Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that was following a previous post would know I had/have been having issues with my 900 and it's stator after replacement.

Since pulling it down and back together the bike has run flawlessly with what I still call a whin in the stator location. I have had enough of fault finding but not finding anything so I have just been riding it waiting for it to explode but as mentioned above it's been flawless.

This brings me into the mods that the 900 needs to at least help me in the future when it gives up it's stator again.

What I have done is installed a SAE plug that is connected straight to the battery so I can use a quick attach charger to help maintain the battery. I also bought a SAE to USB connector so I can use the same plug as a USB charging point so no need to put extra bits on the bike. It's mounted on the laft side in the same panel as the seat release keyhole. Saw others mount it on the right side but it is to close to the exhaust for my liking.

Secondly and more importantly I installed a voltmeter with a combined rev meter on it also. Only really needed the voltage meter but thought a rev meter would be nice since the bike lacks one. Connected the volt meter via a relay that connects directly to the battery and is activated when I switch the key on. This allows me to check the battery without the bike running and once started shows me the charging rate.

Pictures attached.

The volt/rev meter cost me about $15 from Alibaba and the SAE plus were from Amazon and cost me a lot more due to the Aus dollar and having to have them shipped from the US to Aus via a forwarding company.

The SAE plug could be mounted a bit higher but still works fine where it is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How did you wire up the tachometer? I really like that unit. Do you have a link to it you could share?
Made a single fire adoptor and wired it to the negative side of each coil. Very easy to make and easy to access the coils. I used the crimp clips that have a tag on them to allow you to plug another connection onto them. So just unplugged the negative of each coil, plugged the adoptor on and just plugged the negative onto the tag. (Piggy back I guess)

The unit has 3 wires, pos, neg and pickup. So you need to wire up the voltmeter to have the rev meter work.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32809084408.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32809084408&productSubject=NEW-Motorcycle-meter-Refit-digital-tachometer-lingua-electronic-tachometer-with-voltage-50cc-250cclingua&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.SLQyFA#autostay

Thats the link of the one I bought. Took about 2 weeks to arrive with it taking them about a week just to post it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree that the voltmeter and USB charging ports are must-haves, especially for long trips requiring a GPS unit that isn't wired into the bike. I'm getting something similar myself once I actually get the bike, along with some other goodies. Comfort additions really do help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with comfort. The bike has the pads for heated grips but they are not connected. Shouldn't be hard to wire these back up with a simply dial to regulate their temp

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grant,

This is a bit off topic, but how were you able to attach the pictures to your post?
Every time I try to include pictures in a post, it makes me reduce them to pretty much a thumbnail size and they look like garbage.

More on topic, really nice install.

·
Administrator
12,004 Posts
Grant,

This is a bit off topic, but how were you able to attach the pictures to your post?
Every time I try to include pictures in a post, it makes me reduce them to pretty much a thumbnail size and they look like garbage.

Host your pics at one of the many free hosting sites and then link to them. Easiest route.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grant,

I'm using Tapatalk on my phone and it just attaches them for me. Saves external links going down

·
Registered
71 Posts
Made a single fire adoptor and wired it to the negative side of each coil. Very easy to make and easy to access the coils. I used the crimp clips that have a tag on them to allow you to plug another connection onto them. So just unplugged the negative of each coil, plugged the adoptor on and just plugged the negative onto the tag. (Piggy back I guess)

The unit has 3 wires, pos, neg and pickup. So you need to wire up the voltmeter to have the rev meter work.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32809084408.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32809084408&productSubject=NEW-Motorcycle-meter-Refit-digital-tachometer-lingua-electronic-tachometer-with-voltage-50cc-250cclingua&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.SLQyFA#autostay

Thats the link of the one I bought. Took about 2 weeks to arrive with it taking them about a week just to post it out.
I bought the exact same gauge and made the DIY single fir adapter.
At first I used the ground wire which is attached to the diagnostics connector and the brake light feed but only the volts reading was functional showing 10.5 Volts and no more than 11 when cruising. Tach did not even turn on.
Today I used the brown wire coming from the ignition as power and battery's negative pole for ground and everything is working!!!
Volt reading is about 0.5 Volt lower than when connected straight to the battery so I may use a relay. Do you by any chance remember how you connected the relay to power the gauge?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I bought the exact same gauge and made the DIY single fir adapter.
At first I used the ground wire which is attached to the diagnostics connector and the brake light feed but only the volts reading was functional showing 10.5 Volts and no more than 11 when cruising. Tach did not even turn on.
Today I used the brown wire coming from the ignition as power and battery's negative pole for ground and everything is working!!!
Volt reading is about 0.5 Volt lower than when connected straight to the battery so I may use a relay. Do you by any chance remember how you connected the relay to power the gauge?
I used the switched power under the seat to activate the relay with it being connect straight to the battery. Your power you have been using from the tail light will work fine.

Look up how to wire spot lights. Same setup

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Both the charging port and especially the combination voltmeter/rev meter are nice, clean, professional looking, functional additions to your machine.

Good job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts