Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pirellli MT66 Route tire seems to get positive reviews. There are better tires, but I haven't seen any really negative comments on it. The consensus seems to be they are far better than the stock Dunlops, anyway. Pirrelli sells the MT66 in the stock sizes of my 900 Custom (80/90-21) and (180/70-15). They also sell a 170/80-15. Has anyone tryed the 170/80-15 MT66 rear tire? I assume that would lower RPM's and make a correction for the speedo error we all know about. I know others have done this with other brand tires, but haven't heard of it with the MT66. If so, are there any issues like modification to make them fit? I'm really fine with the stock sizes, but the fact that the speedo has always been off has always buged me. I need new rubber and if I can correct the speedo by just buying a different size tire, I'd want to do it. Not to mention the 170/80-15 is a little cheaper. Oh, I did just mention it. :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pirelli Mt 66

I purchased the Pirelli mt 66 tires this summer for all of the reasons you stated in your post......cost, available in 170 size, speedometer corrections and positive reviews. i have nothing but good things to say about the tire.....definitely better than the oem tires. The tires perform better in every way....grip, traction both in the dry and wet. i can't comment on longevity yet. The tire looks attractive on the bike and the 170 back tire size for some reason seems more responsive.. i had my local shop install the tires and other than spending a bit more time removing the saddlebags there were no known issues with fitting the tire....probably a bit tighter fit than stock but no modifications were made. Definitely buy them, i have yet to run across a negative review about this tire......
I just purchased a 2004 BMW r1150 naked roadster and needed to buy new tires. I was so happy with my Pirelli m66's that after reading several reviews on Sport -touring tires i went with the Pirelli brand again, buying Pirelli Angel GT touring tires. I have owned over 20 motorcycles and replaced tires over the years and these are the first 2 sets of Pirellis i have bought. Excellent brand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just wore out my first MT66 170/80/15 with and it had 7,660 miles on it...it was almost a slick down the middle. I replaced it with another identical tire since I like it ok. The front is still good and should make it until this new rear tire is ready to be replaced again. The front seems ok but if the tire pressure gets down below 38 it starts to wobble a little at 35mph with no hands riding....not sure if its the tire that causes that. The oversize tire gives you 2.2 mph increase so kind helps a little on the highway. According to the dealer 7,500 miles is as good as it gets on most of the tires on this bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just wore out my first MT66 170/80/15 with and it had 7,660 miles on it...it was almost a slick down the middle. I replaced it with another identical tire since I like it ok. The front is still good and should make it until this new rear tire is ready to be replaced again. The front seems ok but if the tire pressure gets down below 38 it starts to wobble a little at 35mph with no hands riding....not sure if its the tire that causes that. The oversize tire gives you 2.2 mph increase so kind helps a little on the highway. According to the dealer 7,500 miles is as good as it gets on most of the tires on this bike.
I've been using bridgestone on mine since I replace the oem, and been getting 20K + miles , I'm on my second tire already and probably still have a couple thousand miles yet until next change...I've been thinking to replace for the 170 size...

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Pirellli MT66 Route tire seems to get positive reviews. There are better tires, but I haven't seen any really negative comments on it. The consensus seems to be they are far better than the stock Dunlops, anyway. Pirrelli sells the MT66 in the stock sizes of my 900 Custom (80/90-21) and (180/70-15). They also sell a 170/80-15. Has anyone tryed the 170/80-15 MT66 rear tire? I assume that would lower RPM's and make a correction for the speedo error we all know about. I know others have done this with other brand tires, but haven't heard of it with the MT66. If so, are there any issues like modification to make them fit? I'm really fine with the stock sizes, but the fact that the speedo has always been off has always buged me. I need new rubber and if I can correct the speedo by just buying a different size tire, I'd want to do it. Not to mention the 170/80-15 is a little cheaper. Oh, I did just mention it. :eek:
Installed Pirelli MT66 170/80/15 rear 130/90/16 front 7,000 miles ago last year. Very satisfied with the results - corrected the speedo error and the tread wear is minimal so far! No modification necessary for fit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I ride in a lot of hot weather...100 degrees plus so maybe that is why this area only gets a little over 7,000 miles out of a tire. tcrider...what model Bridgestone tire are you running for 20,000 miles? I'm interested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I run the RT 66 170/80 with Scootworks rear pulley and I like the highway feel. Considering the obscene price for tires the Pirelli was in the budget. There were no fitment problems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'll be ordering the Route 66's. I like the Michelin Commander 2, as well, but I'd have to know they were going to significantly out perform miliage wise, before I'd spend the extra bucks. Anyway, It seems everyone likes the lower RPM's the 170 brings for highway speeds, but I wonder if there is a trade off on power and accelleration of the lower gears? I do like the looks of the width of the 180. I may miss that. As a side note, does the 170 look significantly narrower than the 180?

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can feel a little difference in pulling power in 5th gear but very little...you will not notice it in lower gears. Its only 2.2 mph difference so very small difference but nice in 5th gear...especially with an overdrive pulley.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Route 66

I can barely tell the difference in width from the 170 tire compared to the 180.....the 170 on its own is pretty wide.....just a tad taller than the 180.....go for it you won't regret it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more concern.......
The MT66 80/90-21 is listed as a TT (tube type) tire. My Custom has mag wheels and has tubeless tires. Can the TT tire be mounted tubeless or must a tube be used with it? Sorry to drag this thread on, but I haven't found an answer in my searches.

So many considerations......... I guess if it were easy, it wouldn't be any fun! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ride in a lot of hot weather...100 degrees plus so maybe that is why this area only gets a little over 7,000 miles out of a tire. tcrider...what model Bridgestone tire are you running for 20,000 miles? I'm interested.
Bridgestone Exedra G702 rear tire and bridgestone excedra for front tire, I can't remember exactly which model is the front tire...
Most of my riding is on the highway and I keep the pressure at 40 lbs on my tires.. I live in south florida and we also have times of hot weather...:)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tires

I am sure the heat is a factor for your tire wear. I have seen lots of tire failure due to highway heat. I have a set of Metzlers on my 07 with 12,000 mi. on them. I have at least 1/3 tire wear left on the rear and the front looks like it will be good for another rear tire replacement only.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One more concern.......
The MT66 80/90-21 is listed as a TT (tube type) tire. My Custom has mag wheels and has tubeless tires. Can the TT tire be mounted tubeless or must a tube be used with it? ...
you need a TL type to fit it tubeless. If you fit TT (with a tube!) you've lost what most folk regard as an advantage of running with tubeless tyres. There should be plenty of 80/90-21 TL tyres available.

While I'm on, I've used Bridgestone Exedras on a Honda Shadow and can recommend the rear G702 but not the front G701. The G701 'tramlines' badly, tries to follow groves, markings and ridges in the road surface. Someone else on here who fitted Exedras commented that happened to him too (was the guy who had trouble with new MT66's and had the Exedras fitted instead).

PS. I'd happily fit the Bridgestone G702 to the rear while the original front Dunlop is on, looks like that's going to last at least two rears.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I put the MT66 80/90-21 TT on my Custom (with tube). The dealer insisted that he had put that tire on other bikes without a tube, but that didn't sound safe to me. I like the Pirellis and I've had great results with Metzlers, but neither of them makes the OEM front tire tubeless. Not sure what I'll do next time around, I like the tire, but I don't like the fact that I had to put a tube in it. I'll probably end up trying a different make.

·
Registered
95 Posts
also take a look at the 90/90 21 for the front.
I replaced mine with one and it feels so much better.
which make SteveK?

I've read of a few 90/90-21 's fitted and some have clearance problems. Maybe some makes fit better than others?

PS. think you were right to do that SteveJB (ie. with tube in a TT)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a Michelin Commander II, it had clearance issues when installed, rode it home and the tire popped into shape and the fender fit with no issue. I rode the whole summer/fall on it, and even with it hit the tar snakes it didn't loose tracking. Got the 90/90 21 and a 170/80 15 for my Custom and I would give 2 tubs up on these tires so far.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My last front tire was the Metz 90/90. I liked the look and feel of it, but there was only about 1.5mm clearance to the fender bolts and about 2mm to the fender. Every piece of gravel the tire picked up scraped the inside of the fender. I was going to try modifying the fender mounts but then the tire was cupped and started a front end wobble so I ordered the tubeless MT66 in the OEM size but when I got it I saw it said "Tube Type" on the sidewall. Some quick research told me they didn't make that size tubless so I complained to the seller, they corrected their listing and offered to exchange the tire but they didn't have anything in that size I liked so I paid for the tube when I had it mounted. It's going to be a couple years before I need to replace it so Pirelli and Metz have time to come up with the right tire before I need it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts