Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. First post here, so be gentle. I'm taking my MSF course this Saturday and was wondering if anyone on here had taken theirs at Sunshine's in Lawrenceville, GA? One thing that is giving me second thoughts about my choice is that it is only a one-day course (excluding the riding exam) and from what I've seen, most courses are at least two days. I found the course through the MSF website, so I would assume it is reputable, and I have spent some time on scooters as well as driving a stick shift daily, so I am hoping that everything will be OK. They do offer additional seat time before the exam (at additional $$, of course) prior to the exam if needed.

I'm holding off on hunting for a bike (except for a little internet research) until after I've taken the course just in the unlikely case that I really decide that it's not for me, but I'm sure I'll be back next week to bend some ears.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It depends on how many other people are in the course. If it's only one day, they probably limit the amount of riders to ten or less. One day is plenty of time to cover everything in the course, so long as the instructor is good at it and is assertive about what you are doing wrong and what you can do to make it better.

When I took the basic course, it was only a one day course because it was offered for free when I was in the Air Force and it was during a duty day, so they try to limit your down time at work. But they had plenty of time to explain and demonstrate all of the exercises well enough that everyone in the course passed just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was a 3 day class, but that was 3-4 hours of classroom on a Friday night, noon till 5 on Saturday, noon till about 3 on Sunday and then we did the riding exam. There was also another session that sat with us for the classroom portion on Friday but they did their riding from 7 till noon on Sat and Sunday. We had 11 riders in my session and there were 20 something people in the classroom so there was a good bit of time spent waiting for other people.

With fewer people a good instructor should be able to fit all of the material into a single day. My concern would be mental fatigue. IMO it was good to let the first riding day's training have time to "sink in" before moving on to the rest of the exercises.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Attached is a link to the NC schedule for the course I took in South Carolina, over three days (Friday evening in classroom, then all day Saturday and Sunday on a bike that they supplied). I thought the course was excellent, with a great deal of stress on SAFE RIDING!

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NC

Have now been riding for three years, about 25K miles, and I still use what I learned. Money well spent.

I think you have the right idea about buying a bike - take the course, make sure it is right for you, then decide on what to buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When i took mine it was 3 days. We really didn't learn much after the 1st day it was people practicing what they were taught.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine was 3 days (if memory serves). I took the Rider's Edge (Harley sponsored) course, and it was about 85% of really good class time (over half of it in the saddle) and 15% discussion of which model of Harley or Buell we were going to buy, and which HD accessories would suit our riding the best. I was pretty quiet during that part.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had 4 classes. 2 Thursdays (full group, about 20 people, 6-8:30), then 2 Sundays (8-12:30). The sunday classes were split with half of the thursday class going saturday and the other half on sunday. Thursdays were in class reading/discussion, and Sat/Sun were riding. At the end of the class on the 2nd Sat/Sun if you passed the skills test they stamped your permit (If you passed the 50 question test you had on the 2nd Thursday). I learned alot and would recommend it to everyone. especially when they cover emergency manuevers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was 3 days (if memory serves). I took the Rider's Edge (Harley sponsored) course, and it was about 85% of really good class time (over half of it in the saddle) and 15% discussion of which model of Harley or Buell we were going to buy, and which HD accessories would suit our riding the best. I was pretty quiet during that part.
We didn't have much of that in my session but I got the impression that the morning session was like that. Being in the afternoon session meant I was with all the 18 year old crotch rocket boys who can't get out of bed before noon.

That first night when the instructors went around the room and had us all introduce ourselves, part of the introduction was supposed to be "what bike do you have or plan to get" and everybody in the morning rode alphabet soup, apparently. Lots of "I've got a Harley FLMNOPQ with the chrome dimplewinkers" or some such, assuming that everybody else knows or cares about the HD model codes. When it was my turn I was sorely tempted to say I rode an "FUFANBOY" but I figured there was no need to stir the pot like that. :D

(ETA: Nothing against Harley's or Harley riders, just a general disdain for people so insecure that they need to exclude others by doing things like using model number lingo instead of just saying "Road King" or "Fat Boy.)

·
Registered
742 Posts
length... irrelevant. content... most important! as well as the teacher...

mine was a day and a half and then the riding test at the end of it. the teachers were excellent! had alot of information to add, even stuff not addressed in the test books.

i enjoyed taking it and it did open my eyes up a bit. however, reality plays a big roll when riding on the road and seeing that people out there just don't give a sh!t whether you are on a bike, in a car, or even in a big rig it doesn't matter!!! stay alert, be safe and stay alive!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi, all. First post here, so be gentle. I'm taking my MSF course this Saturday and was wondering if anyone on here had taken theirs at Sunshine's in Lawrenceville, GA? One thing that is giving me second thoughts about my choice is that it is only a one-day course (excluding the riding exam) and from what I've seen, most courses are at least two days. I found the course through the MSF website, so I would assume it is reputable, and I have spent some time on scooters as well as driving a stick shift daily, so I am hoping that everything will be OK. They do offer additional seat time before the exam (at additional $$, of course) prior to the exam if needed.

I'm holding off on hunting for a bike (except for a little internet research) until after I've taken the course just in the unlikely case that I really decide that it's not for me, but I'm sure I'll be back next week to bend some ears.

Thanks all.
Ours up here in Mass. took 2 days: first day was classroom/test for 7 hrs., second day was all riding for about 9 hours. We were given several options when signing up, but "one day" wasn't one of them: Couldn't have squeezed what we covered into one day.

Ours cost $275.00, and it was worth every cent.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Thanks all.
DO NOT TAKE YOUR COURSE THERE!!! IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT AFTER TAKING THE COURSE!!! YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO TEST AT THE DMV!!!

I took the one day course. You get hardly any classroom time. The riding portion is very rushed. It is too much for one day!!! And, you will have to rent a bike from them to take your motorcycle road test because you do not get the MSF endorsement when you complete the class. The school is NOT endorsed by MSF!!! GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND TAKE THE STATE COURSE OR THE HARLEY RIDERS EDGE COURSE!!!

·
Banned
593 Posts
Being in the afternoon session meant I was with all the 18 year old crotch rocket boys who can't get out of bed before noon.
Hey, KRB - I resent that. Even as 40 approaches the horizon in the distance, I still have trouble getting out of bed before noon! :p

J/K - about resenting it, that is . . . hehehe.

I took the Rider's Edge course as well. I did the 3-day course, and it was great. Our class size was limited to 6 students, and that was pretty much perfect. Day one was pure classroom, and the other two days were almost pure riding, with a few videos and discussions scattered throughout.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DO NOT TAKE YOUR COURSE THERE!!! IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT AFTER TAKING THE COURSE!!! YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO TEST AT THE DMV!!!

I took the one day course. You get hardly any classroom time. The riding portion is very rushed. It is too much for one day!!! And, you will have to rent a bike from them to take your motorcycle road test because you do not get the MSF endorsement when you complete the class. The school is NOT endorsed by MSF!!! GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND TAKE THE STATE COURSE OR THE HARLEY RIDERS EDGE COURSE!!!
Ouch. I guess I should have done more research before signing up. I just read the policies and there are no refunds, so I guess I will take it and hope for the best. Do you recall how much they charged to rent a bike for the test? How could they be on the MSF list of schools if they are not endorsed by the MSF? I'll keep you posted on my own experience.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I took the 3 day also. Took it in the late fall so the class was almost empty. Got plenty of riding time in. I would recommend it to anyone! It was well worth it. The information was very helpful and they helped break/avoid some bad habits.

·
Registered
735 Posts
How could they be on the MSF list of schools if they are not endorsed by the MSF?

Who are these guys? What training do they have? How do you know what they're teaching isn't a bunch of crap?

Instead of taking the class and "hoping for the best," you should demand a refund backed with a threat to take them to small-claims court. I'd also raise a stink with the MSF. JM2C.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just took my msf course this past weekend after 16 yrs of driving on a permit and the course was 3 days long 3hrs of class room on friday night ,5hrs of riding saturday then 2-3 hrs class with the written exam and then sunday was 4 hrs of riding and course exam was a lot of fun even though I have been riding for so long . I say the exam you are taking is for advanced riders as they have a 1 day course and you don't get a endorsement from that either . As I am pretty sure all states require 15-16hrs of msf to get a license .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ouch. I guess I should have done more research before signing up. I just read the policies and there are no refunds, so I guess I will take it and hope for the best. Do you recall how much they charged to rent a bike for the test? How could they be on the MSF list of schools if they are not endorsed by the MSF? I'll keep you posted on my own experience.
I didn't rent a bike from them since I knew I was not ready for the DMV test after taking their course (they give you a certificate that says you passed the sunshine course but like I said, the DMV doesn't recognize it). To rent their bike, you have to take the test at the DMV nearest them, somewhere in Lawrenceville. I sucked it up and signed up for the MSF course in Conyers (at the DMV). They offered weekday and week-end courses. I took a Tuesday and Wednesday course. The course started at 8am and ended at 6pm. WinH, where are you in metro Atlanta?

·
Registered
146 Posts
SunShines School Curriculum

I copied this from her site. Note that she gives a PRE TEST at the end of the course, not the REAL TEST!!!

Basic / Beginner Riding Course

Rider orientation of motorcycle controls and operation
Proper mounting and dismounting, motorcycle handling
Straight line riding by Yourself with controlled stops
Lane changes, Curves, Gradual Stopping in a Curve
Tight Ninety Degree Turns
Sharp Turns from a Stop

Finish with the Emergency Techniques Course
Riding with control in timing zones
Offset Weaves
Tight Lane changes through Obstacles
Curves and Urgent Quick Stops in a curve
Shifting. U-Turns
Emergency Swerve and Stop
Pre-Test is given You'll take your riding exam on our small motorcycle,
on our Exam Day to receive your
State of GA Motorcycle License, By appointment

Note: With any Riding School in GA, You Must Pass a Riding Exam
to Receive your GA MC License. No school can just Give you a license
or waiver because you took the course.
You must Pass Both Written & Riding
We give a Riding Pre-Test 1st to see if you're ready. Not a Pass or Fail Course,
Pass when you're Ready to Receive your Motorcycle License

Notice what I high lighted...she's a riding school, not a MSF Program. Her instructors don't have the MSF teachers endorsement. I would like to know how Harley Davidsons Riders Edge Program works. Do you get the MSF card to take to the DMV after you finish their course?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts