Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders!

This fall I finally moved up to a full-sized Vulcan S from the little bikes (160, 125) I had been riding before. Since it was too late to get into one of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses here, I took the "Street Strategies eCourse" online. (I'll get to the full courses next spring when they again will be available.)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this online course as an excellent brush up anyone can take at any time. Last night it saved my bacon for sure, I spotted a vehicle approaching on a side road and went into avoid mode, preparing to stop or avoid if necessary. The vehicle blew its stop sign and wound up half way into my lane. Being prepared, I was able to stop well back and waited to see what he would do. He then started up and drove right into an oncoming car going the opposite direction. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ME If I had not been following the observe, identify danger and prepere to avoid lessons of the e-course!

Ride safely everyone! - Randy

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good advice! While you're at it, sign up for a Bike Bonding Course. It's the same material covered in the basic MSF course (which I'm assuming you've already taken), except it's on YOUR bike. I gained a lot of good knowledge and confidence on my Vaquero by taking that class last fall, even on a bike I'd owned for over 2 years!

Taking m/c classes on a regular basis is just a good idea.

-John

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DraKhen99 -

Great idea. Taking a course where you can use and practice with your own bike is the best alternative. Here in north eastern Illinois we have an MSF "Advanced" course specifically designed for just that purpose, so we have two alternatives counting the Harley sponsored Bike Bonding Course you described. I'm definitely going to take one of these come this spring when they will again be available. Thanks for your contribution! - Randy

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks DraKhen99 -

Great idea. Taking a course where you can use and practice with your own bike is the best alternative. Here in north eastern Illinois we have an MSF "Advanced" course specifically designed for just that purpose, so we have two alternatives counting the Harley sponsored Bike Bonding Course you described. I'm definitely going to take one of these come this spring when they will again be available. Thanks for your contribution! - Randy
Outstanding! I'm trying to get my wife to sign up for it, and now that I bought a new bike (2019 Street Glide Special), I'm looking to take it again, even though the Vaquero and SGS are very similar in size/weight.

Like I said, I got a ton out of that class, and I can always use the practice. There was a guy in the class on a Road King. When he got there, he took off his bags and put plastic protectors on his frame and engine guards. I asked him why, and he said he's been practicing a ton and dropping his bike, and the protectors keep his guards looking nice. He was really pushing the limits of his bike, and sure enough he dropped it in class. No damage! Reminds me to get some saddlebag guards for my bike lol.

-John

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DraKhen99

Another good point. I just bought used R & G crash bars for my new bike, partially due to the same thinking . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts