Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The safety classes are hard to come by where I live. The closest one that I could find was 150 miles away, one way. That one does classes once a month and the date in April and May just wont work.

So, since we (wife and I) have to get a motel anyway we signed up to take the weekend class next week at a Harley Davidson Dealership 300 miles away, one way :eek: . LOL we gonna spend 500 bucks on the class for the two of us, 300 in motel rooms, and who knows what on food and other items.

I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 that I bought used. Wife has always wanted a Harley. Egads this might be a 20,000 dollar weekend :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That sucks that you have to go so far for the class. Here in Ohio, they have them locally almost everywhere, but they fill up fast. Good course, but they're crowded and you share bikes. So, there's a LOT of standing around and waiting. So, it definitely had it's pros and cons.

My significant other took his course at a Harley dealership some years ago, and he loved it. Small class - only 6 or 7 people. Everybody had their own bike, and they were bigger bikes than I had. So, they rode a lot more, and had more 1-on-1 instruction. $300 vs $25 that I paid. He said he'd do it again in a heartbeat.

But, if it does become a $20,000 course, I think you'd enjoy it . . . LOL!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
That sucks that you have to go so far for the class. Here in Ohio, they have them locally almost everywhere, but they fill up fast. Good course, but they're crowded and you share bikes. So, there's a LOT of standing around and waiting. So, it definitely had it's pros and cons.

My significant other took his course at a Harley dealership some years ago, and he loved it. Small class - only 6 or 7 people. Everybody had their own bike, and they were bigger bikes than I had. So, they rode a lot more, and had more 1-on-1 instruction. $300 vs $25 that I paid. He said he'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Ditto around here as well. Lots of classes and they all fill up fast until late summer. I applaud your efforts to get some good instruction. HD classes are expensive here as well. The local colleges seem to have Illinois certified classes for $25 which is refundable if you want it back. Enjoy the weekend!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Luckily when I took mine many years ago we didn't have to share bikes, we each had our own. It does make me happy to hear that they are filling up fast and packed full for nothing else other than some of the interesting riding habits I see around Columbus. Sucks that you have had to go to such great lengths, but happy to hear you stuck with it!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Luckily when I took mine many years ago we didn't have to share bikes, we each had our own. It does make me happy to hear that they are filling up fast and packed full for nothing else other than some of the interesting riding habits I see around Columbus. Sucks that you have had to go to such great lengths, but happy to hear you stuck with it!
Yeah, it was years ago when I took mine, too, and they were full then!!

Oh, and that was probably me you saw with the interesting riding habits . . . LOL!!:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

My wife took hers at a Harley dealership and had the same experience. MO isn't a state that offsets the cost of the MSF course so it was either $250 at the local college; or $325 at the Harley Dealership. $75 difference in price with a smaller class and no standing around seemed worth it. She enjoyed it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here in Texas they are about $235 and since 2009 the class is required inorder to get your license. It now takes the place of the road test.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found a course nearby (within 60 miles) put on by a school district comunity program. It's only $155 and a 12 student limit, but I would pay much more than that for something that will help contribute to keeping me from a bad case of road rash.:cowboy:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Damn...

Here in PA, classes are FREE and everywhere. It's hard NOT to find an available location and time slot.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
IN most places, the course does satisfy the riding test requirements to get the endorsement.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I know one of the local community colleges used to offer it, but you had go through the hassle of enrolling in the school, setting up the class,... , well become a student. After that it's the HD dealers. I have not taken it, and it is not required in VA, but if you do you don't have to take their road course. Just take the written test and you are licensed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we went and did the class. I passed it but my wife had trouble with the controls and coordination of them. So she might start out with a scooter for a while and build up. Our instructors were great, classroom work fun and very very informative. We rode the course on Buell Blasts. It just happened to be record highs this last weekend and temps were 102 in Wichita. Of course we were in our long sleeve shirts, boots, gloves, etc.

I have to say that the total cost was well worth it. I have ridden my bike up and down our highway here and was nervous and not too confident, but thought I would learn by just doing it. I learned in one weekend what may have taken years and also might have saved my or someone else's life.

Now its about a 2 week wait for the paperwork to get done and all of that, but now I will be legal and to me even more important... a lot safer rider.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here, MSF is only $75 less than Rider's Edge so I decided I would rather have the extra riding time. (Plus I know the instructor and he's amazing)

One of our friends took the MSF course, graduated, promptly dropped his brand new Triumph twice...and has now lost his confidence. His bike is sitting in our garage while he decides if he's going to sell it. I think that extra riding time would have helped him.

Our local HD dealership is now using the Harley 500s. I'm looking forward to my class next month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts