Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if these will work on a 900? The application chart shows only the 800 and 1500. I like the look of these better than the regular lowers as they cover more space.

Here's a link to them: http://memphisshades.com/fork-deflectors

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the lowers, but these fork defelctors look larger which would prevent more wind from coming up, which is the effect I am looking at.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I know they won't go on the custom. I tried to find a close up pic of the classic fork to be sure, but it looks like the directionals will get in the way. The bike in the pic has the directionals mounted to the headlight so the deflector fits behind them. On the custom the directionals mount right to the fork so they would interfere with the deflectors. If the mount is different on the classic, it may just be a matter of making sure you get the right diameter clamps. Call or write to Memphis, they're really good about sharing info

·
Registered
113 Posts
MS mounts + cut your own lowers?

I was looking at the lowers, but these fork defelctors look larger which would prevent more wind from coming up, which is the effect I am looking at.
I've been having the same debate -- I've got a Custom, with the MS batwing and the accessory 'wind deflectors' (extensions that drop down behind the turnsignals for extra protection). But, there is still some air that comes up from "under" the fairing and then spills over the gas tank. My dad just got the OEM lowers for his 900LT and says that they make a positive difference (similar to other comments in previous posts). The Classic/LT will mount the lowers (whatever brand) differently because they can be clamped to the fork covers.

The only picture I've been able to find of what the MS lowers mounts might look like for the Custom is here: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memphis-shades-lowers-mounting-kit-various-cruisers/part/MEM9884 They appear to clamp to the fork just above the turn signals and then extend down (behind?) to some point below the signals, where the plastic lowers would then be located.

Since you have to buy the mounts separate from the actual little plastic lowers, I've been wondering if it might be a good idea to buy just the mounts specific to the Custom, and then purchase a sheet of good quality lexan/abs plastic, etc and cut my own to fit my needs...

Has anyone here done this for a Custom???

·
Registered
16 Posts
RE

I bought the MS lowers for my custom and they fit, but I had to do some triming for the directionals. I will try to get a picture this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steve900c., how do you like the MS batwing on your custom? I have been seriously thinking about that one with some hard bags. I'm also looking at the Wille and Max touring kit, but don't know if the 900 charging system is up to the added load of the radio.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lowers and Batwing

Rick50 -- that's a great how-to for very reasonable lowers. For any fairing that doesn't come all the way down to the turn signal mounts, they would work really well. The issue for me is that the MS batwing wraps around the headlight and, with the wind deflectors in place, actually dips behind the turn signals -- the signal stalks/clamps can't be moved up at all.

loganwildman -- I really like the batwing. I didn't want/need any electronics behind the fairing, so this was a great combo of not too much weight with excellent upper body wind protection (though some buffeting still, which is why I'm looking into the MS lowers.) I actually just put the Mutazu hard bags on the bike last week and love the look + storage capacity now. I don't have a picture yet, but the 900C of another member of the forums, whiting57, served as my inspiration (see: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19853). My Mustang seat and green paint give a slightly different look, but you get the idea...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since you have to buy the mounts separate from the actual little plastic lowers, I've been wondering if it might be a good idea to buy just the mounts specific to the Custom, and then purchase a sheet of good quality lexan/abs plastic, etc and cut my own to fit my needs...

Has anyone here done this for a Custom???
http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html

I used this site as a model and made my own from black lexan I got off the bay. I cut a template from cardboard then traced the outline with a silver craft pen then cut the lowers with a dremel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts