Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a batwing, but I want to put on a light bar. Is this even possible? I'm not above modifying the fairing and/or the light bar, and I still want to be able to take the quick detach fairing off.

To complicate matters, I've got a Cobra engine guard, which I'm told won't work with the Kaw light bar. Is there a way to move the turn signals & make the Kaw bar work? I like the looks of it better than the Cobra bar.

I don't want to buy this stuff and find out the hard (and expensive!) way that it won't work, so I'm coming here for the wealth of information to be had (just in case sucking up helps).

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bb,, batwings were made for light bars. 57 will pop in with a pik of his soon nuff. go find you one. cobra makes some nice stuff.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bb,, batwings were made for light bars. 57 will pop in with a pik of his soon nuff. go find you one. cobra makes some nice stuff.
Things are lookin' up!

Any thoughts on making the Kaw light bar work with the Cobra crash bar?

Thanks, man.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Bill. I have the cobra light bar. To remove the fairing the lights must be loosen and tilted forward, then take it off. I put round velcro dots on the fairing to stop the lights rubbing the paint. For pics type in my mistress is complete in the search as im using my phone. I do not have crash bars.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill. I have the cobra light bar. To remove the fairing the lights must be loosen and tilted forward, then take it off. I put round velcro dots on the fairing to stop the lights rubbing the paint. For pics type in my mistress is complete in the search as im using my phone. I do not have crash bars.
Thanks for the pic. Any pics without the fairing? I'm concerned that the signals on the Cobra light bar will stick out farther than I'd like. Looks great on your bike though, with the 2-tone paint. Mine's black.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Any pics without the fairing? I'm concerned that the signals on the Cobra light bar will stick out farther than I'd like. Looks great on your bike though, with the 2-tone paint. Mine's black.

Hope this helps ...cheers

before batwing

black batwing before paint

side view

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
BTW ....i have no idea why the cobra lights would not work with the cobra crashbar ... to me they sit higher than the top of any crash bar.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Bill, I have a Cobra Freeway engine guard on my 2009 Classic LT and also have the Kawasaki light bar. They work together. The only time the turn signal gets close to the engine guard is when the motorcycle is parked and the front wheel is naturally turned to the left. Then it is close but it still has room - no rubbing... look at the front view pic of my motorcycle in my album.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW ....i have no idea why the cobra lights would not work with the cobra crashbar ... to me they sit higher than the top of any crash bar.
Actually, it's the Kawi light bar, with the signals hanging down that supposedly won't work with the Cobra crash bar. But ol'school's post has me thinking that may be overstated, too.

You guys are aces!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill, I have a Cobra Freeway engine guard on my 2009 Classic LT and also have the Kawasaki light bar. They work together. The only time the turn signal gets close to the engine guard is when the motorcycle is parked and the front wheel is naturally turned to the left. Then it is close but it still has room - no rubbing... look at the front view pic of my motorcycle in my album.
When you say Cobra Freeway engine guard, are you referring to the crash bar that bolts to the frame by the horn and by the floorboards? I can't make it out in your avatar and my computer won't access profiles.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey 57 - did you ever have a windshield on your classic, or did you put the batwing on right away? I'm just wondering about the difference in 'feel' between the two. More/less buffeting etc.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey 57 - did you ever have a windshield on your classic, or did you put the batwing on right away? I'm just wondering about the difference in 'feel' between the two. More/less buffeting etc.

Kerry
The LT "sail" offered a lot of protection, while i liked what it offered, i didn't like the way it angled on the bike .Hand protection was minimal, how ever in rain it was awesome. I could have drilled out the bottom holes on the bracket so it would change the angle and follow the forks line and give a better visual, but i really liked the batwing look.

I went with a 9"shield, a compromise between form and function(I'm 5' 10"), it does deflect the wind well, rain beads down the inside of the shield and offers good protection against the elements. The one thing i think it does offer, is better hand protection against the cold.There is some movement available to angle the shield / fairing provided you don't have a headlight visor ... I do.

I'm happy with the way it sits, the angle that i have it at and the overall look. Might not be good for everyone, but its perfect for me. Today i ordered some lowers for the fairing, i have heard that this makes a difference with wind noise ... time will tell when i get them on.

I found that the wind noise was about the same for both, regardless, i wear ear plugs when i ride anyway. Sorry for the late reply

cheers Maurice

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good to hear. I am going from the Kaw shield to the Tsukayu batwing and was worried about buffeting as well. Hope I don't regret getting rid of the giant clear wall, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts