Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 900 custom about a month ago, and this is the first bike I've had that doesn't have a tach. I feel like there is a lot of room left to rev, but don't know where I'm at in the rev range. Has someone with a Tach figured out what their speed is at redline (rev limiter) in all the gears? Mostly, 1, 2 and 3 (if 3rd isn't going too fast).

Maybe speeds at:
1st - 6000 rpm and redline
2nd - 6000 rpm and redline
3rd - 6000 and redline

Has anyone done this, or be willing to do this?

Thanks
-Hayes

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I googled the primary reduction. Does this look right?

Thanks for the link and info MrClean.

-Hayes

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and at redline

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, but.

I've always found that when I'm hitting cutout my speedo, which has the Scootworks pulley on it, is showing about 40 mph. Now, with the 6% correction that the pulley gives you on the speedo and the base being about 9-10% off you get accurate readings at cutout by entering -4%. At least my speedo and GPS say 40(speedo) and 38-39(gps) when my cutout is hitting. If you don't have the scoots pulley you probably need to enter -9 or 10% to get what your actual speed will be. Its all confusing I know. Do you want what the speed Actually is, looks like on your speedo, rpm it should be? Anyways it should all be straight math, but regularly I notice it doesn't look quite right if I put the numbers in the way I read the instructions, this only with the speedo correction and that's only for the factory, non-modded speedo.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but.

I've always found that when I'm hitting cutout my speedo, which has the Scootworks pulley on it, is showing about 40 mph. Now, with the 6% correction that the pulley gives you on the speedo and the base being about 9-10% off you get accurate readings at cutout by entering -4%. At least my speedo and GPS say 40(speedo) and 38-39(gps) when my cutout is hitting. If you don't have the scoots pulley you probably need to enter -9 or 10% to get what your actual speed will be. Its all confusing I know. Do you want what the speed Actually is, looks like on your speedo, rpm it should be? Anyways it should all be straight math, but regularly I notice it doesn't look quite right if I put the numbers in the way I read the instructions, this only with the speedo correction and that's only for the factory, non-modded speedo.

I do not have the scoot pulley ( future mod), my main concern is that I am afraid to rev too high, but sometimes I feel like I am shifting too low. My ride to school this morning was a good one (cold, but good). I rode first gear through 40 mph(speeo). I just wanted a handle on how high the engine was revving when I was shifting. Seems like 25-30 is a reasonable shifting point from 1st to 2nd.

Thanks for all the help MrClean.

-Hayes

·
Registered
84 Posts
i usually shift out of first at 25ish, out of 2nd at 40ish, out of 3rd at 55ish, etc... i have the SW pulley.

S

·
0 Posts
I have the original front & rear pulley. I usually switch gears like aaron5140.
shift out of 1st 25ish
out of 2nd 40ish
out of 3rd 55ish
out of 4th 70ish
at around 90ish start wishing I had a 6th gear. I dont really need to go any faster than that so I am content. I have had it a little over 100 a few times but it seemed like my bike did not like it much.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I usually shift at the rev limiter.

Actually, the bike is a smaller motor made to rap out a little bit. Probably woudln't hurt you to hit the limiter at least once a week.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I usually shift at the rev limiter.

Actually, the bike is a smaller motor made to rap out a little bit. Probably woudln't hurt you to hit the limiter at least once a week.
Interesting, I do on occasion twist the throttle hard and winder her tight and have yet to hit the rev limiter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This might be a dumb question but how do you know when you have hit the limiter?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well if it was anything like my modified 5.0 Capri when the rev limiter was hit you would feel a drastic loss of power and occasionally a pop or 2 in the exhaust. With the MSD type ignition it randomly cancels cylinders to keep the engine RPM from climbing. It does it VERY fast too. I am guessing, but have not done it myself, that it alternates betwixt cyls 1 and 2.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your hitting the limiter on this bike your putting it thru unnecessary wear and tear. It is designed for low end torque and really falls on its face about 2/3 of the way to the limiter. So grab the next gear and stop punishing your motor.:confused:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, if the highway is open in front of you, twist the throttle after you pull on and leave it in 2nd. OR if you're sitting somewhere where the noise isn't a problem, with the clutch pulled in rotate the throttle. In either case the engine will get up to about 7200 and then it will pulse as the rev limiter cuts it off and lets it back on. If you've ever seen a sport bike show or seen them in a group at a stop light you've probably heard one go brrrrrrrap bap bap bap bap bap brrrrrr as they let off. You'll get up around 70 and it'll cut out. Hit it a couple times and shift to third and hold on till around 97? for me. Same thing.

You won't hit it in 4th, least I never have.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah they also tell u to run your tires at low pressures too. Just listen to the engine. My bike would be sputtering if I shifted that early

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Yeah they also tell u to run your tires at low pressures too. Just listen to the engine. My bike would be sputtering if I shifted that early
Mine does fine at lower RPM. That's just cruising at those low speeds, though.
If I'm trying to accelerate harder, or have a hill or grade to climb, I'll stay in a lower gear longer. I bought a V-twin for the low RPM pulling power.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts