Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 I bought new in 2008. I have checked with other people I ride with and my MPH indicator is almost 10 MPH fast. e.g. I am running 80 MPH when they are running 70 MPH.:confused: This is a stock bike, stock tires, etc. Is there a way to adjust the odometer?
Thanks in advance for your response!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Perception is Reality

Hello All, I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 I bought new in 2008. I have checked with other people I ride with and my MPH indicator is almost 10 MPH fast. e.g. I am running 80 MPH when they are running 70 MPH.:confused: This is a stock bike, stock tires, etc. Is there a way to adjust the odometer? Thanks in advance for your response!
jc, well there son there be many way to fix this here problem. most folks see problem(s) within their own sphere of influence, ie. my bike is the problem. but I offer that when problems arise consider that it may be the folks you ride with were the error may actually lay. So my advice is to "get yerself some new freinds",,, preferably who ride something like yors and "Whallah"! the problem automaticaly goes away. yor welcome. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
maybe their miles are smaller over there? it's relative.

I do enough mental math to keep out of the blue light zone, but still don't understand why Kaw didn't get it right!?!?!? Woody
wood'str, it aint like this is just a kaw issue. all the yap bikes have 10% error built in. it might be their conversion factor from km's. or they just do math diffrin' over there? I'v owned mor n dozen yappers.. honders, zooks, yams n kows and ALL of them have this problem. my hardly dont. nor the goose. but them yaps do make good skoots, so indicated speed is just relative. or is it proportional? somethings is best to just let it go. out, ponch

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Triumph America was the same way, about 10% off. I wonder if this messes up the actual milage. I know my true speed through my GPS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
jc, well there son there be many way to fix this here problem. most folks see problem(s) within their own sphere of influence, ie. my bike is the problem. but I offer that when problems arise consider that it may be the folks you ride with were the error may actually lay. So my advice is to "get yerself some new freinds",,, preferably who ride something like yors and "Whallah"! the problem automaticaly goes away. yor welcome. out, ponch
Or you can keep your friends, get a GPS and follow it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
on my previous bike ,a M109R, i dissasembled the whole spedometer housing allowing me to, by hand ,move the pointer countrclockwise an eight inch or so and results were pretty darn good according to my gps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on the '09 2000 I bought new two months ago. I took my bike in for the initial service a few weeks ago and told the dealer about the problem. I mentioned seeing the issue listed on some forums. The dealer told me it was the speedometer cable, and said he was ordering a new one. I'll see how that goes, I'll probably be bringing it back in again and again until it's fixed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When we triked out our Vulcan we lost 5 MPH so when I am cruising at 80 actually i am at 75. I actually like it like that keeps the cops off me also.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
and you bet your money, skoot n life on these guys?

I took my bike in for the initial service The dealer told me it was the speedometer cable, and said he was ordering a new one. I'll probably be bringing it back in again and again until it's fixed.
vito, Competency is not a dealers strong suit. these bikes dont have speedo cables. they use electronic speedos, fed from the ECU that get thier pickups from the tranny output. it is a fixed setting, you cant adjust. w/o external device or gear changes. Jap bikes have a built in 10% error. live with it. I am amazed (No, not any longer) at all the remarks folks write that dealers (apprentice techs) tell them. The more I read, the less chance I would ever trust a dealer.. do they know where to put air in the tires? I doubt it. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
is it trike or treat time already?

When we triked out our Vulcan we lost 5 MPH so when I am cruising at 80 actually i am at 75. I actually like it like that keeps the cops off me also.
goofy, what trike kit did you choose? straight axle or independant suspension? how do you like it? what kinda coin set back? post some pix. am looking to trike my v2k when CSC makes a kit. they are developing a kit for the kaw voyager.. maybe it will fit? out, ponch

·
Registered
215 Posts
Poncho

I did a Mystery Design independent suspension. Love it rides like a dream corners great. pulls our Time out camper like a dream never even know it back there most the time. with the rear end and the cobra body that I got was roughly 7000. Had to do a lot of frenching and body work to get it to fit right. I also had to use Harley soft tail brackets to get the rear end to set true.I have pictures of it on the bike of the month so go take a look

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11486

got any questions give me a shout I will try to answer the best I can

1 - 20 of 22 Posts