Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im averaging about 42 mpg and i think i ride pretty descent i go usually 60-65 on highway and i dont rap on the pipes too much, but ive heard of other people getting over 60 mpg, so im just wondering what your average is and if you are getting better than me do you ride different? or have you hooked up a fuel processor?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have checked mine after doing almost all back roads, 35 to 45 mph... and after a longer trip mostly on the highway running 55 to 65 mph, and I am always between 49 and 51 mpg. I am not a very aggressive rider, and don't do too much playing with the throttle. Bike is currently stock, except for aftermarket exhaust. I find myself running in a higher gear alot..i just never got used to running the 900 at higher revs. Rider size and payload could play a part in the mpg... I am 235lbs and generally have less than 10 to 15lbs of gear on the bike.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mpg

I seem to avg. 48-53 mpg but I have done better. When I ride the BRP I get in the upper 50's on some days, and one time I got 62. This is at slower speeds of course. When I changed my pulley's and added intake and pipes, and fuel processor my MPG dropped. Some of it may be in the speedometer and some due to down shifting more due to the od pulley's.

·
Registered
357 Posts
my commute is slow traffic so my average ranges from mid 30's up to 50 if I can get all highway on a tank.

·
Registered
953 Posts
ok so im averaging about 42 mpg and i think i ride pretty descent i go usually 60-65 on highway and i dont rap on the pipes too much, but ive heard of other people getting over 60 mpg, so im just wondering what your average is and if you are getting better than me do you ride different? or have you hooked up a fuel processor?
I get the same as you, which is what Kawi states you should get.... and what every review I have ever read on the bike states it gets.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Stock intake and exhaust, no power commander. I get between 44 & 47mpg across most fillups.

My daily commutes are 104 miles, fill up every 2 days and put in 4.5 gallons on average. (46mpg) This is will speeds up to 80 (for 6 miles one way) and slower traffic conditions, 25-35mph (for 6 miles one way). All other miles are at around 55-65.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cobra pipes, no other alterations:
Single rider 52-54 mpg
Two up 48-50
Single with trailer 45ish
Two up with trailer about 40

Really depends where I take it and if I'm commuting versus playing.

On the 900, my fuel light comes on at 190 miles usually, and I know I have another 50+ miles till empty.
Typically fuel up at 230 - 240 miles. I have pushed it as far as 260 and that's putting about 5.1 gallons in. I also only run 87 octane.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
44mpg average since buying the bike.

Cobra exhaust, K&N filter, 200 rear tire, hard bags, fairing, and a throttle hand that likes some exercise.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just did a 2800 mile trip thru Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington state and back to Utah. I travelled about 500 of those miles thru mountain passes at between 3,000 and 7,600 above sea level. Mostly backroads at 60 to 70 mph with some cruising at 75 mph. For the entire trip I averaged almost exactly 46 mpg with a Baron's front pulley and 170/80 oversize rear tire and this includes a .05% odometer correction. The thing that nobody mentions is the gas they use...I got over 50 mpg with Oregons 92 octane with 0% ethynol and over 6 mpg less with some of the 10% ethynol gas I had to use. I weigh 230 with gear on and had about 40 Lbs. of gear/luggage on board. There were also a couple hundred miles where I bucked about a 20 mph head wind. I think I'm happy with this but on my day trips I usually get a steady 50mpg. The bike is a Classic LT no windshield (I am a purist) with a partial debaffle and K&N Air filter plus the oversize tire and front pulley.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I just did a 2800 mile trip thru Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington state and back to Utah. I travelled about 500 of those miles thru mountain passes at between 3,000 and 7,600 above sea level. Mostly backroads at 60 to 70 mph with some cruising at 75 mph. For the entire trip I averaged almost exactly 46 mpg with a Baron's front pulley and 180/70 oversize rear tire and this includes a .05% odometer correction. The thing that nobody mentions is the gas they use...I got over 50 mpg with Oregons 92 octane with 0% ethynol and over 6 mpg less with some of the 10% ethynol gas I had to use. I weigh 230 with gear on and had about 40 Lbs. of gear/luggage on board. There were also a couple hundred miles where I bucked about a 20 mph head wind. I think I'm happy with this but on my day trips I usually get a steady 50mpg. The bike is a Classic LT no windshield (I am a purist) with a partial debaffle and K&N Air filter plus the oversize tire and front pulley.
2 questions:

1 - Isn't 180/70R15 the stock size and not "oversized?" It was on my '07 900 LT.
2 - Why 92 Octane? The 900 only requires 87. There was a good write-up on another thread on Octane values and why there is no real need to spend the higher prices.

·
Registered
357 Posts
he probably meant 170/80 (which is taller)

180/70 is stock on my 2011 custom

·
Registered
536 Posts
2 questions:

1 - Isn't 180/70R15 the stock size and not "oversized?" It was on my '07 900 LT.
2 - Why 92 Octane? The 900 only requires 87. There was a good write-up on another thread on Octane values and why there is no real need to spend the higher prices.
That was my mistake regarding the tire size...I'm running the 170/80 which is oversized. The fuel thing is still confusing to me but the manual says use an anti-knock index fuel rated 90 or over and that it is marked on the pump...I assumed that the 87, 89, or 92 markings on the pump was the same as octane but maybe not. The previous owner of my bike said he ran premium so I have continued using that but it seems like maybe I don't need to. The 9.5 to 1 compression ratio makes me believe that 87 is fine so I will try it next time. My previous 2 bikes were 11.5 to 1 so I ran premium in them just because they were track bikes and ridden hard.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Right with you too, Hunter. I've tracked all my fills since buying the bike and consistently average 42 - 44.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When i first got my bike week and 1/2 ago i checked the MPG twice and got 57 both times running well 55 to 80 and racking them pipes...

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
That was my mistake regarding the tire size...I'm running the 170/80 which is oversized. The fuel thing is still confusing to me but the manual says use an anti-knock index fuel rated 90 or over and that it is marked on the pump...I assumed that the 87, 89, or 92 markings on the pump was the same as octane but maybe not. The previous owner of my bike said he ran premium so I have continued using that but it seems like maybe I don't need to. The 9.5 to 1 compression ratio makes me believe that 87 is fine so I will try it next time. My previous 2 bikes were 11.5 to 1 so I ran premium in them just because they were track bikes and ridden hard.
You are right on with the compression thought. I have ran 87 since mile 0 without issue. You can try an run 87 or 89 and see if you start knocking. If you don't, save the money and run the lower octane. (my opinion).

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have been getting between 48-52 mpg depending on riding situation but my typical ride is %90 highway at 75-80 mph(70-75 actual). I have been running 93 octane because I assumed that was what this bike needed since my zx10 needed it. I did accidentally put 87 in one time and didnt notice any difference and now I see why

·
Registered
23 Posts
Front Pulley

I just did a 2800 mile trip thru Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington state and back to Utah. I travelled about 500 of those miles thru mountain passes at between 3,000 and 7,600 above sea level. Mostly backroads at 60 to 70 mph with some cruising at 75 mph. For the entire trip I averaged almost exactly 46 mpg with a Baron's front pulley and 170/80 oversize rear tire and this includes a .05% odometer correction. The thing that nobody mentions is the gas they use...I got over 50 mpg with Oregons 92 octane with 0% ethynol and over 6 mpg less with some of the 10% ethynol gas I had to use. I weigh 230 with gear on and had about 40 Lbs. of gear/luggage on board. There were also a couple hundred miles where I bucked about a 20 mph head wind. I think I'm happy with this but on my day trips I usually get a steady 50mpg. The bike is a Classic LT no windshield (I am a purist) with a partial debaffle and K&N Air filter plus the oversize tire and front pulley.
How many mile have you rode on the Front Pulley? How did you feel the front pulley has affected your RIDE?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts