Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had 9" of rain between Sunday week ago and yesterday evening. They are predicting a 60% chance tomorrow, 70% Friday and 50% both Sat & Sun. So this morning I put off mowing my grass and went for a ride. The sun was not up high enough to heat the roads where there were lots of trees and the air temp would drop 10 degrees every time I rode through the overhanging trees. I decided not to get gas but just keep an eye on the gauge. When I got back home the total miles ridden so far on that tank has been 275 miles. The gauge was a hair away from the red zone but the fuel warning light had not yet come on. I thought by now the light would have come on. Now I have to decide whether or not to pour a little in next time or chance making it to the nearest gas station almost ten miles away. Which normally happens first, the red zone or the warning light.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just assumption but I would say you more than likely have made your way thru all of the 4.5 gallons the bike holds. just rough estimate you've got 61 miles to the gallon which is believable. But I dont think it could get much higher, though I could be wrong. That being said I would put a lil bit in before leaving the house.

·
Registered
295 Posts
We've had 9" of rain between Sunday week ago and yesterday evening. They are predicting a 60% chance tomorrow, 70% Friday and 50% both Sat & Sun. So this morning I put off mowing my grass and went for a ride. The sun was not up high enough to heat the roads where there were lots of trees and the air temp would drop 10 degrees every time I rode through the overhanging trees. I decided not to get gas but just keep an eye on the gauge. When I got back home the total miles ridden so far on that tank has been 275 miles. The gauge was a hair away from the red zone but the fuel warning light had not yet come on. I thought by now the light would have come on. Now I have to decide whether or not to pour a little in next time or chance making it to the nearest gas station almost ten miles away. Which normally happens first, the red zone or the warning light.
I never trusted the gas gauge, I relied on the low fuel light. That's a lot of miles on a tank, though. How much faith do you have on the light is the question.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Holy crap!!! If your gauge is anything like mine (light stays on with 1.3 gal left)you have used a little less than 4 gallons in 275 miles which equates to 70 mpg or more!!! Like Nati said. Fill that tank up and see how low you are......

·
Registered
953 Posts
You are a lucky man. I have NEVER, EVER, EVER in 28,000 plus miles on the 9 gotten over 44 mpg (that's about 60 sustained on a flat highway with little to no wind). I can usually expect about 40 mpg average, just what the dealer told me I would get when I bought it.

My light comes on with a gallon remaining in the tank.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
On my 900 with a 5.3 gallon tank, I'm getting over 200 miles before I get the light. Each time I fill up, I've got over a gallon that I could have burned.

275 miles seems a little high but could be doable considering speed and road conditions.

I have always been impressed with the gas tank size they gave us for the 9.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I thought the 900 only had a 4.5 gallon tank

·
Registered
33 Posts
the 900's, at least the newer ones, have a 5.3 gal tank.

I've got an 09 900 classic. stock set-up except for cobra short drags no baffles.

checked the mileage over the past two days. 150 total miles. approx. 50 highway miles at about 60 mph, the rest was just cruising backboards about 45 mph.

I got 48.8 mpg. which would give me about 258 miles on a tank. not sure how interstate driving would lower mpg, but I may test that out tomorrow!

you are either getting crazy mpg's or an untrustworthy gas guage... my 900 tells me she's empty when she's not. I usually hit my trip when I fill up and go by miles.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Are you sure You dont have a wise guy friend that sneaks a little gas in there from time to time, Just to mess with you. I could see some doing this and laughing their asses off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since I crossed the 5000 mile mark I have been getting consistently 44-45 mpg on my semi-rural commute. I've got a '12 900 Classic SE. Wish it would dry up so I could ride more, damn Georgia clay dirt road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 900 with a 5.3 gallon tank, I'm getting over 200 miles before I get the light. Each time I fill up, I've got over a gallon that I could have burned.

275 miles seems a little high but could be doable considering speed and road conditions.

I have always been impressed with the gas tank size they gave us for the 9.
I have to agree. From the top off to yellow light I'm getting about 210 miles, then I can look for gas station for next 10 to 20 miles. I'm always reset the trip meter because fuel gauge is not working This was on mostly expressway riding, 65~75 m/h.

- One-Piece Studded Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
- Cobra Speedster Longs pipes
- Highway Bars & Pegs
- The BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control
- Just another VN 900 with LT package(but it's mine!!!)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Not to say you have a problem, but I got some bad gas once a couple years ago on a long trip, and my milage jumped about 10mpg on that tank. Added some carb cleaner to my next tank and it came back down to normal. After I got to my destination for the day, I cleaned my carb. You may be just getting great mpg or you may also be running very lean, that can be a problem. I know your bike is injected, but injectors can get clogged.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Yellow light comes on first on mine. I just checked my mileage today. 160 miles with 120 on highway came in at 38.5MPG.
Is this implying that there is a second "red" light? If so I have never seen it. :)

My warning indicator comes on between 180 and 200 miles, depending on riding style/conditions. My averages have been between 43-47mpg. With a 104 mile round trip daily commute, thats 2 days and a fillup. 4.6 gallons over 2 days is alot better than 7 gallons per day in my cage.

I have never ran the tank dry just to see how far I could go. I accidentally did this in a cage once and vapor locked the fuel injection system. Cost a pretty penny to fix. Not sure if that is a possability on the bikes setup or not. I may risk it one of these days, just because I am curious.

·
Registered
847 Posts
5.3 on the 9 I have gotten in the upper 50's and low 60's before on a ride below 60 mph. I rode close to my house and waited for the light to come on just make sure it worked. You have about a half gallon after that or about 25 miles.My light came on and it held 4.8 gallons.

·
Registered
847 Posts
mpg

I also go by the miles. I set a limit of 180 miles, just like my old bikes. I don't rely on the gauge out of habit from having bikes without one. It usually takes about 4-4.3 gallons at 180 mi.

·
Registered
847 Posts
mpg

I don't run it too low on fuel because of the cooling needed for the in-tank pump.....I try to leave at least a gallon in the tank for that reason.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts