Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I look at it much as I keep the range readout up front. But the mpg readout on mine always says 38.7 and never changes... I am getting over 40 on every road trip. Over 200 miles a tank also... (compared to 170 on the old Venture with 6 gals)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I found that if you reset it and rag the throttle you will get a low reading. If you reset it and baby the bike you will get a high reading.

If you reset it and run 10 tanks of fuel through the bike the computer matches the average you calculate when you fill up.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... the reset thing worked, now it changes every few seconds. Seems like it started doing that when I had the battery out and put it back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i dont find the avg mpg or the dte that acurate or useful at all that seems to be a wasted section of the dash ... mine is saying now 344 miles to empty .. and thats not hapening

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mbell09 I agree with you. The only time we need to know what our mpg is after we fill up the tank, and thats just for curiosity sake mostly because when we are are the road MPG does not matter anyway normally. The range function although just as inaccurate is a better function.

I would rather have a speedo readout in there too as for me the dash speedo leaves a lot to be desired. I just use the GPS for my speedo anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i would agree the range fuction if it worked would be alot better than knowing the mpgs i figure that out on my own .. just one of those qwirks of the bike we get to deal with

·
Registered
287 Posts
Resetting MPG

Have you ever reset the MPG computer? It's in the owners manual.
I don't recall seeing that, can you give me a page number.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have found that the more miles you have between resets on the MPG the less change you will notice. The computer is averaging the MPG from the total miles since last reset. As far as miles to empty, I think this is a at the monent read out. I've noticed when going down a hill mine will read 280 to empty then going up a hill it will read 90 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Page 27 owners manual

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after looking in several other forums concerning the MPG average read out and in here, as was mentioned in here that the average is cumulative from the last reset, which would make sense that with over 3000 miles it would never change. ( I had never reset it since I rode it out of the dealership) Therefore the last two tanks of gas I reset it at fill up on both tanks, now it shows I get 40-44 mpg most of the time and changes all the time up and down.... also the range readout seems to reflect the change and gives a more realistic end of thank range similar to what I am actually getting.

See... something else not mentioned in the owners manual was figured out by users and then that good info passed along. Just remember to reset it along with whichever trip meter you use for distance traveled on a tank of gas. I use trip one for tank duration, and trip 2 for trip duration. But out here with gas on average about 140 miles apart to 180 miles apart we tend to only get 140 - 180 miles to the tank.... I could only get 180 miles on my Venture if I ran 60 mph, which I never did. About 32 mpg is all I ever got out of it. That's with the Dyna 3000 and air box (two) modifications, and two K&N's But usually I was also pulling a trailer.

This VV top end is not near as fast, but zero to top in is a little faster. One of the Tour Deluxe's (same as Venture but no fairing or trunk) with the same mods I had on my Venture, we could not out run each other, and top end for me was between 125 - 130 and a little. I have been stopped by NHP at 145 on it (and to be honest I was going down a straight 15 mile 6 percent grade and in 5th gear I was hitting my Dyna 3000 increased limiters.)... :eek: No ticket either... :cool:

The only "speed check" I have done which was last weekend on our weekend lunch run, was....., pulling out from a rest area going up a 13 mile rise, this VV from zero to its top end was quite a ways in front of my friend on his Tour Deluxe, when I top out, the TD flies past me. But it would be a while until I would lose sight of him... According to my GPS I was going 113 mph and were are always over 5000 feet where we go up to almost 13000 feet. Mostly between 6500 and 8500, my home and town is a little over 7000 feet.

The more I ride this gall dang Kamikaze the more I like it. I didn't think I would ever find anything better than that Venture... I believe I have... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts