Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put v and hines slash cuts and a K and N filter on my voyager and road it for 2500 miles without a power commander. The bike ran ok a little pop her and there and 40mpg. It was a little sluggish from 2000 to about 2700. So I bout a power commander off a nice gentalmen on the site and installed it. Road 900 miles yesterday and today took laptop with me and tried 5 different maps and all of them got me 30 to 33 mpg. Not sure what I can do now besides have the bike dyno tuned unless someone has a map they think will work that would be great. Not really concerned with arm jerking power just want the bike to run smooth and alot better mileage than 31 t0 33mpg thats horrible! Any help or advice would be apreciated thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I put v and hines slash cuts and a K and N filter on my voyager and road it for 2500 miles without a power commander. The bike ran ok a little pop her and there and 40mpg. It was a little sluggish from 2000 to about 2700. So I bout a power commander off a nice gentalmen on the site and installed it. Road 900 miles yesterday and today took laptop with me and tried 5 different maps and all of them got me 30 to 33 mpg. Not sure what I can do now besides have the bike dyno tuned unless someone has a map they think will work that would be great. Not really concerned with arm jerking power just want the bike to run smooth and alot better mileage than 31 t0 33mpg thats horrible! Any help or advice would be apreciated thanks!
There are some riders on this forum who claim they are getting better mileage with aftermarket pipes, filter, power commander, etc. Others are getting lower mileage. My bike has the stock pipes, aftermarket air filter and a power commander and my mileage is in the mid 30's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm running the stock pipes and a PC5 along with my open intake I produce and getting 42 to 46 mpg all the time now on mid grade fuel.
I'm running the map 17-006-005 Nomad/ / Voyager / Vaquero model Stock exhaust Stock air filter

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
air box

I'm running the stock pipes and a PC5 along with my open intake I produce and getting 42 to 46 mpg all the time now on mid grade fuel.
I'm running the map 17-006-005 Nomad/ / Voyager / Vaquero model Stock exhaust Stock air filter
What kind of modification did you do to the airbox? I would say I am adding to much fuel and not enough air.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im running a open filter right side along with the factory cover that I make. This system works great and adds hp to.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
air

Im running a open filter right side along with the factory cover that I make. This system works great and adds hp to.
Can you pm me and give me some more info on your air box thanks?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm running your air kit also with a set of Cobra slip-ons and a Cobra PowerPro. I consistently get 324 km (201 miles) per tank with a couple liter's left over. That equates to about 18 km/liter or 41 US miles/gallon......good enough for me

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
34 mpg

Just got home from a 2200 mile trip to Daytona . Bike averaged 34 mpg thats horrible!. Although it runs like a raped ape.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just got home from a 2200 mile trip to Daytona . Bike averaged 34 mpg thats horrible!. Although it runs like a raped ape.
What kind of speed were you travelling

·
Registered
701 Posts
That is close to what I get now with my vaquero. I get a little less than that. Now when I had my nomad with slip ons and the power pro my mileage went down to 30 overall. I don't expect to get anything better when I put the power pro on my vaquero. All my mpgs are figured at the pump, not the optimistic kawi gauge. I swear kawi programed that thing to read 34.4 all the time. To get anything better I would have to be in 5th gear by 40 mph and go faster than 55 mph. The streets down here have speed limits at 40-50 mph on average.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Same old story.......

Do I want power or gas mileage? The two do not play well together.....

My bone stock Voyager will pull my fat rear end and my trailer down the highway with the cruise set and in 6th gear no problem. I can jump out there and pass anything I need to.

I get 36/38 pulling the trailer and 38/41 pulling me.... Average back (county) road speed limit is 60/65.....

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
The comment about running like a raped ape is telling. If you were twisting enough to know that, then you were likely blasting fuel through as well. Try another trip using mild acceleration, generally keeping the rpm below 3k and get into 6th gear if you can keep the rpms at, say 1,700k or above. I can get 41-42mpg (real-world) doing this. Not as impressive as barking tires or hard acceleration after every curve, but easier on everything, including my wallet!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
speeds

What kind of speed were you travelling
I was not letting any grass grow under me. 80 to 86 was average speed. The cruise will not set above 86 mph. I was also riding with the wife on back and fully loaded bags and trunk. When I am around hme the bike will get between 35 and 37. Last year we went to miami and I had the stock air box on with the pcv and vance and hines pipes and it got around 38 mpg. Its all abot the map that is in the power commander. If you want power the MPG will suffer no way around it!

·
Registered
481 Posts
If I were going to ride 80 to 86 mph on the average, it would be on a Concourse and not a Voyager or any V-Twin for that matter. You're probably running 85% of the top-end on a V-Twin, a Concourse, well that would be about 50%. I've had both bikes and that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
If I were going to ride 80 to 86 mph on the average, it would be on a Concourse and not a Voyager or any V-Twin for that matter. You're probably running 85% of the top-end on a V-Twin, a Concourse, well that would be about 50%. I've had both bikes and that's just my opinion.
I haven't been on a Concourse, but I know that at 80 mph on my Vaquero, I'm not quite turning 3k rpm, and that is at the bottom of the power band. I should have plenty of "legs" to go.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I had one of those yellow box brand speedo compensators in my Venture. I could set the dip switchs to make the speedo show 60 when I was doing 80 and could set the cruise on 100.... according to my GPS.... or set the speedo to dead on actual speed.

I got about -5mpg when I ran that way. I have never been concerned about gas mileage on a motorcycle. It is too variable anyway depending on how you feel/ride that day....

·
Registered
481 Posts
I haven't been on a Concourse, but I know that at 80 mph on my Vaquero, I'm not quite turning 3k rpm, and that is at the bottom of the power band. I should have plenty of "legs" to go.
Using this comparison you have yourself a 150 to 160 mph Vaquero. That's really good. But even at that, 34 to 36 mpg is not bad at that speed. I'm just saying, if I were to want to ride from Illinois to Florida at 80 to 86 mph on the average, the safer bike would be one that's made for a faster speed both in handling and braking. On a Voyager you're closer to the limit of the machine than on a Concourse.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Using this comparison you have yourself a 150 to 160 mph Vaquero. That's really good. But even at that, 34 to 36 mpg is not bad at that speed. I'm just saying, if I were to want to ride from Illinois to Florida at 80 to 86 mph on the average, the safer bike would be one that's made for a faster speed both in handling and braking. On a Voyager you're closer to the limit of the machine than on a Concourse.
You are right about the limitations of the Voyager. It does not matter if I am running 65 or 85 it gets right around 34 Mpg. I check at pump the old fashion way. Before I put the thunder mfg kit on it would get around 37 at any speed. I know I had to stop for gas every 150 miles this time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
That is close to what I get now with my vaquero. I get a little less than that. Now when I had my nomad with slip ons and the power pro my mileage went down to 30 overall. I don't expect to get anything better when I put the power pro on my vaquero. All my mpgs are figured at the pump, not the optimistic kawi gauge. I swear kawi programed that thing to read 34.4 all the time. To get anything better I would have to be in 5th gear by 40 mph and go faster than 55 mph. The streets down here have speed limits at 40-50 mph on average.
I'm getting something around 33/34 mpg on my 2011 Vaq. I pretty much ride it like I just stole the thing.

Do I get points for honesty?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts