Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an extra MP3 cable that I made for my 2011 Voyager. I bought the special connectors last year after PNB posted where to find the connectors at. Just got around to getting the actual audio cable to splice into the connector last week. I had originally bought 2 connectors (in case I messed one up), but the make was sooooo easy that I went ahead and made a 2nd one to provide on here. It took me about 10 minutes to make one

I have $10 in it for the parts, so am giving it away for the $10 + shipping.

The cable is a 3' pre-fabbed 3.5mm male end stereo cable. I simply cut one end off, soldered the wires to the respective pins, and inserted the pins into the connector. So it is solid built. I didn't put any heat shrink over the wire/connector joint as this end is in the glove box and should never be exposed to any elements.

Pic attached. Let me know if anyone is interested. Just wanted to pass along the part since I do not need 2 of them.

I've attached pics - hope I did that right...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'll take that from ya. I'll PM you.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
If anyone else is interested I just went through the same exercise, except I bought 4 extras. I haven't assembled anything yet and don't even have the stereo cable to splice yet. I was planning on e-baying them once I finally got around to it. I'd definitely let them go here on the group at closer to cost as well.

PM me if there are others that are interested.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Did you ever sale this? I sent you a PM awhile ago

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sbg8r -
i don't see a PM from you. i'm sorry I did sell it to Romans5.8 on 4/27/15. i'm thinking about making a handful of them and putting them up on here again. I'm not a wrenchhead so i feel I don't give back to this community the way that so many others do here. But this is one way I can give something back! albeit a small give-back

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Ahh ok.. strange, wonder why you never responded. . I need to go back and check.. Maybe never pressed send.
yeah if you I'd be interested

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Nope. I never sent message.. dang Romans.. HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check into getting more of the pieces and strongly consider making a few more. Will let you know. Going to be a week or so before I can do this due to projects and overtime at office right now

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
can you switch tracks with this cable? I seen one on ebay but the seller says it only control volume.
No.

With the stock radio on the Vaquero/Voyager, there's only one way to have control of the device (other than volume, and you aren't changing the volume of the device, but of the stereo itself).

1) The device needs to be an Apple device. Potentially some knock-off devices intended to work with MFi (Made For iPod) docks, stereos, etc. (Basically, if you can't dock it into one of those older iPod docks and control it with the dock, you can't control it with the Vaquero/Voyager. It's essentially an iPod dock)
2) You have to use the official Apple 30-pin to lightning connector (which has the important internal DAC) if the device is newer and has a lightning port
3) It has to be connected with the 30-pin dock connector

Unfortunately, that's just a limitation of the way Kawasaki decided to design this radio. Some stereo systems have a USB port or USB-compatible wiring. They then pull the audio files off of the device and play them locally. In the case of the Kawasaki stereo, the device does all the work. It renders the audio and sends the audio files analogue (part of the 30-pin connector includes a couple of analog audio pins; think miniaturized RCA cables) and then accepts input and controls from the handlebar. The only digital information being sent back and forth is song title data. Unfortunately, absolutely nothing else will work.

You could install an aftermarket stereo with a handlebar control wiring.

If you don't stream music like I do, you could just buy the 30-pin cable and an old iPod and load your music onto that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you know if someone has made their own iPod cable or if it can be done? I have a 30 pin charging cable but not sure about the connector for the bike side. Thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been having a problem with my radio/iPod on my Vaq. Seems every time I use it, it cuts out and reads AUX on the radio screen then it comes back on it does this repeatedly until I get annoyed and turn it off. I do have the 30pin iPod connector. Checked the connection and wires seem good. Anyone else have this problem? And were you able to fix it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If anyone else is interested I just went through the same exercise, except I bought 4 extras. I haven't assembled anything yet and don't even have the stereo cable to splice yet. I was planning on e-baying them once I finally got around to it. I'd definitely let them go here on the group at closer to cost as well.

PM me if there are others that are interested.
Sandcralwer, I'm interested in one of your MP3 cables if you still have any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts