Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm trying to find a way to move the foot controls on my Vulcan S to a slightly rear position. I've seen some cafe builds where they keep the stock plastic trim and all the little bits that make the Vulcan look so... Vulcany.
I don't want to alter much, so it's fully reversible. I know the shift rod will have to be inversed, but it's really easy on this bike, since it's the same engine as the ninja which shifts from the rear.

So! Onto my actual question. Does anyone know an easy way to make this happen, and which bolts on the frame would be best?
I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever done this. In theory it shouldn't be a huge headache, but that's rarely how these things go. As far as making metal pieces to make this happen, I have a friend who is fantastic with that kind of thing.

The pictures I included is of a cafe build and you can see the pegs and even the in tact plastic parts. Hopefully this can be done without removing the stock exhaust.. I just don't have the money to put into a new exhaust, ya know?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh! And please no "what the hell is wrong with you? " or "why would you ever do this?" or "if you want that position get a different bike" comments. I love the vulcan and just like to mess with it. I plan to change it little by little and I want to start here. But! That's why I want it reversible, in case it's awful!

550X330_750_TracyParkes_1530648150947.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the bike would be great moded like that. I've seen lots of pics of custom Vulcans with mid to rear controls, but I have no idea how to do the work. I hope it goes well for you, please post results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some inspiration for you.
I've seen that one too, while researching. They totally change how the vulcan looks, but I guess it proves it's a tough motor. They moved the pegs a bit further back than I'd have done, but I like to see someone customizing our bike. I'm surprised there isn't more out there!

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan S, Candy Matte Orange, Delkevic 14" Carbon Exhaust, PCV w/ Auto Tune, Morimoto Lighting
156 Posts
The Ninja 650 looks like the controls are mounted back where you want them, might be a good place to start since they are so closely related to the S

·
Registered
965 Posts
Exactly! I think I’d start investigating the Ninja 650 for potential placement. May even be able to use some parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Ninja 650 looks like the controls are mounted back where you want them, might be a good place to start since they are so closely related to the S
That's a good idea. I've looked at the Ninjas to see if I could just use their pegs, but they are way too far back. But! There must be somewhere they attach which would hopefully work on the Vulcan. There is a really good bolt on the shifting side, but only one. I need to find a second. I'll remove some plastic this weekend and see what I can find. Maybe visit a dealership and take a look at the Ninjas!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hope you are short or at least have short legs since moving the pegs back will make for a very cramped seating position especially on a bike with one of the lowest seat heights in the industry. Customization like what you are planning is of course possible but will take some engineering and a lot of time and money to do it the right way. You say you like the Vulcan S but you want to change the entire aspect of it which in turn changes the geometry and the looks to where it is no longer a Vulcan S. From a safety standpoint it also changes the structural integrity where it no longer complies with the safety standards in handling. While some of these concepts might look cool if you actually want to enjoy riding this bike it wouldn't be very practical. But each his own so go at it and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you are short or at least have short legs since moving the pegs back will make for a very cramped seating position especially on a bike with one of the lowest seat heights in the industry. Customization like what you are planning is of course possible but will take some engineering and a lot of time and money to do it the right way. You say you like the Vulcan S but you want to change the entire aspect of it which in turn changes the geometry and the looks to where it is no longer a Vulcan S. From a safety standpoint it also changes the structural integrity where it no longer complies with the safety standards in handling. While some of these concepts might look cool if you actually want to enjoy riding this bike it wouldn't be very practical. But each his own so go at it and keep us posted on your progress.
I'm not changing the folk angle, or something extreme, just moving the pegs back. I've put my feet up on the passenger pegs for longer drives before and it doesn't really change the bike. They're too high up, but I know I don't hate a foot-back position on the vulcan. I plan to leave the pegs at the same height above the ground so it won't mess with lean angle, though I've never scraped a peg anyways. It's not too crazy to move pegs. People do it all the time with cruisers. I'll be safe about it though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I wish I could move mine forward another 2 inches. If I would move them back I would eat my knees :grin2:

Rg racing extended footpegs

I’m with Indy, the concept looks good but the control point is up near the forks, not only that have you ever rode a Yamaha Bolt, same concept the pegs directly under you is uncomfortable.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why not use the same concept as an RG extension kit but reverse the direction and make it a reduction kit.

I have the RG extension kit and it's an extremely simple design. You'll need to make a new shifter rod but that's a very easy make.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why not use the same concept as an RG extension kit but reverse the direction and make it a reduction kit.

I have the RG extension kit and it's an extremely simple design. You'll need to make a new shifter rod but that's a very easy make.
Oops! Won't work. Just went and had a look. Stator housing gets in the way. DOH!:bad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So!
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. I'm going to use these bolts as mount points. I have to get my friend to help me make some metal parts to attach the pegs and controls to, hopefully that'll happen soon, but who knows. I'll get longer bolts and use spacers to make it fit once that's done!
The plan is to leave the plastic parts off at first to see if I even like it. If I do, I'll cut them as little as possible, just enough to make it all fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
How is that going to work with the shift rod being in front of the peg instead of behind it? Are you also making changes to your seat? Raise it at least a couple of inches? If not you will be very cramped and there is no way you can sustain a comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll need linkage to extend back to some kind of mount for your shift lever. same with the brake. Depending on you mount the linkage it might revers the control. I wounder if you wouldn't be better off grabing a set of ninja 650 or versys "rear sets", or foot peg mounting plates and retrofitting them. They use 3 bolts to attach, but you could drill your own holes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts