Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I recently accepted a job in Temple, Texas. I will be moving sometime in the next few weeks from Georgia to Texas. Wondering what are some options are for moving a bike cross country other than riding it. I've looked into renting a uhaul trailer and trailering it. Any other ideas?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
get a quote from a shipping/moving company, rent/buy a trailer, ride it, or sell it..... those are about the only options......and its only a few states over.....1000 miles.... thats just a good weekend ride !!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hello all. I recently accepted a job in Temple, Texas. I will be moving sometime in the next few weeks from Georgia to Texas. Wondering what are some options are for moving a bike cross country other than riding it. I've looked into renting a uhaul trailer and trailering it. Any other ideas?
I think you can ship across the country for about $600+. They can take weeks to get your bike back to you.

I looked at U-Haul for Atlanta to Temple. They don't have any motorcycle trailers, but they do have an open utility trailer that would work. It cost $177 for 5 days use.
That is if you already have a truck. If you don't; you will be required purchase one within 1 year of moving to Texas.:)

I agree with Worm, I would try to find a way to ride it. Even if I had to leave it with a friend for a couple of weeks and buy a 1 way ticket to GA. And enjoy a two wheeled weekend!

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
You mean they no longer require "Proof of Truck Ownership" at the border? My, the country-uh, state, has gone to hell since I left!:&

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
U-Haul does make a motorcycle trailer but it's for 'local' use only. You have to return it to the same U-Haul you rented it from and there are mileage limits.

I think the best solution is to borrow/beg/buy/rent a good flat trailer and use plenty of straps. Sometimes you can find an old tandem axle trailer in decent condition for less than you can rent one of U-Hauls rigs, that'll fit your bike and probably a few boxes or other things too! Then just sell it when you get there, or fix it up and keep it!

That also requires a truck, but, U-Haul also rents pickup trucks, like an F-150, for a decent price.

Some people suggest selling the bike and buying a new bike when you get there. That works if you were on the fence about a new bike anyway but, even if you spend only what you made on selling your bike, taxes and such in most places is probably more for that bike than the cost of shipping it.

I helped a family friend move, but it was just about 70 miles away. But we loaded his bike in the back of the U-Haul box truck! But, then again, we had the flexibility of making several trips because it wasn't very far. Not sure if that would work for moving your bike.

What else are you planning on using for the move? Sometimes moving companies/rental places will give you a discount on a trailer to pull behind their vans. I know U-Haul offered to this guy, for a motorcycle trailer. But he determined the mileage of an extra 140 mile round-trip was cheaper than renting the trailer and making one less trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your replies. I do have a truck, a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500. I looked up on uhaul.com and found the trailer a couple of you spoke of. Thats one option a couple of you mentioned that I am considering. I looked into a shipping company, $640 was the price I saw. Riding it from GA to Texas is starting to appeal to me. Take a long, 3 or 4 day weekend and knock it out. Going to look into purchasing a trailer too. Selling the bike, not right now, she's still my baby. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I perused a Craigslist near you and found several large flat and even motorcycle specific (the kind with the rails) trailers for under $350. Not sure what the cost of the uhaul was but that's half the cost of shipping it and you get to keep it!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just load er up in the back of the truck....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
just load er up in the back of the truck....
I'm always worried about getting a bike on and off a truck. It's a steep climb up into that bed and, depending on what he rides, could be an awfully tight fit. If you have a ditch to back down into and lay the tailgate on the ground it's easy. But then he has to find another such ditch when he gets there! Ramps are awfully steep...

But, with a buddy (and in the case above, all he had to do was keep his speed up, he has TONS of room in the back of that van... but no so in a pickup truck which makes it complicated) it can be done!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm always worried about getting a bike on and off a truck. It's a steep climb up into that bed and, depending on what he rides, could be an awfully tight fit. If you have a ditch to back down into and lay the tailgate on the ground it's easy. But then he has to find another such ditch when he gets there! Ramps are awfully steep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDS3FAT8LW8

But, with a buddy (and in the case above, all he had to do was keep his speed up, he has TONS of room in the back of that van... but no so in a pickup truck which makes it complicated) it can be done!

It looked to me that he lost traction. What gets me, is that with all the onlookers, they easily could have pushed and/or guided the bike safely in the van. I really like how the wife(?) is standing there covering her mouth, haha, SHE knew what was gonna happen.

As for the O.P., I'd check craigslist for used trailers, I've bought several for $100(Bubba "improved" HF) - $450(nice three rail MC trailer), and never lost money when selling them. Leaving the bike, flying back and riding to your new home would be the second option.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As far as the video goes, Ron White has said it best. "You Can't Fix Stupid" We haul 4 wheelers, bikes, lawn mowers, tractors and all sorts of equipment both light and heavy all the time and never have a problem or even a second thought about it. Then again, common sense just doesn't seem to be that common these days.

As for the OP, what do you do if away from home and the bike breaks down? I don't care what you have, at some point it will break down. I just grab a truck or trailer, load up and haul it home for repairs. This isn't a big hurdle, just a minor inconvenience that everyone should be prepared for. I learned a long time ago that if you have to depend on someone else, you're at a severe disadvantage from the get go.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
A good ramp and a ditch works great to load and unload from the bed of the truck. That is how I brought my Vaquero home from Texas to Tennessee. Many of the local businesses have decks for unloading from big-rigs, and sloped ramps to get on and off the deck. Just match the tailgate up with the area on the ramp that is the same height and simply roll it off. A guy with a pickup truck can do anything!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I perused a Craigslist near you and found several large flat and even motorcycle specific (the kind with the rails) trailers for under $350. Not sure what the cost of the uhaul was but that's half the cost of shipping it and you get to keep it!
I like the idea of hauling. But I would also keep in mind if you get a trailer and haul it, it is always a good idea to keep a spare tire, wheel bearings, grease, and bearing caps on hand and the tools to change one on the the side of the road. You never know.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I shipped my new V2K from PA to FL for $225.00 with UShip. Enter the info on their site and wait for the quotes to pour in!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went too Florida 2 weeks ago during bike week passed several pickup trucks with their bikes in the bed of the truck you said you have a pickup so I am sure if you Goggled it you could get directions on how accomplish this feat.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks all for your replies. I do have a truck, a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Going to look into purchasing a trailer too.
Check boat dealers, if they might have something cheap in the back yard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts