Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have really enjoyed my Vulcan 900 custom, Bought is new in 2014 (2011 model). I thought I would ride a few thousand miles a year but ended up riding the north GA mountains every chance I got and put over 19K miles in 3 years with my Saturday rides.

The 900 has been a great bike and perfect for cruising the mountain back roads. However like many of us I started to wonder if the vulcan was the right bike for me. I looked close at Harley but the only model I would even consider was the VRod and they discontinued that last year. Thought perhaps a Victory Octane, but then Polaris discontinued the Victory band altogether. Was someone trying to tell me something? I always rode standard biks back in the early 70s.

In the end i just went out and bought a New to me 2011 Versys with 3,400 miles on her. Totally different ride from the vulcan, feels really weird with the controls so far back. But I am sure I will get use the feel soon enough and hope I enjoy her.

This forum has been a great source of information and really helped to build my confidence on working on my own bike, SFAIR is like the Vulcan "Yoda" when he speaks listen!

I have my vulcan up for sale now and have posted some goodies I removed on the for sale section of the forum.

I may stop by this forum from time to time, thanks for your contributions to the forum, be safe out there.

Wild Bill

WB

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have really enjoyed my Vulcan 900 custom, Bought is new in 2014 (2011 model). I thought I would ride a few thousand miles a year but ended up riding the north GA mountains every chance I got and put over 19K miles in 3 years with my Saturday rides.

The 900 has been a great bike and perfect for cruising the mountain back roads. However like many of us I started to wonder if the vulcan was the right bike for me. I looked close at Harley but the only model I would even consider was the VRod and they discontinued that last year. Thought perhaps a Victory Octane, but then Polaris discontinued the Victory band altogether. Was someone trying to tell me something? I always rode standard biks back in the early 70s.

In the end i just went out and bought a New to me 2011 Versys with 3,400 miles on her. Totally different ride from the vulcan, feels really weird with the controls so far back. But I am sure I will get use the feel soon enough and hope I enjoy her.

This forum has been a great source of information and really helped to build my confidence on working on my own bike, SFAIR is like the Vulcan "Yoda" when he speaks listen!

I have my vulcan up for sale now and have posted some goodies I removed on the for sale section of the forum.

I may stop by this forum from time to time, thanks for your contributions to the forum, be safe out there.

Wild Bill

WB
Hey, at least you're still part of the Maw Kaw family! Which Versys did you get, the 650 or 1000? I had a 2011 650 and it was cool at first considering it was the closest thing to a sportbike I have ever owned, but the engine Kaw used then didn't inspire much. 2012+ 650's are more related to the 650 Ninja engine and have more spunk. I might do the same and get the 1 liter Versys after I get my 900 paid off. Have fun with your new ride!

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts

Wild Bill

WB

WHHAAAATTT????! :surprise:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRG,

It is a Versys 650. Have not been on a decent ride yet, just around the block a few time for a test ride to make sure there were not strange sounds.

Power should be adequate for me, it has 62 HP vs the 900 49 HP, weighs in around 454 Lbs vs 610 for the 900, has 6 speed trans vs 5 speed. I very seldom ride 2 up and found the 900 power adequate for my riding needs. If I were planning on a lot of long hauls and or 2 up riding the Versys 1000 may be a better option, but I think the 650 will be great for my needs.

WB

·
Registered
918 Posts
CRG,

It is a Versys 650. Have not been on a decent ride yet, just around the block a few time for a test ride to make sure there were not strange sounds.

Power should be adequate for me, it has 62 HP vs the 900 49 HP, weighs in around 454 Lbs vs 610 for the 900, has 6 speed trans vs 5 speed. I very seldom ride 2 up and found the 900 power adequate for my riding needs. If I were planning on a lot of long hauls and or 2 up riding the Versys 1000 may be a better option, but I think the 650 will be great for my needs.

WB
Wow, you based your decision on HP alone. Yeah, sure the V650 has more HP, but it's torque sucks compared to the 900. 44.99 ft/lbs versus 58.2 ft/lbs. Also, you'll find the versys loses it's grunt at around 6,800 RPM or so. That leaves about 3,200 RPM's of wasted engine speed.

The Versys was fun for me at first, but it got boring pretty fast. It struggled with strong head winds like the KLR650 does. The V was my first transition to a sportbike; so, that added to the fun factor. It didn't accommodate well for my long legs, though. Even with a peg lowering kit, the bike was uncomfortable. Plus, your family jewels will get smashed against the gas tank. The newer V's fixed that. If I were to get another V, Kaw would have to throw that 650 in the KLR650. That bike fit me better than most other bikes, but it's thumper motor sucks. For now, I'm gonna enjoy my 900.

Good luck!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRG,

HP was not the issue, wanted to try something different. I enjoyed the 900 and it was great, just like you wanted a change from the V to the 900, i want to try something different.

WB

·
Registered
918 Posts
CRG,

HP was not the issue, wanted to try something different. I enjoyed the 900 and it was great, just like you wanted a change from the V to the 900, i want to try something different.

WB
Nothing wrong with change. When I got mine, my weight was finally down enough, so I went with it. However, the weight didn't stay down for long and I didn't feel right on it anymore. Plus, the bike just didn't accommodate for my long legs. I thought the new sitting position would be fine, but I kept getting cramps in my thighs after a while.

Anyways, I hope you have fun with it!

·
Registered
918 Posts
How's the Versys so far? I forgot to mention, the pre 2012 models have an issue where the gauge rattles against the shroud around it. Get a piece of black foam tape to stick between the top of the gauge and the housing. This is the same fix Kaw issued.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CRG,

Not on the road yet, checkng it over caerfully as I have time, have repalced all the fluids and giving it a good once over. I will look into the rattle issue. Hope to get it on the road soon.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Bill, i picked up my 2016 versys 650 lt abs at the beginning of the month and finally got a 150 plus mile ride in on the week end ...
I love it ... the only thing for me was it was a little taller than I remembered and have an issue absolutely flat footing it, but the power, the ergonomics, comfort etc are great.

Don't know a lot about your model year, but I do like mine. There is a versys forum which I'm on ... and I'm already pissing people off .. go figure

good luck ... Maurice

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whiting 57

Nice ride. Thanks for posting back, i will be in touch on the versys forum. Re seat height on the versys, let's just say if I was 5'10" or less I would be shopping for a lowering kit.

WB

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bill, i picked up my 2016 versys 650 lt abs at the beginning of the month and finally got a 150 plus mile ride in on the week end ...
I love it ... the only thing for me was it was a little taller than I remembered and have an issue absolutely flat footing it, but the power, the ergonomics, comfort etc are great.

Don't know a lot about your model year, but I do like mine. There is a versys forum which I'm on ... and I'm already pissing people off .. go figure

good luck ... Maurice
Nice bike! If I had known all the quirks about the pre-2012 650's I would have waited to find a 2012 or later model. The styling on the 2012+ is much nicer and all the updates make it a better bike. Next one I get will come with the luggage. Never buying a bike w/o luggage again. My 2011 wasn't all bad, though. I think the spill I had on it took a lot of the fun away. Between replacing some plastics and passing out, I actually stopped riding fearing I would pass out again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a Suzuki GS1100G shaft drive road bike back in the '90s and I loved that engine.

I got where I could afford another bike back in December and after looking at everything out there I got a 2015 Versys 1000LT to have another inline 4. Let me tell you, the V1000 is an incredibly fine motorcycle by any measure. The mill, a Ninja 1000 engine tuned for low/mid torque with a reduced compression ratio, is one silky smooth and bulletproof power monster. Handling, braking and you name it are plain flat excellent.

The windscreen sucks, the seat isn't wonderful, but other than that, wow.

Needless to say, it is almost the opposite idea of a MC from the Vulcan 9, but it is further confirmation that Kawasaki makes superior bikes. The Vulcan has very few engineering faults that cause headaches; the Versys virtually none.

Truth be told, if I had to sell my '09 V900 Classic, I never would have done it. I love it way too much. But having both to ride is really a dream come true, and my riding is improved and refreshed by going back and forth.

I am told the Versys 650 is a really good bike, and I can tell you that people like it enough to transition to the Versys 1000 like clockwork at some point. Go try one sometime... you won't believe it it's so good.

All that said, it hasn't reduced my love for the Vulcan 900 one bit. I coulda gone to a Nomad or a Vaquero, a logical step from the 9, but there seem to be too many nagging issues with them, starting with heat management. Plus, they are very heavy, and I'm about to turn 66 and not in perfect health and didn't want the weight.

As to numbers, the Versys 1K weighs very close to the VN900, with 120hp and 80ft lbs torque. I mean, hang on for dear life when you twist the wick. I am blown away with it. But my Vulcan has soul out the wazoo, it's just a part of me and if I had to forego one or the other bike I would be in a real quandary!

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sonny,

Thanks for the encouragement, not sure if 120 HP would be too much for me! The 64 HP of the versys 650 is enough for now.

I wish I could keep the 900 it is a great bike, but only room and budget for one bike. As it is I have 2 bikes in the garage right now and not riding either one. My new to me versys looks pretty much new after I replaced all the fluids etc.etc. and did a complete detail clean up.

Have my 900 up for sale but the market seems very slow, not much action. I told the Mrs. that I would sell the 900 quickly and then put insurance on the versys. I don't want to put any more miles on the 900 so now I end up spending every weekend doing honet do projects around the house, and have to look at those two gorgeous machines just sitting there in the garage.

Hate to see the 900 go but on the other hand I want it to go so I can ride the Versys. I have not taken a ride in several weeks and kind of feel like a junky going through withdrawl!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bill, you got me thinking about how, when I got the Vulcan I had to entirely rethink my drink about riding. Going to a Versys I got to do it again. Refreshing, and a new day.

If you're on the forum you know the loyalty people around the world have for the Versys marque. I think you will agree, and have many happy miles.

When someone rides away on yr. Vulcan you will be sad to see her go but you'll know you've done them a good turn. Make somebody an easy deal and get it done.

Rubber side down, brother. You have been a fine contributor to this board and we wish you more good times! :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts