Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved the air sensor to the front of the bike, mounted it to the hole in the front.It does work.The bike seems to run smoother.Also wrapped the pipes and did the throttle mod.All of the mods helped. made a definate improvement.Going to cut the seat pan out.Did this on my previous bike a Valkrie , it gives a little more cush to the butt ,no hard pan stopping the foam from settling.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That's good news, the better our skoots run and feel the better, uh, we run and feel!! Neat how that works out!!:D

RACNRAY

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
air sensor

What hole? Do you have a picture?
Sent you e mail Theres a hole on the right side of the frame,at the goose neck just in front of the tank below the bars check I think youll find it.U can check jp 58 he put a picture of it Hope this helps.I have a1700 classic but I think the hole is there o all the 1700??

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks JP, one more question, did you make that bracket or did you buy it somewhere and drilled it out to make it work? What did you plug up the hole left in the housing with?

·
Registered
636 Posts
purpose

What is the purpose of moving the air sensor?

·
BOTM Winner, August/2012
201 Posts
I imagine the bike adjusts for the quality and amount of air coming in so if it is cold, fresh air right at the front the bike thinks it needs to add fuel to compensate therefore running better.

·
Registered
636 Posts
power commander

I imagine the bike adjusts for the quality and amount of air coming in so if it is cold, fresh air right at the front the bike thinks it needs to add fuel to compensate therefore running better.
So if you have a power commander its a mute point?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks JP, one more question, did you make that bracket or did you buy it somewhere and drilled it out to make it work? What did you plug up the hole left in the housing with?
I just bought a L shaped bracket from a hardware store and drilled the holes i needed. I got a plastic snapin plug from the hardware store also. I think it was 1/8 inch in size

·
Registered
299 Posts
Did the wire for the sensor need to be modified or was the stock length good enough for the move?
You need to add about a foot of wire. I used 18 gage wire that is good for computor sensors. There's 2 wires. You have to solder and shrink tube to seal out moister. Thats the hardest part.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What did you do to the hole where the sensor was mounted?

·
Registered
558 Posts
You need to add about a foot of wire. I used 18 gage wire that is good for computor sensors. There's 2 wires. You have to solder and shrink tube to seal out moister. Thats the hardest part.
So just for clarity. Did you cut off the wires and add a foot of 18 gauge for a total of 4 twists, solders, and heat shrinks? How far back from the sensor did you snip off the wires?

As for the hole do you know what size it is. When I plugged the fresh air hose I took the box to the hardware store. Hoping to avoid that.

·
BOTM Winner, August/2012
201 Posts
So just for clarity. Did you cut off the wires and add a foot of 18 gauge for a total of 4 twists, solders, and heat shrinks? How far back from the sensor did you snip off the wires?

As for the hole do you know what size it is. When I plugged the fresh air hose I took the box to the hardware store. Hoping to avoid that.
I would snip back as far as you can and still have room to solder, do not snip right behind the connector if you can avoid it.

As far as the hole just take a drill bit and compare to the hole in the airbox, when you find one that is a tight fit use that for the hole. If it is too small then go 1 size bigger at most.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hopefull Racnray will see this one, do you know what the connectors for this sensor are? I was thinking about finding the male and female connector and making a pigtail to connect it up when I move the sensor instead of splicing.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I think it's 1/8 inch. You have to take the right side air box out anyway to get to the sensor and have the room to work. I also lifted the back of the gas tank up and put a 2x4 under it for more room and to feed the wires to the front.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What exactly is accomplished by doing this? When you say runs smoother, how did it run before? Not sure I understand the reasoning behind this mod.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What exactly is accomplished by doing this? When you say runs smoother, how did it run before? Not sure I understand the reasoning behind this mod.
If your bike is stock. They run very lean from the factory and will run hotter and not always smooth and will ping more in hot weather. The air temp sensor is in the airbox and it's over 200 degrees in there. The air temp sensor is supose to read ambiant temputure. Well you know it dont get over 200 degrees outside. The hotter the temp sensor reads. It will signal the computor to run leaner. Less fuel. So reading the right ambiant temp the sensor will give the computor an acurate air temp reading and will signal for more fuel. Thus run better, and less chance for pinging, and better throttle responce.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hopefull Racnray will see this one, do you know what the connectors for this sensor are? I was thinking about finding the male and female connector and making a pigtail to connect it up when I move the sensor instead of splicing.
Based on the responses here I would simply cut far enough back to add enough 18 gauge wire to make it to the hole at the neck cleanly. I personally will be soldering. If you make nice clean solders and heat shrink them you will be much better off. Thanks for the responses on this. I think this is a mod worth trying. I'll be doing it in the next couple weeks as time permits.

I'll post up to this thread with my feedback.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts