Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerding upgrading from my VN 750 to a 900 custom. The seat hight is actualy lower than the 750 but the pegs and controlls are much farther forward.

must be short legged I can just reach the pegs, shift, and brake controlls. Does anyone know how to move the pegs and controlls back a few inchs back. Or do I have to give up on the 900 custom.

Not only is it a bit unconfortable but feels unsafe.
Thanks for any sugestions.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've only seen the extended controls but nothing that would move them back. Now, I leared to ride on my friends 2006 750 and his seat was lower than the 900. Also when I was looking for a new ride I looked and the newer model and it seemed low as well. Maybe you are looking at a 900 that has the forward controls installed? if that's the case then look at a regualar 900 custom. also the classic may be better for you as well. the custom comes with a little forward controls already.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ahh I just called my friend and he did stated they make differnet models on those 750s. The one he has is the custom which is just a bit lower.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The forward controls were why I chose the 900 custom, but I'm 6'3", so it made more sense. As was mentioned by the previous poster, I've seen ways to move them even further forward, but I'm afraid I haven't seen an option to move them back, or closer to the rider.

Perhaps some footboards would make the ride a little more comfortable for you? (although I'm not sure if the floorboard from the classic models would fit the custom, I would think it would) Or maybe try the 900 classic and/or LT instead?

A differently padded seat may scoot you forward a couple of inches as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
(although I'm not sure if the floorboard from the classic models would fit the custom, I would think it would) QUOTE]

They sure do interchange. Another member, shaggman, and I swapped foot controls, my 09 customs for his classic, and his 08 classic for my custom. 30 minutes to swap them out.

We both came out ahead at a cost of 15 or so dollars.

Andy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(although I'm not sure if the floorboard from the classic models would fit the custom, I would think it would) QUOTE]

They sure do interchange. Another member, shaggman, and I swapped foot controls, my 09 customs for his classic, and his 08 classic for my custom. 30 minutes to swap them out.

We both came out ahead at a cost of 15 or so dollars.

Andy
Thanks for the reply; This sounds good did the swap move the controls back if so can you tell me how far, do you have pictures?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh I just called my friend and he did stated they make differnet models on those 750s. The one he has is the custom which is just a bit lower.
Thank you for the replys; Just to clarify, my 2005 750's seat hight is higher than the 900's. But the pegs and controlls are are located farther back. On the 750 my leg is a bit strater than 90 deg. On the 900 my leg is straight in order to operate the brake and shift.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the reply; This sounds good did the swap move the controls back if so can you tell me how far, do you have pictures?
The foot position is moved rearward about 5 inches. I haven't take any pictures yet, but it looks identical to the classic position.

I'll take some pic's tomorrow and add them to this post/thread.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the picture. It is a little hard to tell did the mod move the shift lever and brake lever back? Could you tell me what your inseam is it looks like a comfortable position.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the picture. It is a little hard to tell did the mod move the shift lever and brake lever back? Could you tell me what your inseam is it looks like a comfortable position.
The "mod" gives you exactly the same foot control position as the Vulcan 900 Classic, except it is on the Custom model. The controls are rearward of those on the stock Custom.

Inseam is 31 inches.

I may be able to photoshop a comparison picture showing both setups for you. Check back tomorrow.

Andy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is an overlay. The red captions id the position of the Custom Shift peg and the Custom Foot Peg. The barely visible green captions id the corresponding parts on the Classic. Notice the normal resting position of your foot on the Classic Floorboard is more than four inches rearward of the position of the foot on the Custom Foot Peg.

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts