Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with a 900 Classic and a DMY trunk installed I can use your insight. I would like to install a trunk myself, but I can’t find a rack that’s safe to mount it onto. I read about the wompus which cost upwards of 220 bucks. The trunk cost $100 less than that. I ride 2up more often than not, so it has to be strong. I’m not a machinist or welder so making one is not an option. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the Wompus Rack and what did you do about mounting your rack.

Thanks guys & Gals.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I know the wompus rack is pricey but since I wanted to make sure my wife was secure. There are no real points of failure. It's all one piece construction, no welds to break. Would highly recommend. Makes a great platform to mount the DMY trunk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the wompus rack is pricey but since I wanted to make sure my wife was secure. There are no real points of failure. It's all one piece construction, no welds to break. Would highly recommend. Makes a great platform to mount the DMY trunk.
When all is said and done, that may be my only real option. I am honestly surprised
that there isn't similar racks commercially available.

Thanks for the advice Bosco, You can bet that if I can't find what I need in a custom built rack, I'll most certainly come back to the Wompus. I've got to make a decision soon because I want to have it install by Daytona in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought one of those chrome racks from china for 50 bucks Its ugly on its own but I know I was just gonna cover it with the trunk,its solid and serves its purpose but like I say looks hiddeous with out a trunk or bag on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought one of those chrome racks from china for 50 bucks Its ugly on its own but I know I was just gonna cover it with the trunk,its solid and serves its purpose but like I say looks hiddeous with out a trunk or bag on it.
Feenixx is there a website where I can get a look at this rack and Do you have pics of yours.

·
Registered
702 Posts
those thin, chrome racks from China are, well, thin !! After bolting a Leather Lyke bag to one, the vibration caused it to crack, they're that thin. What I designed and had fabricated was made from 1/4" steel, reinforced with square steel tubing. I'll take the bag off and take better pics later today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heh Sirmickey bikes in storage so no photo but if you go to www.mutazu.com you will find the rack I have they sell it for $58 plus shipping or if you go to ebay motors under motorcycle parts ...input vulcan 900 rack you will find the one from china its very strong but the metal work and chrome is crappy anyways I got mine from china cause the shipping was like 10 bucks and from the US was like 48 bucks for the same rack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh Sirmickey bikes in storage so no photo but if you go to www.mutazu.com you will find the rack I have they sell it for $58 plus shipping or if you go to ebay motors under motorcycle parts ...input vulcan 900 rack you will find the one from china its very strong but the metal work and chrome is crappy anyways I got mine from china cause the shipping was like 10 bucks and from the US was like 48 bucks for the same rack.
Thanks for the all the responses. I 'll make sure I check it out. Do you believe them to be strong enough for riding 2up?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those thin, chrome racks from China are, well, thin !! After bolting a Leather Lyke bag to one, the vibration caused it to crack, they're that thin. What I designed and had fabricated was made from 1/4" steel, reinforced with square steel tubing. I'll take the bag off and take better pics later today.
Thanks Mark, I would certainty appreciate that. One option could be to take a photo to a shop and see what they would charge to build a similar one.

SirMickey

·
Registered
702 Posts
What I designed and had made was for a V2K, but can easily be adapted to the wife's VN 900 Classic LT. The only difference would be the spacing where it bolts right up to the stock brackets the backrest bolts to. Let me finish my banana, I'll go downstairs and take the Leather Lyke bag off, take some complete pics and be back shortly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
couple of shots with the Leather Lyke bag removed. Only the exposed sides are chromed, the rest I shot flat black. VERY sturdy platform for the bag or to strap stuff on top of.
That looks awesome. thanks to you and Feenixx's help, I feel like I have some reasonable options now. By the end of next week I will have had the opportunity to check with a couple of shops and know exactly which direction I'm gonna go, Wompus, custom or other aftermarket.

Peace Out

SirMickey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts