Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of Boss mc400 speakers. Researched alot and seemed like great speakers for a great price ($60). They come with mirror mounts but I read that many people buy their own mounts and put the speakers on the handle bars.

So I bought some rubber insulated p clamps and was ready to go. Except when I go to mount the speakers (which are 3" and have some weight to them) they won't stay secure to the bar and flip down. Tried a few things to give them more grip including strips of bike inner tube wrapped around 2 sided duct tape an ddthen the clamps....and they still spin!

Aside from buying actual speaker clamps, any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the same speakers, never even contemplated mounting to the handlebar, for me the mirror mounts spread the speakers out a good amount. I also did the risers mod with the craftsman sockets so I ended up taking large pliers and bending the brackets down a bit so the speakers wouldn't be too high... I've had them on for a couple months now and think they're great. I mounted the amp in my left side saddle bag for weather proofing.

]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I either lost my mirror mounts or they were never shipped in the box

On another note, is that a Mutazu trunk? if so, how do you/your riding partner like it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not Matuza, very inexpensive eBay trunk. I really like it though. My 10 year old son loves it. With the homemade mount I made its pretty solid. I would definitely recommend it. Especially for under $70 shipped to my door. With the wrap around backrest and the gel/memory foam inserts I put on the stock seat it makes for a real comfy ride for him. Edit: also, thinking back and looking at them, the mounts were already attached to the speakers. Wire runs through the middle of the hole so you can't even take the mount off without cutting and resplicing wires.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Not Matuza...
Hey Mrjcrod. Gan you post a closeup of the speakers mount at the mirror foot? Having trouble understanding how it goes on...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Audio-MC400-Motorcycle-Amplifier/dp/B004S4XMH2[/ame]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep in mind that I bent my brackets to get the height I wanted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Skinny fatboy, and all of you with the same speaker system. I'm looking for a good pair of speakers for my 2012 900 classic. How do you like that system? Is the sound clear enough? Loud enough? Does that system allow for an iPod or MP3 player to plug into it? How does the chrome look? Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also, which brand do all of you like better, Pyle or Boss? Assuming a comparable system with same wattage and same price. Which sounds better? Which has better reputation? Which is more durable?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chrome not great, very inexpensive system. Yes you can use anything with a headphone jack. Actually, you have to. There is no tuner. The volume is a wired rotary knob and I think it sounds very good. It's loud enough at highway speeds that I never have it turned all the way up. I went with this system over all others because of all the reviews I read. Overall, I'm glad I went with it and if it lasts a year or two I could always get another one. For the price I believe it can't be beat.
Also, I installed this system 2 1/2 months ago and use it every day. So far it's holding up great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mrjcrod. Where did you mount the amp? Does it come with long enough wire to put the amp in one of my rear saddle bags and then run the wires to my handlebars for the speaker? Also, I was thinking about the MC500. It's only $70 and is the same as the MC400, but has an FM tuner and a full function wireless remote. Does anyone out there have that one? Oh, one more question: I would like to wire the hot wire after the ignition switch, so it goes off when ignition is off. Where did you hook up the hot and ground wire?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check reviews on remote. I almost went that way but a few have said that remote is finicky. Didn't want to deal with it as I raise and lower my volume at most stop lights so I can talk to the person riding next to me. Turn knob works great. I mounted my amp in rear saddlebag but I had to extend speaker wires and volume knob wires. Tedious but wiring is something I like doing. As a matter of fact, I drilled my stock bars and ran my speaker wires along with all my wires internally. Ran my ground to battery and my hot wire through a hidden accessible toggle so I can run the speakers without having the key on. Personal preference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I ran an inline 5 amp fuse. Also, my 13 year old daughter rides with me a lot, so I left the headphone jack rolled up in the saddlebag and bought a 6 ft extension to run up under the tank to my handlebars. That way if my daughter is with me we can unplug the extension and she could take the wire and control the music from the back and when she's not with me it works like normal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of good reviews on the boss mc400 speakers: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Audio-MC400-Motorcycle-Amplifier/product-reviews/B004S4XMH2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1[/ame]

I am SUPER not handy so haven't got installed yet. Tried unsuccessfully to mount to handle bars with rubber insulated p clamps. Speakers move around/spin on me so going to mount on mirrors. Also, still figuring out how to wire to my ignition switch. Had side panels off this weekend but was unsuccessful. Weather was too nice today so went riding instead.

So....if anyone reading this can do a 'Wiring for Dummies' I would appreciate it ;). I went out and bout a fuse tap but - see above re not very handy

Excited to use the speakers and given where I live, hoping to use them before next riding season!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the MC400 accept a USB flashdrive or a SD card?

No, 3.5mm jack only. Very basic. I use either iPod or iPhone for audio. And yes on the speaker wire extension. Reg speaker wire is fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mrjcrod, this forum is great. I've decided to go with the MC400. Thank you for all your time and help.

Glad I could help. Here's a pic of saddlebag. That's a 12v outlet under it. I also have a Kuryakyn 12v outlet on my handlebar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One last question: how warm does that amp get? Do you think it would be okay if I put the amp in a small leather handlebar bag? I would like to keep it close to the speakers. If not, is there somewhere on the 900 classic it would fit without putting it in the rear saddlebag? Thanks

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
One last question: how warm does that amp get? Do you think it would be okay if I put the amp in a small leather handlebar bag? I would like to keep it close to the speakers. If not, is there somewhere on the 900 classic it would fit without putting it in the rear saddlebag? Thanks
Not hot at all. That was the same question I had for a rider here at my office. His little amp is in a small windshield pouch along with his garage clicker, extra glasses and stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts