Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now living and traveling full time in a Winnebago Journey 42E motorhome, flat towing our car. I have been looking at motorcycle lifts to carry our 2009 Nomad 1700 on the back of the motorhome. The issue that I am running into is that the Nomad is so wide and so low that there is a hard interference between the bike exhaust on the right side and the lift on all the lifts that I have looked at. I tried loading it onto a Hydra Lift this weekend, which is the largest one on the market, and it was a no go. At the minimum the tray that the bike runs into would need to be moved back and possibly back and up in order to clear the lift arms.

I would like to know if anyone out there has successfully used either a stock or a modified lift of any type to carry a Nomad 1700. PLEASE do not send me a list of lifts that you think might work. I am looking for someone who knows for certain based on owning and using a motorhome/lift combination. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We are now living and traveling full time in a Winnebago Journey 42E motorhome, flat towing our car. I have been looking at motorcycle lifts to carry our 2009 Nomad 1700 on the back of the motorhome. The issue that I am running into is that the Nomad is so wide and so low that there is a hard interference between the bike exhaust on the right side and the lift on all the lifts that I have looked at. I tried loading it onto a Hydra Lift this weekend, which is the largest one on the market, and it was a no go. At the minimum the tray that the bike runs into would need to be moved back and possibly back and up in order to clear the lift arms.

I would like to know if anyone out there has successfully used either a stock or a modified lift of any type to carry a Nomad 1700. PLEASE do not send me a list of lifts that you think might work. I am looking for someone who knows for certain based on owning and using a motorhome/lift combination. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
The first Hydralift that I tried to load onto was a 2007 model. I found another motorhome owner today that has a 2011 model mounted on his coach. The 2011 model has a different style tray that the wheels of the bike run into (bolted on instead of welded, and lighter construction). We were able to successfully load my Nomad onto his lift, although the clearance on the right side is very close. There are two places where the bike comes very close to the lift - the front mount for the driver's floorboard, and the front part of the exhaust shield on the right exhaust pipe.

I plan to contact Hydralift on Monday to see if it is possible to have the tray mounted further rearward on the lift. Another inch or so would make a big difference in getting the bike onto the lift. I'll post an update when I have more information.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey RogerE, We live full time on our 43' Allegro Bus. We have a OverBuilt lift. Over the last 10 years that we have been traveling full time this lift has worked with a 2003 Yamaha Roadstar 1600, a 2006 Nomad, a 2009 Yamaha Venture, a 2011 Voyager and now a 2012 Nomad. I've never had any problems with clearance even with my Cobra Tri Ovals on the last two bikes.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Wouldn't it be much safer to haul your bike on a trailer behind the RV? I would be scared the lift would crack someplace and then I would see the bike rolling behind me at some point destroying itself. I think the weight of a big bike would snap it off after taking a lot of bouncing down the highway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was going to say the Overbuilt lift too. I have a friend that used this for a few years, but abandoned it due to part/servicing issues and availability. He has since gone to a pull behind trailer and is much happier. He can also carry all of his riding gear in the trailer instead of in the coach. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think the OP said they were already towing a car? I think that might rule out towing anything else, unless maybe he upgrades to a truck with a bed big enough for the 1700 instead of the car? ;)

·
Banned
179 Posts
I think the OP said they were already towing a car? I think that might rule out towing anything else, unless maybe he upgrades to a truck with a bed big enough for the 1700 instead of the car? ;)
Okay I did not catch that in the beginning of the thread. I would then upgrade to a trailer with a longer tongue on it and a platform built on the front over the longer tongue for the bike to ride sideways on the trailer in front of the car.;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Okay I did not catch that in the beginning of the thread. I would then upgrade to a trailer with a longer tongue on it and a platform built on the front over the longer tongue for the bike to ride sideways on the trailer in front of the car.;)
The problem with pulling a trailer with the car and motorcycle in or on it is when you get to a campsite. Most campsites throughout the country are barely big enough to put a 40"+ motorcoach and a tow car on. A lot of resorts we go to if you have a trailer too, you are renting another site just for the trailer, not good. Now there is an upside to having a trailer, your bike stays nice and dry and clean. On the lift they do get a little dirty. But, that's what car washes are for. Now if your just going from point A to point B, staying 6 months or so at a time in each, don't mind staying in truck stops or rest areas along the way and don't mind paying for trailer storage after you get to your destination, then a trailer is a good option. But there is one other option. Get a pickup truck 1/2 ton will do, get an EZ Load ramp and put the bike up in the pickup. My brother has the EZ Load Motorcycle Ramp and it's really awesome. I've even thought about going to this. Go to their website, they're really cool!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with pulling a trailer with the car and motorcycle in or on it is when you get to a campsite. Most campsites throughout the country are barely big enough to put a 40"+ motorcoach and a tow car on. A lot of resorts we go to if you have a trailer too, you are renting another site just for the trailer, not good. Now there is an upside to having a trailer, your bike stays nice and dry and clean. On the lift they do get a little dirty. But, that's what car washes are for. Now if your just going from point A to point B, staying 6 months or so at a time in each, don't mind staying in truck stops or rest areas along the way and don't mind paying for trailer storage after you get to your destination, then a trailer is a good option. But there is one other option. Get a pickup truck 1/2 ton will do, get an EZ Load ramp and put the bike up in the pickup. My brother has the EZ Load Motorcycle Ramp and it's really awesome. I've even thought about going to this. Go to their website, they're really cool!
You are quite correct in all respects. Our coach is 44 feet long and we need to be selective about what parks we go to. I have looked at the pickup bed carriers, but I just can't talk my wife into a pickup truck. A trailer is not practical for us because we do a lot of traveling in the summer months. A big trailer is OK if you just move from north to south for the winter, as an example, but is impractical for changing locations frequently. A trailer big enough for the bike and the car would also make us longer than the legal length in all but a couple of states and all of Canada. We are already at 65 feet towing our Buick Lucerne, and that is overlength in many states.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey RogerE, We live full time on our 43' Allegro Bus. We have a OverBuilt lift. Over the last 10 years that we have been traveling full time this lift has worked with a 2003 Yamaha Roadstar 1600, a 2006 Nomad, a 2009 Yamaha Venture, a 2011 Voyager and now a 2012 Nomad. I've never had any problems with clearance even with my Cobra Tri Ovals on the last two bikes.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try and find someone with an Overbilt so I can evaluate how it loads.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two issues that make a big trailer impractical for us. One is overall length. Our motorhome is 44 feet long. A trailer big enough for our car and the bike will make us longer than is legal in all but a couple states and all of Canada. The other issue is what to do with the trailer when you get to a campground. We are already limited in where we can go because of the size of our coach. A big trailer is only practical if you just travel from point A to point B a couple of times a year and then unload. We stayed in 48 different parks by actual count in 10 months this year. Unloading, storing and reloading a trailer that many times would be a full time job:))

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldn't it be much safer to haul your bike on a trailer behind the RV? I would be scared the lift would crack someplace and then I would see the bike rolling behind me at some point destroying itself. I think the weight of a big bike would snap it off after taking a lot of bouncing down the highway.
The lifts are all designed to carry 1,000 pounds with no issues such as you expressed concern about. The bigger issue is that they do lever about 2-1/2 times that amount of weight onto the rear axle(s) of the coach. Our motorhome has a tag axle in addition to the drive axle so we have a total of 30,000 pounds gross weight capacity on the rear wheels. We are carrying 24,000 lbs o the rear axles by scale weight, so we have plenty of margin.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
need a rolling garage w/tools.

u fellas need to post pix of yor toys so we can see watt yor writin about and not just imagine we kno it.
all this towin and haulin and livin in a motor coach is fodder for retirement ideas.

I thot an ideal custom bilt coach would have a garage in the back that would hydraulic lower flat to the ground when parked complete with retractable roll up door.. roll out, roll in. Then load the toys, secured and the floor and sidewalls lift and lock for rolling down the road.
head room would be minimal when stowed and full+ when in lower position.
there still be a tow bar for a 4wd Jeep behind. need something to make beer runs in.

I guess I just dont want what everybody else has.? butt think this concept, if do able would catch an quick. now Im gonna need to put up some pix of this idea. poncho

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
u fellas need to post pix of yor toys so we can see watt yor writin about and not just imagine we kno it.
all this towin and haulin and livin in a motor coach is fodder for retirement ideas.

I thot an ideal custom bilt coach would have a garage in the back that would hydraulic lower flat to the ground when parked complete with retractable roll up door.. roll out, roll in. Then load the toys, secured and the floor and sidewalls lift and lock for rolling down the road.
head room would be minimal when stowed and full+ when in lower position.
there still be a tow bar for a 4wd Jeep behind. need something to make beer runs in.

I guess I just dont want what everybody else has.? butt think this concept, if do able would catch an quick. now Im gonna need to put up some pix of this idea. poncho
Hi Poncho. There are RV's on the market called Toy Haulers - travel trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes - that are designed just as you suggest. They have a small garage in the rear with a fold down ramp for loading. The trade off is that you give up living space in order to have the garage onboard. Many RV's compensate for this by having fold down bunks, etc. in the garage area for use when the toys are unloaded. Here is a link with a couple of examples. http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHaulers/

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I like having a real garage.

Hi Poncho. There are RV's on the market called Toy Haulers - travel trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes - that are designed just as you suggest. They have a small garage in the rear with a fold down ramp for loading.
re, yeah have seen plenty toy haulers.. is not the concept I have in mind. look at this here sketch. The idea is to have a complete 2 bike garage w/tools integrated into the back of a rolling motor coach. It lowers to ground level where the toys can be rolled in and out just like a garage. Also a roll down, lockable garage door. You use it just like a garage anytime when the Bus is parked.
When its time to change zip codes, ride the bikes (toys) in and secure them. Push the button, electric pump-hydraulic pistons lift the garage (24"?) into the back of the Bus. some head room is lost in the lift. The rigg has multiple locking pins to secure the structure from lowering while rolling.

A rear bumper w/ tow bar is integrated into the substructure so you can hook up the 4x4 behind.

yeah, I know its a dream. its what I do. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re, yeah have seen plenty toy haulers.. is not the concept I have in mind. look at this here sketch. The idea is to have a complete 2 bike garage w/tools integrated into the back of a rolling motor coach. It lowers to ground level where the toys can be rolled in and out just like a garage. Also a roll down, lockable garage door. You use it just like a garage anytime when the Bus is parked.
When its time to change zip codes, ride the bikes (toys) in and secure them. Push the button, electric pump-hydraulic pistons lift the garage (24"?) into the back of the Bus. some head room is lost in the lift. The rigg has multiple locking pins to secure the structure from lowering while rolling.

A rear bumper w/ tow bar is integrated into the substructure so you can hook up the 4x4 behind.

yeah, I know its a dream. its what I do. poncho
I see. I like the concept. Being able to drive in at ground level would be a plus, as would a roll up door. All it takes is money:))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kawi on Motorhome

Hey guys. Here are a couple of Pics of my Vaquero on the back of my Motorhome.
I wanted to put a Cruiser Lift on the Coach but the combined weight of the Lift and my Vaquero would have been over 1200 Lbs.
I went with the Blue Ox carrier. Bike and carrier under 950Lbs. I remove the rear bags when traveling.
I was concerned about rear loading axle after I did the math (weight of bike and carrier X lever arm rear axle to bike).
Not saying this was the only way or best way to go, just works for me.
Downside is the Carrier rides at the Hitch height and can drag over some uneven surfaces if you are not careful.
Up side was carrier was $750 off amazon and a DYI install if you can weld. (local RV dealer quoted $300 install).
I pull a Jeep Wrangler behind the bike.
Made a Cincinnati to Melbourne Fl trip earlier this year with no problems.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts