Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a trailer like those from Home Depot/Lowes to transport their Bike. If I want to take my bike on long trips, then a trailer is my only option. My wife will not travel 2 up outside the local area. Which mean that on long trips It comes down to either the wife or the bike.,:confused: So far the wife is undefeated.

From wheel to wheel the vulcan is nearly 9 ft long so I'd have to consider size ?w x 10L.

I considered customizing a Harbor Frt trailer, but mine will have multiple uses (Riding Mower, Appliances, trips to the Hardware Stores etc.) so I need side panels and a gate.

Just looking for suggestions, pros and cons.

Sirmickey

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Does anyone use a trailer like those from Home Depot/Lowes to transport their Bike. If I want to take my bike on long trips, then a trailer is my only option. My wife will not travel 2 up outside the local area. Which mean that on long trips It comes down to either the wife or the bike.,:confused: So far the wife is undefeated.

From wheel to wheel the vulcan is nearly 9 ft long so I'd have to consider size ?w x 10L.

I considered customizing a Harbor Frt trailer, but mine will have multiple uses (Riding Mower, Appliances, trips to the Hardware Stores etc.) so I need side panels and a gate.

Sirmickey
Do what i do, ride out to the destination, fly her in, ride around for a week, then fly her home while i ride home. I get to ride lots, she gets to vacation ... its a win - win.

Having said that , we have no curtain climbers to tag along.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Enclosed trailer is the only way to go, in your case. When stoped for the night it's locked up safe and sound. My dad has a 14'er can't beat it. You can get two bikes in, coolers, gear, anything else you want to use it for, you've got enough room.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have an '07 Custom and the HF 4 x 8 trailer. The bike fits fine on it. With the front wheel locked against the front rails I have about 1" clearance as I drop the tailgate into place. The LT is nearly 3" longer so it wouldn't fit on an 8' bed.

Whiting has the right idea and with the cost of fuel these days it may be cheaper than trailering. Oh yeah, all my rug-rats have their own rugs now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I bought a 12 foot long trailer last year for my V2K as my wife has back issues and long rides are very hard on her body. The key factor for me was buying a trailer that had full size tires so the bearings don't get so hot on a long day. Having said that now I wish I had bought a trailer with tandem axle, pulls way easier than a single axle for my little Chevy Colorado. I pulled a car with a tandem axle trailer this past winter and it pulled easier than my single axle with just the bike on it. Whatever you do I highly recommend a wheel chock. I got the Condor and it works great, goes on and off with 4 simple wing nuts, and you can store it safe and sound inside your truck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We had a cheap trailer like that...and it was a piece of unmitigated cr%p,,,,, the mesh bed sagged as the bikes bounce and beat the thing to death....it was a real pain getting big bikes up onto the thing... had no wheel chocks so the bikes moved around (until they dug holes in the flooring !) ... rode like a tank behind our Durango. finally gave it away and bought a Kendon dual trailer. Nice low entry / exit... tows like a dream... I know they are expensive but I wish I had not tried to go cheap in the first place.

Annie

Sirmickey

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm with Annie. Those trailers are ok for light useage, but if you're putting something as heavy as your bike on there, especially for longer trips, it won't hold up.

You're a lot further ahead getting a heavier-duty trailer, and you'd be better off for the around-the-house uses you're planning too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enclosed trailer is the only way to go, in your case. When stoped for the night it's locked up safe and sound. My dad has a 14'er can't beat it. You can get two bikes in, coolers, gear, anything else you want to use it for, you've got enough room.
Thanks for the advice BFP. An Enclosed trailer would be sweet, but the truth is funding is an issue unless I can find a used one...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a 12 foot long trailer last year for my V2K as my wife has back issues and long rides are very hard on her body. The key factor for me was buying a trailer that had full size tires so the bearings don't get so hot on a long day. Having said that now I wish I had bought a trailer with tandem axle, pulls way easier than a single axle for my little Chevy Colorado. I pulled a car with a tandem axle trailer this past winter and it pulled easier than my single axle with just the bike on it. Whatever you do I highly recommend a wheel chock. I got the Condor and it works great, goes on and off with 4 simple wing nuts, and you can store it safe and sound inside your truck.
A 12 footer is a pretty large trailer, I believe 10ft would work for my classic. You mentioned wheel size, what would be the optima wheel size for a trailer used for transporting a mid-size bike.

SirMickey

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with Annie. Those trailers are ok for light useage, but if you're putting something as heavy as your bike on there, especially for longer trips, it won't hold up.

You're a lot further ahead getting a heavier-duty trailer, and you'd be better off for the around-the-house uses you're planning too.
Would the U-HAUL utility trailer qualify as heavy Duty.. It's a 9ft single axle.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=RT

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the advice BFP. An Enclosed trailer would be sweet, but the truth is funding is an issue unless I can find a used one...
I saw a cheapy open trailer the other day with two bikes in it. The owner had put down 3/4" waterproof "GLIT" .. you know the stuff like plywood. He has also installed 2 front wheel chocks ... $51 at JC Whitney but there available elsewhere cheaper as well as some decent tie down rings.

For ramps, same thing, JC Whitney ... $40

Heres a review ..

"The ramp is excellent quality and very easy to install. I bought this so i could use it just a couple times to load a sport bike in the back of my truck. I used it to load a Yamaha YZF600 in the back of my Honda Ridgeline. I chose to use a 2x8 but decided to double it up b/c it didn't seem that sturdy. And doubled up it was plenty sturdy. I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my tail gate so i bought some heavy duty chain with a heavy duty eye hook from Lowes and attached one end to the ramp and the other to a link on my hitch. This prevented any sliding although the rubber feet seemed to have been enough to prevent sliding."

Tallannie's right, you get what you pay for, but with relatively cheap additions, it might work for you. I don't like a single axle for bike trailers, but when funds are limited .......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a cheapy open trailer the other day with two bikes in it. The owner had put down 3/4" waterproof "GLIT" .. you know the stuff like plywood. He has also installed 2 front wheel chocks ... $51 at JC Whitney but there available elsewhere cheaper as well as some decent tie down rings.

For ramps, same thing, JC Whitney ... $40

Heres a review ..

"The ramp is excellent quality and very easy to install. I bought this so i could use it just a couple times to load a sport bike in the back of my truck. I used it to load a Yamaha YZF600 in the back of my Honda Ridgeline. I chose to use a 2x8 but decided to double it up b/c it didn't seem that sturdy. And doubled up it was plenty sturdy. I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my tail gate so i bought some heavy duty chain with a heavy duty eye hook from Lowes and attached one end to the ramp and the other to a link on my hitch. This prevented any sliding although the rubber feet seemed to have been enough to prevent sliding."

Tallannie's right, you get what you pay for, but with relatively cheap additions, it might work for you. I don't like a single axle for bike trailers, but when funds are limited .......
Whiting57...
The HD and Lowe's trailer has the Wooden Desk... The front wheel chocks that HF sales for around $60 seem to be heavy duty and plenty stable.

SirMickey

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Although I agree that the HF trailer isn't suited for long distance, I need to clarify that the bed is not mesh. It comes with no bed at all and you purchase 3/4" plywood separately for that. The plywood is more than enough to support the bike and wheel chock would mount fairly easily. It also comes with brackets to use 2x4s (4x2s for our friends down under) as uprights for side rails. Keep in mind that we're talking about a $300 trailer.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Would the U-HAUL utility trailer qualify as heavy Duty.. It's a 9ft single axle.
If you could pick up one of those, i think you'd be very happy with it. That looks like a really nice trailer and would probably suit your needs really well.

EDIT: Been doing a little research on this. It is indeed a nice trailer, but i think you're limited to rental. It doesn't appear as though U-Haul sells their trailers; they use them until there's no life left in them.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the advice & insight, you’ve been very helpful. That’s why I like visiting this forum... Well, I’ve learned quite a bit about the Lowe’s and HF trailers over the past several weeks by visiting the stores and talking with knowledgable folk, including this thread. I'm now going to focus on the UHAUL open traler and the small enclosed type trailers. From far away, they both appear to be excellent choices. So now it's time for closer scrutiny. I’ll be researching things such as sadety and impact on insurance, Price & upkeep (it will be kept uncovered), and how they handle on the interstate. After all, the interstate is my primary motivation for getting one. So you can see, I have not made a decision just yet.

Ride on Brother,
SirMickey

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just my $0.02...

Last year, I had a chance to pick up an almost new 6' x 10' utility trailer that is perfect for my current needs. Single axle, but 14" wheels and Bearing Buddies. A full size spare, a 4', full width, drop down tail gate. Pressure-treated 2x6 flooring, so no sagging mesh. And although it's an open trailer, the front and sides of the trailer are solid sheet metal up to 2', with an angle iron rail above that. Nice rock protection for the 9. Last year, I pulled my 9 on the trailer behind my V8 Grand Prix to a rally in Kentucky, Interstate all the way, and barely even noticed it was back there. I was a little concerned about trailering with a stock tranny, so this year I picked up a used pickup with a towing package. Now I really don't notice it's even there. A friend in the Cruisers just borrowed the trailer for a round trip to Ohio, pulled by her minivan! She reported no problems.

Eventually, I plan to move up to a full dresser, probably a Voyager. When I do, I'll also start looking for an enclosed trailer. But until then, my $600 utility trailer does just about everything I need!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts