Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this in the New Riders forum because I wish I'd seen it last year. I'm 55 and I had mild tinnitus (ringing in the ears) before I got back into riding last year after a 30+ year hiatus. I bought a VN900, found this forum, and began learning a lot about motorcycling. I'm sure I came across ear protection topics but did not give it much thought. Well, about early Fall I realized my ear were ringing a lot more. It kind of snuck up on me because sometimes my ears would ring more than other times... I was use to that. But, they were ringing more and louder. Over the Winter I fully realized what had happened. Wind noise. It can damage your hearing and once the damage is done there's no cure, no going back. You're going to hear that ringing forever. I've made my peace with it but I'd pay about anything to fix it.

So, this year I started wearing ear plugs, the little cheap foam ones. I tried a few other styles but these work best. At first I thought I might not be able to do it and may have to give up the bike. But, after the third time I rode with them, I realized 20 minutes in that I hadn't even thought about them. Then I realized how much more relaxed I was. So, now I'm hooked. I went for a quick ride tonight so thought I'd skip them, wasn't going to go too fast. Wow... now I miss them when not there.

Anyway, New Riders looking at the New Rider forum, if you don't know about this or think it's not an issue, I encourage you to think again. Learn about it. Forever's a long time.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Dave,
I can hear a slight ringing right now.
Earlier today I could hear the cicadas in the trees.
Last year I couldn't have told the difference.

Wear earplugs every trip and there's hope it will get better.

Scott

·
Registered
394 Posts
While wearing plugs is never a bad thing, always wearing a quality full-face helmet nearly negates the necessity to wear ear plugs, in addition to saving your ugly mug should you end up face down on the asphalt.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,
I can hear a slight ringing right now.
Earlier today I could hear the cicadas in the trees.
Last year I couldn't have told the difference.

Wear earplugs every trip and there's hope it will get better.

Scott
Glad to hear you have gotten better. I hope I can report the same next year.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While wearing plugs is never a bad thing, always wearing a quality full-face helmet nearly negates the necessity to wear ear plugs, in addition to saving your ugly mug should you end up face down on the asphalt.
I got this helmet last year when I started riding and always wear it. Noise level is mid-range per the reviews. I wear glasses and can't get a regular full-face helmet on over them but the modular works well. I've considered better modular that is quieter but haven't come across one for a reasonable price that looked much better for noise. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gmax-gm54s-modular-helmet-solid

·
Registered
318 Posts
A couple hundred thousand rounds through a machine gun, helicopter rides, explosions, having both eardrums ruptured three separate times, loud as hell heavy metal in my younger "party going" days...

I don't even worry about it too much anymore, about the only thing I can really count on hearing is the ringing.

By the way guys, there are eardrops and oral supplements in the pharmacy sections of the freakshow (walmart) that supposedly relieve tinnitus. Don't bother. If you're at that point already, you're screwed.

Something most of us never took notice of in our younger days: our bodies are the only ones we'll ever get. Oh, you may get lucky with a heart or lung transplant, sure. Kidney, liver too.

But there is so much crap we do to our bodies without fully comprehending the consequences. Smoking (guilty) leads to heart disease, emphysema, COPD, cancer... drinking leads to liver failure, sclerosis, obesity, dead brain cells... loud shit leads to hearing loss. Unhealthy eating leads to more health problems than anyone can list.

While many injuries are repairable, many more are not. Hearing loss is one. Obesity is almost impossible to completely conquer once you enter that realm (ask Oprah). lung cancer, survive it, then let's talk about how good you feel every day.

We gotta take care of ourselves, gents. I'm trying to raise a good kid, but I look at the rest of my generation, and others of my son's generation, and ya know what? The whole world's screwed if we don't stick around to beat some sense into these dimwits.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It can also cause death, paralysis, broken bones, scars, brain damage, lost limbs, etc, etc, etc.

It's not for the faint of heart, but it's well worth it!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A couple hundred thousand rounds through a machine gun, helicopter rides, explosions, having both eardrums ruptured three separate times, loud as hell heavy metal in my younger "party going" days...
Do I live with you? You sound like a guy that I live with! LOL!:D

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Lol, nah man, but I've had some good times!
LOL - when I give Lloyd crap about listening to his music too loud, he usually tell me a story about helicopters, or flying jets, or his days as a machine gunner, and it's it with, " . . . so the hearing is mostly gone anyway". LMAO!

·
Registered
318 Posts
LOL - when I give Lloyd crap about listening to his music too loud, he usually tell me a story about helicopters, or flying jets, or his days as a machine gunner, and it's it with, " . . . so the hearing is mostly gone anyway". LMAO!
Oh I know how he feels! I do turn the music down these day, and wear earplugs around ANY noise that's louder than conversational speaking in the (likely) vain hopes that some of my hearing ranges will come back!

Hrmmm.... looking at watcha said, this fella tells tall tales? That's a lot of specialty for one man!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hrmmm.... looking at watcha said, this fella tells tall tales? That's a lot of specialty for one man!
I know, right? :D No tall tales - all of it true, and well documented!

I'm pretty proud of the guy I got. He joined the U.S. Marines right out of high school. Enlisted, and was an Infantryman for an enlistment, then re-enlisted and went to school to be a helicopter mechanic (not sure which one - I've seen pictures, and it's the biggest one they have, I think?). He was a mechanic and maintenance instructor. He put himself through college, learned to fly airplanes, was a flight instructor (I've even let him fly me around in small planes! LOL), and is now an airline pilot, flying jets.

And, he has some other amazing skills, as well!! :p

He's done a lot of crap for his age. I don't keep him around for nothing! :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know, right? :D No tall tales - all of it true, and well documented!

I'm pretty proud of the guy I got. He joined the U.S. Marines right out of high school. Enlisted, and was an Infantryman for an enlistment, then re-enlisted and went to school to be a helicopter mechanic (not sure which one - I've seen pictures, and it's the biggest one they have, I think?). He was a mechanic and maintenance instructor. He put himself through college, learned to fly airplanes, was a flight instructor (I've even let him fly me around in small planes! LOL), and is now an airline pilot, flying jets.

And, he has some other amazing skills, as well!! :p

He's done a lot of crap for his age. I don't keep him around for nothing! :D
Holy crapola man! I signed up for the Marines before I finished high school. Then dropped out and did the homeschool route through texas tech university ISD so I could finish quicker. Finished almost a full year early, and was off to Parris Island three days after my diploma came in the mail. Thank god. Everyone I hung with has a criminal record now and can't find work. Not saying I'm a saint, but it kept me away from stealing and dealing.

How old's the guy? Sounds like he worked on the CH53 Super Stallion. One of the guys my ex wife liked to cheat on me with used to work on those.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Holy crapola man! I signed up for the Marines before I finished high school. Then dropped out and did the homeschool route through texas tech university ISD so I could finish quicker. Finished almost a full year early, and was off to Parris Island three days after my diploma came in the mail. Thank god. Everyone I hung with has a criminal record now and can't find work. Not saying I'm a saint, but it kept me away from stealing and dealing.

How old's the guy? Sounds like he worked on the CH53 Super Stallion. One of the guys my ex wife liked to cheat on me with used to work on those.
Wow, that's pretty impressive! Getting done a year early is amazing! Most kids wouldn't have that kind of self-discipline. And, nobody likes the saintly guys, anyway - I know I don't. I like to say that you need enough in your life to keep it interesting. If the only people that want to read your "book" are deacons and nuns, you need to step it up!!:D

He's 39. That could be it - I honestly don't remember. I DO remember him saying that it has three engines. And, while I doubt it was him your wife was seeing, hopefully it wasn't . . . LOL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It was really pretty easy to finish a year early. In school, I had a problem with being held back by schedules. I had to keep pace with the slowest people in class. Once I did the home schooling, I could actually concentrate and work at my own pace. I was raised on a farm too, so it's not like I sat at my desk from sun up until sundown. I found it easy to do assignments in 10-15 minutes that would normally take an entire class period to do. I could get 3-4 days worth of classwork per subject done in an hour to an hour and a half. And I didn't take off for weekends, holidays, vacations, or summer. Because it's so stupid easy when you can take your work with you.

So I quit regular school at the beginning of my junior year, and got my diploma the next summer. I wish I'd done it as soon as I'd started high school as a freshman.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Absolutely hated riding in these. They cruised with a tail down attitude, and always being the last man on, I was seated at the very back, right next to the tail gunner, and always felt like I was gonna fall out, especially if some ass popped off an RPG. And the tail gunner just stood on the back ramp, one hand in his pocket, smoking a cigarette with the other, no safety harness or anything, just chill as can be.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_CH-53E_Super_Stallion

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been thinking about trying a set of these out:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2F87I8?psc=1[/ame]

The fact these can filter loud noise noise and allow quieter sounds through (If I stop to talk during a ride I have to take my helmet off to get my earplugs out) is really nice. They got great reviews as well.

Anyone ever tried these?

Currently I use the yellow and red EAR brand earplugs and they are great but I tend to go through them pretty quickly since they aren't exactly washable...

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been thinking about trying a set of these out:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2F87I8?psc=1

The fact these can filter loud noise noise and allow quieter sounds through (If I stop to talk during a ride I have to take my helmet off to get my earplugs out) is really nice. They got great reviews as well.

Anyone ever tried these?

Currently I use the yellow and red EAR brand earplugs and they are great but I tend to go through them pretty quickly since they aren't exactly washable...
I have a set of these which are similar.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Earplugs-Fidelity-Series-1-Pair/dp/B000V9PKZA/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1397493845&sr=1-4&keywords=hearos+ear+plugs[/ame]

I found they were not nearly as comfortable as the form earplugs. But, some folks like them. Personal preference I guess. They are a bit easier to get in because you don't have to roll them up. They don't seem to seal as well for me either but I have big ear canals I think. I have trouble getting the foam ones to expand enough to seal sometimes, especially in my right ear. I have to insert it backwards to get it to seal. No big deal but a bit of pain.

BTW... the link did not work when I clicked it but I was able to copy the URL (right click it to get the context menu) and paste it into the address bar to see the ones you are asking about.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hunters and competition shooters have been using similar plugs for years now with great results. Myself, I don't bother. Ear plugs are free for me at work, and I haven't yet been in a situation where I was left wishing I could hear softer sounds while my earplugs were in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts