Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is the proper place top post this......luggage is riding gear...sort of.

Every year some friends and I take a trip on our bikes. (I have a vulcan Custom, which I love!). I never seem to have enough storage capacity in my saddlebags. So, as father's day approached, I started hunting for some luggage that my kids could get for me. The prices range from cheap up to several hundred dollars. Since it is really only once a year that I would need it, that seemed way to steep.

I came across a site called Viking Bags. After lots and lots of research, I found some favourable and not-so-favourable reviews. I gambled and purchased some luggage anyways.

http://www.vikingbags.com/Economy-Line-Motorcycle-Luggage-7744-prd1.htm

I wasn't expecting much for a $44 bag, but since I only planned on using it once a year, I figured it would be sufficient. However, shipping to Canada (I am just outside of Toronto)was some ridiculous amount (I think it was $60!) so I had it shipped to a place just across the border in Niagara falls that accepts packages for $5 for people like me who are too cheap to pay $60 for shipping. (plus I was headed to Niagara any ways for my sons birthday!)

After I got the bag home, I had a closer inspection. I can not believe this only cost $44. It is great quality, has a separate smaller roll bag, rain cover included, it shipped in about 4 or 5 days, comes with all of the straps and stuff to mount it, plus it has straps to turn it into a backpack. I am very pleased. I had read a lot of stories about poor customer service from Viking Bags, delayed shipping, wrong stuff arriving etc. but based on my experience, I would recommend. :):good:

I haven't put it on my bike yet, but it looks pretty straight forward. My saddle bags used to be crammed full on our trips. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have an awesome trip planned for September!:D

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Anyone notice that the picture of the bike on this link is a mirror image or a south paws dream come true can't quite tell. ha ha

·
Registered
98 Posts
My saddle bags used to be crammed full on our trips. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have an awesome trip planned for September!:D
Nice pick!

Try packing into Space Bags and you'll be surprised how much more you can cram into your luggage. My wife does the packing for our m/c trips and has been amazing me for years with those bags. Another benefit is that you don't need the rain covers as the space bags are water-tight... and your luggage will dry off quickly in the wind. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Nice!

I just did my first extended motorcycle trip, our honeymoon!

We're about to head back after a week, total fun, rode all over the place. Here's what I did:

Here's the skinny, due to some unforeseen circumstances we had previously canceled (rather delayed) our trip. At the last minute, things worked out, and we could go. This was the day of the wedding, planning on (and did) leave two days later. No time to shop for motorcycle luggage online and the selection at the local dealer was super sparse, small, and expensive. I bought two large duffel bags with lots of little loops for tying at Wal-Mart, for about $20 a piece. I also got that sissy bar bag that I've been SUPER pleased with at Wally World, for about $40. I don't have a luggage rack, but that bag sits just fine and doesn't slouch at all. It has a pocket for the sissy bar to slide into, sinches on tight, and because I'm OCD about wanting my luggage to stay on in a hurricane, I added a couple bungies to it as well. It has two loops on the bottom, ran bungies from that to the place where the sissy bar mounts to the bike.

Duffel bags have two ratchet straps looped around the saddlebags, and around the saddlebag mounts, ratcheted tightly (carefully packed so in those spots its just clothes, not camera/laptop, etc.) Then, I used a small bungie to tie the ratched straps together underneath the saddlebag, to prevent them from sliding outward and off of the saddlebag.

Finally, bungies on the front and rear of each duffel (not shown, hadn't done that yet), are run through loops on each side of the duffel, and to the bike, to hold the bags up close to the bike.

600 miles later, absolutely fine, nothing even budged, and 7 days later I'm writing this on my laptop, in clean clothes, with my DSLR camera charging, extra lenses and tripod sitting on a table, well, you get the idea. We packed everything we wanted in more.

The sissy bar bag was our 'en route' bag. It had the camera case (For pulling off the side of the road for a snapshot), a small soft cooler with ice and water so we could hydrate in this 100+ weather, some sunscreen, a first aid kit, and a couple bicycle cable-locks I used when we were stopped to lock my luggage and helmets to the bike. (not fort knox, but hopefully it'll steel any wandering eyes away, probably an unnecessary precaution but, I had those cable locks sitting around so I threw them in there)

I had planned on that being a one time setup but, it has worked so well I think that's how we'll do it in the future. Whiting57 will have a heart attack looking at it, he loves to tell stories of bungies and cables stuck in rear wheels but I think I took necessary precautions. Plus this setup was a heckuvalot cheaper than one of his fancy trailers ;)

(Oh, also, not to pick on my wife or anything but notice how the far bag is stuffed to the gills? That was hers. Notice how the close bag is sinched tight and not even full? That's mine, and it has some of her stuff in it. hehehe) - Oh but that brings up a point. I gave her a bag to pack and then packed mine. This setup made low speed maneuvering a challenge because of the weight offset, and if you lean to steer instead of counter-steering, it would probably make it handle poorly. When we got to the first hotel, we evened the weight in the bags. Made for more secure strapping, and made it right as if it weren't there!

Edit: Oh, and there is a strap running in the back loops of the duffel bags with a bungie holding both bags together, also helping keep everything tight, up against the bike, and without shifting (even when riding the Ozark 'mountain' twisties)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Looks like you know how to make things work. I was always told. "those that can't do, do with out". Good thinking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Top job Romans 5:8 :) looking @ your pic & reading about your set up has given me a couple of ideas. Love your work,

Arch

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking at your pic ! You've done a nice job !
This one was funny...

$6.00 ! Wow that's expensive :) its good to see 1 thing in OZ is cheaper than the usa LOL. I don't think my manager will agree with the styling/cosmetic apearence of a milk crate on the back ? Although with a bit of foam tied to it - it would be a good backrest for her & I would save more $$ :)

:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
You've inspired my thoughts :) the manager (wife) & I will be going on a 11 - 12 day cruise in August & it's good to see how other cruiser owners have done it.
Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, Arch..at that point in time, I had no extra money to buy proper luggage. With the crate and a couple of dry bags, it did the trick. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well we're back from our trip. 7 days, 1,000 miles. Would have been more but in this heat, we elected to ride a little less. Duffel bags and a sissy bar bag worked out pretty good for us! Never lost anything, and strapped the way I had them, they never once shifted or moved. Worked good! Got a few weird looks from cagers though. And a very enthusiastic 'rock on' from another bike who laughed as he pulled away from the stop. Guess he thought it was cool! lol.

I'll be honest, we looked at motorcycle specific luggage and, it's just not great. For a 2-day trip maybe but, there's not much room, they are very expensive, and most of them are fairly unwieldy off the bike. They look nicer than my duffel bags, but I've got a lot more room and it sits lower on the bike, making the weight less of an issue.

The only downfall of my setup is rain. Not an issue on this trip but, we kept a box of trash bags with us just in case. My plan was to stick the duffel bags in a couple of layers of trash bags (no puns about my trashy luggage setup now), then strap them back on to keep it all dry. Didn't need it though, unfortunately (we need rain!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm hearing ya blues, I'm hoping my finances will last for our trip coming up ! The last time we went camping on a bike was 26 years ago & we had a real dodgy set up with a couple of oky straps, I think you call them bungies ? But it all works for sure :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you had a great tip Romans ! I'm envious of all you blokes goin on these trips.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don;t know if this link will work, but here is the trip I am planning in September:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=St.+Catharines,+ON&daddr=42.89478,-78.51165+to:42.86149,-77.1774+to:42.92889,-76.7831+to:42.90438,-75.67126+to:Saratoga+Springs,+NY,+United+States+to:43.24582,-73.09154+to:42.93273,-73.2101+to:42.88438,-73.19687+to:42.82133,-73.20911+to:42.60372,-73.2388+to:42.02237,-73.34604+to:Hunter,+NY,+United+States+to:42.10011,-74.31464+to:Cooperstown,+NY,+United+States+to:42.67487,-76.64772+to:42.913228,-76.85414+to:42.85786,-77.1065+to:42.90455,-78.11686+to:St.+Catharines,+ON&hl=en&ll=42.949387,-73.013763&spn=0.438262,1.432343&sll=42.928274,-73.127747&sspn=0.219206,0.716171&geocode=FU6PkgId8clG-ylLWmq7VFDTiTE3KAhsY2N1Aw%3BFbyFjgId3gFS-ymRWaTZiKLTiTGfT8DR1486pA%3BFbIDjgIdyF1m-yn19eYXl9jQiTHlXRceLdkJTg%3BFfoKjwIdBGJs-ymT6B4QXrbQiTEIaH_oCB83uQ%3BFTyrjgIdJFl9-ylp3iuUyX_ZiTHeLXMH3XmvpA%3BFXplkQIdCyOa-yk51FvHTjjeiTGoopQbakUdZA%3BFfzgkwIdLLak-ymb-ndpf2fgiTEzLypIVa78rw%3BFfoZjwIdDOei-ymXugRrN5HgiTHcV-zEPZlHtQ%3BFRxdjgIduhqj-ykL1rGKYpbgiTFpQwfQ4bV-xA%3BFdJmjQId6uqi-ymF3af1uL3giTHcYTWos717TA%3BFcgUigId8Hai-ykvjbRUSLLgiTGjk-A0o5qNug%3BFeI1gQIdCNSg-ykhsrAiZ3nniTHx5sIZ0mW0CA%3BFUMhhAId_oKT-ynZbBuKhFLciTGnhqIPnzboAg%3BFY5lggIdcAyS-ynRtpTNB1bciTECKHnqlpuTrw%3BFVaPiwId376I-yk3Ao4vKwHciTFGpHV1g8rfgA%3BFbYqiwId2HJu-ylh_BMthpfQiTFRhxql9lO7ig%3BFczNjgIdhExr-yn_yK7HS8jQiTFxQjfQ1z8Ufw%3BFYT1jQIdvHJn-yl7s7Ql2NvQiTGDt4TMBp2u6g%3BFearjgIdBAhY-yn1Rq58KubTiTES5iHjYzKs0w%3BFU6PkgId8clG-ylLWmq7VFDTiTE3KAhsY2N1Aw&mra=dvme&mrsp=7&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,15,16,17,18&t=m&z=10

This takes me on some amazing roads, through four states, and several cool things along the way.

Horse races in Saratoga Springs, the 2nd longest zipline in North America in Hunter NY, and Cooperstown for the baseball hall of fame.

Every year I try and plan something cool on the bike trips I take with my friends. We did a Northern Ontario tour one year, the next was a long trip to do some amazing White Water rafting on the Ottawa river, Musky fishing another year, then this years trip.

Next year I want to plan something much longer.....Blue Ridge pkwy,Tail of the Dragon, and Cherahola skyway.

Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Champion effort Matt ! Your lucky to have some good mates to enjoy the trips with. Does your wife go with you ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
WOW! I've so far lost two auctions on ebay for motorcycle sissy bar bags. Didn't think I'd find myself saying this, but I'm super glad I did!

This looks like such a deal!!

I think I'm gonna snag this one. Still debating between this one, and the one you got though!

http://www.vikingbags.com/cordura-plain-large-motorcycle-sissy-bar-bag.htm

I'm probably on the same "once a year" boat. Any tips or hints to sway me one way or the other on these bags? I like that yours has the removable barrel bag, but it looks like you can compact this one down too if you want to. The thing pushing me this way is that I love to take along both my full face, and my half lid!

I also have a question for the fella that uses the space bags for packing. Seems like a great idea, but do you just beg to borrow a vacuum from people at the hotel when you're packing back up to go home?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I guess this is the proper place top post this......luggage is riding gear...sort of.

Every year some friends and I take a trip on our bikes. (I have a vulcan Custom, which I love!). I never seem to have enough storage capacity in my saddlebags. So, as father's day approached, I started hunting for some luggage that my kids could get for me. The prices range from cheap up to several hundred dollars. Since it is really only once a year that I would need it, that seemed way to steep.

I came across a site called Viking Bags. After lots and lots of research, I found some favourable and not-so-favourable reviews. I gambled and purchased some luggage anyways.

http://www.vikingbags.com/Economy-Line-Motorcycle-Luggage-7744-prd1.htm

I wasn't expecting much for a $44 bag, but since I only planned on using it once a year, I figured it would be sufficient. However, shipping to Canada (I am just outside of Toronto)was some ridiculous amount (I think it was $60!) so I had it shipped to a place just across the border in Niagara falls that accepts packages for $5 for people like me who are too cheap to pay $60 for shipping. (plus I was headed to Niagara any ways for my sons birthday!)

After I got the bag home, I had a closer inspection. I can not believe this only cost $44. It is great quality, has a separate smaller roll bag, rain cover included, it shipped in about 4 or 5 days, comes with all of the straps and stuff to mount it, plus it has straps to turn it into a backpack. I am very pleased. I had read a lot of stories about poor customer service from Viking Bags, delayed shipping, wrong stuff arriving etc. but based on my experience, I would recommend. :):good:

I haven't put it on my bike yet, but it looks pretty straight forward. My saddle bags used to be crammed full on our trips. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have an awesome trip planned for September!:D
I have used this same sissy bar bag for two years. Works great, holds a lot, and the price can't be beat! I have purchased two other products from Viking, and was very pleased with the quality, price and service! Shipped fast!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used this same sissy bar bag for two years. Works great, holds a lot, and the price can't be beat! I have purchased two other products from Viking, and was very pleased with the quality, price and service! Shipped fast!
Do you think the viking products are much more superior to other brands like tourmaster and cortech, http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-luggage.htm

I've heard mixed things about viking bags, anyone deal with their customer service?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts