1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I read some of the viewer comments, and I agree that it kind of looks like a sales pitch for J and S to me.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow that's a good video. I still think my Harbor Frieght Lift is OK for me. It does everything I want and I don't go around shaking it up & down like in the video.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My Sears lift is similar to the Harbor Freight lift and works for me. Notice they didn't mention the J & S lift price. Upper $300's. Guess if you can afford to spend $28 K on a bike that is a garage ornament than buy an overpriced lift.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also have one from Sears similar to Harbor Freight, it works okay but sometimes it scares the hell out of me like my bike is gonna fall off of it. The J&S lift seems like a nice lift but like reddyford said upper $300 is well overpriced. Why would you go spend that kinda cash on that kinda lift when you can buy a table lift for about the same price at Harbor Freight. I know someone that has one of these tables and it seems to be a pretty solid table, love to have one someday.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I also have one from Sears similar to Harbor Freight, it works okay but sometimes it scares the hell out of me like my bike is gonna fall off of it. The J&S lift seems like a nice lift but like reddyford said upper $300 is well overpriced. Why would you go spend that kinda cash on that kinda lift when you can buy a table lift for about the same price at Harbor Freight. I know someone that has one of these tables and it seems to be a pretty solid table, love to have one someday.
+1 one on the HF table lift. I bought one two years ago and could kick myself for not doing it earlier. Greatest thing for working on or cleaning/polishing the bike. No more bending over, lying on the round, and getting up and down for tools. Being a 3 bike house now, it gets lots of use and my back loves it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The J&S is obviously a superior and safer jack. However for that much money I would rather invest in a lift table, which (to me) is much more accessible for work and easier on the back due to it's greater height etc.

Being on a budget I've made due with my Harbor Freight (cost me $70 on sale) for 3-1/2 yrs now. As long as I use some sanity, it holds my 833lb Nomad with no issues to do most anything I've had to do with it.

Someday I want a lift table though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
+1 one on the HF table lift. I bought one two years ago and could kick myself for not doing it earlier. Greatest thing for working on or cleaning/polishing the bike. No more bending over, lying on the round, and getting up and down for tools. Being a 3 bike house now, it get lots of use and my back loves it.
Yeah Bear I could only imagine how much easier it would be to have one. lol! I for one change my own tires and thinking how much easier on my back it would be to bring the bike up to me instead of bending over. Unfortunately the one person I know that has one is my Uncle and he lives more up by you in Genoa IL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have the J&S

I started with a Sears lift years ago and thought it was a good choice until I bought a Goldwing. With a heavy bike it became apparent that "real" stability was an issue especially when changing tires or wrenching to higher torque values. Spent the $$, went with the J&S after much research, haven't looked back. Can do everything they show in their video (not that you'd want to) without worry. Handled the Goldwing with ease, use it on the Vulcan regularly, quality is top-notch. Rock-solid at any height. Heads-and-tails over the Sears unit. Would buy again tomorrow without hesitation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the harbor freight table lift and it works great for everything I use it for and I use it for more than bike cleaning and repair it works equally well to raise the lawn mower, snow blower, garden tiller, etc. I even have figured out I can load equipment (whatever it is) onto lift raise lift to height of truck bead and roll it into truck without lifting or ramping and reverse procedure to unload works slick even unloaded a heavy safe on dolly

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I can understand being on a budget and the Hf jack is a workable although slightly dangerous option, but when I was researching mc jacks a little over a year ago the j&s kept coming up as having the best quality, stability, and usability. The price was the only hold back. So I like others have mentioned started looking into tables and again the HF table was the low bid. But I thought if I wanted to do tires and wheels myself I would have to buy another jack to raise the bike off the table and then how was I going to stabilize it and the bike on the table. By the way I would still like to have a table. I started dropping hints in early November and low and behold on Christmas morning Santa (MBW) Had left me a J&S Jack. I can honestly say they perform even better than expected. In the year I have had it the only thing I haven't done is pull the tires off the bike while on the jack but I have no doubt I can without even strapping it down. Some things they didn't mention in the video are the stabilizers that can be screwed down to keep the jack from moving which come in handy if you are trying to break something loose or torquing something down with a lot of pressure. Also the oil change pan makes a normally messy job a peace of cake, the design allows easy access to the drain plugs and channels the oil out from under the bike and jack so it can be caught in a standard used oil container or a bucket of your choice.

The video does look like an ad for the J&S but during my research every comparison I found looked about the same and I looked at and read dozens.

The bottom line is will the HF jack do the job for a lot less money? The answer is yes but why not save up for a few more months an by the last jack you will ever buy.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I can understand being on a budget and the Hf jack is a workable although slightly dangerous option, but when I was researching mc jacks a little over a year ago the j&s kept coming up as having the best quality, stability, and usability. The price was the only hold back. So I like others have mentioned started looking into tables and again the HF table was the low bid. But I thought if I wanted to do tires and wheels myself I would have to buy another jack to raise the bike off the table and then how was I going to stabilize it and the bike on the table. By the way I would still like to have a table. I started dropping hints in early November and low and behold on Christmas morning Santa (MBW) Had left me a J&S Jack. I can honestly say they perform even better than expected. In the year I have had it the only thing I haven't done is pull the tires off the bike while on the jack but I have no doubt I can without even strapping it down. Some things they didn't mention in the video are the stabilizers that can be screwed down to keep the jack from moving which come in handy if you are trying to break something loose or torquing something down with a lot of pressure. Also the oil change pan makes a normally messy job a peace of cake, the design allows easy access to the drain plugs and channels the oil out from under the bike and jack so it can be caught in a standard used oil container or a bucket of your choice.

The video does look like an ad for the J&S but during my research every comparison I found looked about the same and I looked at and read dozens.

The bottom line is will the HF jack do the job for a lot less money? The answer is yes but why not save up for a few more months an by the last jack you will ever buy.
I have and use the HF table. Yes you do need another jack to lift the bike off the table to remove tires. I use a simple bottle jack or a screw jack (swiped from my F150) to lift put bikes. The table has a removable section that allows the tire to drop below the deck level for removal. It works. I use straps and have an over-center-pivot tire chock which about negates the need for straps, but, being the coward that I am...

One word of warning. I' have read, on here I think, that someone did not use the provided pin to lock the lift into place which puts all the load on the hyd. cylinder. Overnight his jack leaked down, there was a small tool box under one side of the lift table, and as the jack lost pressure, the table lowered and once it struck the tool box the table then shift to one side and tipped the bike over! Never ever trust a hyd jack to hold a load. Whether it be a table lift, floor jack or bottle jack. Always use jack stands or locking pins to secure a lifted load.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you guys talking about two different things here?A jack and a table are two different things.We have both,a craftsman jack and a HF table.The jack will lift two of the bikes,sportster and the vulcan 1500 just fine.I did take a little time and cut a couple pieces of wood out so that the jack would lift on the frame rails.The R6 has the belly fairing on it and the jack would work if I drop that but if i have to work on that at height,like tires and brakes.I usually hang it from the ceiling.The table lift works fine for everything

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are you guys talking about two different things here?A jack and a table are two different things.We have both,a craftsman jack and a HF table.The jack will lift two of the bikes,sportster and the vulcan 1500 just fine.I did take a little time and cut a couple pieces of wood out so that the jack would lift on the frame rails.The R6 has the belly fairing on it and the jack would work if I drop that but if i have to work on that at height,like tires and brakes.I usually hang it from the ceiling.The table lift works fine for everything
They are def talking about two different things, intentionally. I happen to race two R6's, so I have two of the table lifts, and yes the table lift works for everything for sportbikes, including changing the tires. But that's because like you, I can just throw a front end stand under the front forks while still on the table. I also own a Vaq. and so that is not an option. Good luck changing your front tire on a heavy cruiser on the table lift unless your fabbing something up while on the table. These guys need a conventional lift for certain jobs, and in my opinion they should def save the cash and get one that works right and will last. Hey it's your 10,15, 20,000 bucks swaying in the breeze...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kendon Lift (table)

I notice that a number of guys seem to prefer the TABLE over the traditional JACK (as in the J&S). I used a Kendon Stand-Up Lift (Table) for a few years and while I have no complaint with the quality or design of the unit, I found that, practically speaking, if I had to choose only one I would choose the jack. Even with a drop-down rear deck, the table still required the use of a jack or jack stand to do tire changes AND the additional steps of using tie downs for stability. Also, I can have my bike in-the-air and working on it using the J&S (and NO tie downs) in less time than it took to position and mount the bike on the Kendon. Granted, having the bike at eye level for most maintenance and cleaning was a definite advantage. But stability on the table was an issue, garage storage space is another factor, and lifting the bike to the highest level on the J&S works well for me. Most important to me - I can wrench as hard as I want, wherever I want, using the J&S. Cannot be said for the lesser jacks I've owned and I would not do the same on the Kendon. If I had a shop-quality (wide) table and the space to use it, that may have changed things for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I notice that a number of guys seem to prefer the TABLE over the traditional JACK (as in the J&S). I used a Kendon Stand-Up Lift (Table) for a few years and while I have no complaint with the quality or design of the unit, I found that, practically speaking, if I had to choose only one I would choose the jack.
I agree. I happen to have both, but like I said above, I have sportbikes and a Vaq. I've never bothered to try and secure the Vaq on the table. It's a HF table and honestly it would be more work to get that heavy bike situated and secure. The HF is awesome for sportbikes and I'm sure people use 'em all the time for heavy bikes, but I personally just feel better rolling the jack under the Vaq. Seems more secure. Maybe the expensive table lifts would be a diff story. They are a lot more stable. IMO the HF tables are more suited for sportbikes.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I'm not sure when I bought my harbor freight lift. 3 years ago?

Go to Barn & Nobel (or any bookstore) and look thru the motorcycle magazines. Harbor Fright will have a full page coupon advertisement thingy in almost every magazine. I don't know if they still do, but they use to always have a 50% off any single item coupon.

I think I paid a total of $59 dollars for mine..and that included a 2 year "in-store" warranty.

I watched that video, and it's very misleading. Very anti Harbor Freight. (which makes sense, if it WAS an advertisement. You wouldn't want to say good things about something that was about 1/4 the price (using coupon)).

Anyways, I've never had an issue with the HB lift. I love it.

I've never had the bike rock back-n-forth like they showed in the video. However, I do always (ALWAYS) strap down the bike.

In the video, they don't appear to have either stabilizers deployed. But the way it shook was still weird looking.

I have a vulcan 2000. Big heavy bike. It only takes me a couple of minutes to lift the bike up and strap it down.

Now, i will admit, that normally I only raise the bike to the first "locking position". This brings the frame about 10 inches off the ground and the back wheel about 5 inches off the ground (the suspension relaxes and drops the wheel some as you take weight off it).

The first locking position has the V2K's front wheel just slightly touching the ground. I actually prefer that. Not only does it lend a bit of stability, but when the front wheel is off the ground, the wheel/bars lean all the way to the right (right side of handle bars is heavier, pulling everything "down" that way).

Don't get me wrong, the lift can handle both wheels up.

As far as strength, I've had the bike up in the air, engine running, WHILE my fat butt is sitting ON the bike. And I never once felt worried. (Lift is manually locked of course).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts