Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this motorcycle jack pictured below.
The pads on the jack are barely long enough to get across the frame and I can see that the the engine hangs below the frame rails. This is not ideal.
I have some round tubing laying around and I have decided to fabricate a cradle to support the frame rails.

Have any of you done this?
Any pictures of the finished product?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I never heard of that. That is clever. Does it fit the 900 frame too or just the bigger bike?

Well, after dinner, I knocked one out.
I split a piece of tubing lengthwise and rounded all of the edges. (Less likely to scratch up the frame.)
I fitted the tubing to the frame and notched it to clear obstructions where needed.
I tack welded it up and checked the fitment. It is a good fit on the frame and I expect it to be rock solid. As a side note, the lower frame rails are not parallel. They are wider at the back by about half an inch. (at the locations I was measuring.)
Then I called it a night.

The jack comes with risers which are located with some pins. I like that feature so I will copy it with my adapter.

Tomorrow (or later in the week), I will:
1. finish welding it up.
2. make a few pins for my jig to make it work the same way as the risers for the jack.
3. make a couple of clamps with the left over tubing to clamp the frame into it.
4. paint it or maybe spray the contact surface with some of that rubberized coating in a can.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi TexasZ,
Thanks for that. It was a case of using what I had laying around. If I had different materials, I might have done it a little differently. The larger rectangular tubing is a bit of overkill. Flat bar would have been fine, and I would have preferred it, if I had any.

The only thing I am not sure of right now is where exactly the balance point is on the bike. I would like to get it as close as possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nicely done West Coast!

Would love to see it under the bike when you have some time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I got the bike up on it tonight.
It is rock solid.
Sure, If I was making a second one, I might change a few things but this will work great. I used what I had on hand.

Now I just have to get a bottle of gas to weld it properly at the weekend. I am completely out. It is always something.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts