Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be tackling the Euro Gear change in the coming months (on order now) and given that I enjoy doing my own work, I'm wonding if anyone has had luck with building their own motorcyle lift.

It obviously needs to handle the 800+ lbs and and I'm no welder (although I'd love to learn) so I would like something rather straight forward.

I found this one, but I'm still not sure.

Any suggestions or ideas folks? :D

Many thanks all. Love the site.

Cheers,
Mark

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'm going to be tackling the Euro Gear change in the coming months (on order now) and given that I enjoy doing my own work, I'm wonding if anyone has had luck with building their own motorcyle lift.
Any suggestions or ideas folks? :D
hd,, most us grunts, we work on the dirt floor. some us better off, even have cement to rest on. but no lift is required for Egear work. we all do it on the side stand as all work is rite side.

tho many of us include in arsenal of weapons,, er I mean tools, a standard lift like this, obtainable from most tool stores for under 100 usd. this is not required and actually would get in the way of rite side work.. unless you load it from the left side? think about it. ponchout

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
hd,, most us grunts, we work on the dirt floor. some us better off, even have cement to rest on. but no lift is required for Egear work. we all do it on the side stand as all work is rite side.

tho many of us include in arsenal of weapons,, er I mean tools, a standard lift like this, obtainable from most tool stores for under 100 usd. this is not required and actually would get in the way of rite side work.. unless you load it from the left side? think about it. ponchout
Yep but they aren't quite wide enough to straddle the chassis eh Ponch. I had one by one inch box section added to the top that was wide enough to straddle the chassis easily and with buffer stops on the jack side so it didn't slide too far thru. All works a treat.

Ando

·
Registered
445 Posts
HD,

I ride and 800 Classic so I can't say I for sure this will work for you, but I've read it will handle a Road King. When I needed a lift and my Harbor freight lift died on me I found this $20 lift online and have used it since. The one thing I would suggest is going with two 2 x 10 cut to the length you desire. The price of materials has increase since this was first posted, but I have used it for two years worth of oil changes and chain maintenance and have not had any problems. The one thing I would recommend is securing an old piece of rug on the side that will go under the frame.

Ron

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That is the same jack (Ponch's pic) I have and I have had my V2K on it with no mods. No room for error but it can be done if you take your time and make sure you are lined up good. I also use it on a rubber mat I got from Tractor Supply for horse stalls that is setting on the gravel floor of my car port. Quality work don't have to be done in a spotless tile floor garage.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Yep but they aren't quite wide enough to straddle the chassis eh Ponch. I had one by one inch box section added to the top that was wide enough to straddle the chassis easily and with buffer stops on the jack side so it didn't slide too far thru. All works a treat. Ando
jus Bear'ly. it does fitts.. but extensions and bumper stoppers are good ideas..
watt this fella mr. OP is looking for something muey stable to get the work up at eye level so as not to bend over so much.. itsa a sign of age.. or is it wisdom? get those mixed up, they dont always coincide.

still the biggest issue is breaking loose that front left thread knutt. if you dont have air impact driver and use a 3ft cheater bar, you will want this on the ground not up in the air where it WILL end up on the ground.sideways. poncho

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
itsa a sign of age.. or is it wisdom? get those mixed up
Agreed Poncho...I'm a young 38 but I'm not foolish. ;) I've had a Vulcan 800, 1500 Nomad, GSX 750 and a GSX-R 750 before my V2K...I've had enough crawling in the dirt :)

As for your suggestion Ponch, I had one of those jacks for years, and although wasn't too bad, I still found trying to get around it underneath too cumbersome.

Thanks all for the responses, I'll update if when I decide anything.

Cheers,
HiD

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with Poncho, that jack is enough. I also use some times one or two scissor jacks (for example just to level the bike and change the oil) when I don't need to move the bike around the garage. And when I need to work at level I just sit on the floor, in my own experience most of the work on a motorcycle can't be done on a lift (replace tires, remove forks, remove tank, etc) and lift it to eye level for an oil change seems excessive for my budget.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just did my Euro gears 3 weeks ago. Everything was done with it on the side stand and me sittin' on a igloo cooler. 7HP/80gal compressor and 1/2" impact made short work of the output shaft nuts.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ok, I need to invent this.. maybe post in another section?

so what we need here is a lift that comprises assorment of soft ties and harness perhaps spreader bars where needed, that can be attached to either frame or other hard points and then lift the bike off the floor by some ceiling mounted hoist..
you could lift it just enough for the wheels to clear the deck and do any wheel work, suspension, engine work. you could lift it for cleaning underside and inspection and adjustments. belts, wheels, alignments..
perhaps if the ceiling hoist was on a track system, lift, drag and stow your bike over by the wall or in the corner out of the way. when you wanted to ride, drag it out, spin it around facing out and lower it.

in our overkill world, I bet this concept mite get traction with those that already have everything.. Jay Leno could use a dozen. but then he has a fistful of grunts to do all this... so maybe he dont need it.. but you do! it cant cost much except for all that ceiling track and beefing up the attic joist. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Just did my Euro gears 3 weeks ago. Everything was done with it on the side stand and me sittin' on a igloo cooler. 7HP/80gal compressor and 1/2" impact made short work of the output shaft nuts.
so did we ever get a ride report?.. over v2k section? I will go look

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nope. I figured enough has been said on the subject. I have nothing new to offer. Gona put some miles on her next weekend, going to do a Kerrville ride with some of the guys from the office 24th-26th.

·
Registered
220 Posts
FYI: Amazon.com - p/n: OTC-1545 - 1500 lbs capacity - 17 1/2" pads, with wheels. Around $150.00 and free shipping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We're renting the place we're in now, but I've already warned the wife that some sort of psycho chain hoist contraption will be part of the garage on our next purchased home...lol

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been eyeballing parts in an old National Guard maintenance building for four years, waiting on the word from their command to go gut the crane for controls and electrics...all I would need is winch motors and steel then.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
I think Poncho has a law suit in order, someone stole his idea.
I kept waiting for him to actually lift something. Video was kind of lame.

Only cool part was when he used his phone to operate it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts