Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I expecting too much for my waterproof boots to be waterproof? I have Alpinestars waterproof touring boots, not cheap. Yet my toes are quite wet after riding in the rain. The water is not coming in the top because my heel, ankle leg are dry, just my toes and half way to my heel are very soaked. The boots don't appear to have bad seams, thus the question; is leather porous? Should I use somekind of waterproofing on the boots, does it work? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The boots don't appear to have bad seams, thus the question; is leather porous? Should I use somekind of waterproofing on the boots, does it work? Any advice would be appreciated.
jj,, mink oil. in a can. are yor boots leather? this stuff gets in between the leather cells and stiched seams and repells water like water off a minks back. I put it on all my leather products. it works and also conditions them.. poncho

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My Nitro V riding boots were advertised as being waterproof, but just to be certain I sprayed them with silicone waterproofing spray before wearing them. So far no leaks, but I avoid riding in heavy rain.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Here is something on this topic that I posted on another forum:

I used to regularly ride with my normal tactical boots . . . but before doing my recent 8,200 miler, I decided it was time to give motorcycle boots a try . . . so I went to my local Cyclegear and tried on some Bilt Boots . . . I know Bilt doesn't have the best reputation for quality . . . and I was a little skeptical at first, but I bought them on sale . . . with a coupon . . . so I gave them a try.

They were a little tight on my EEEE's but I wore them for two days before riding with them to stretch and break them in . . . Before going on my long ride I did a couple of day rides . . . and I liked them. My only complaint is that the Velcro for the front flap doesn't come around far enough to fully grab once the 'ol EEEE's are in there . . . But a 4" piece of velcro strapping fixes that . . .

They are advertised as waterproof . . . and again I was skeptical about that . . . But on my ride, I rode through some horrendous rains . . . and was in full rain gear for at least 4 days and over 2,000 miles . . . my feet were always bone dry . . . I just wore them on Saturday for a rainy 200 miler for a teddy bear run . . .again bone dry . . .

They grip the road very well and are quite comfy for a walk about . . . During my 19 day ride, they were the only footwear I wore for the entire time . . . again no complaints . . . They also have the bonus of motorcycle specific protections . . .

So I am sold on motorcycle specific boots. These have over 9,000 miles under them - for the money they can't be beat!

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Shadow...torcycle-Boots

Like Ponch, I use Mink Oil on anything leather and put it on these and will treat them with it once or twice a year . . . In addition to the regular Mink Oil treatments, before going on a week plus ride where the weather is uncertain, I lay all my gear out on the deck and spray it with Camp Dry spray . . .

All things considered though, have you contacted AlpineStars about this? from your summation, it sounds like the sole/boot seal isn't up to par . . .

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
+1 on the mink oil. When I get new boots I get a couple of cans and soak them down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice everyone. Looks as if leather is porous and I must do something about that. Thus I aggressively treated the uppers with Skidmores leather conditioner and bee wax waterproofing. I just assumed that because the tag on the boots says "waterproof" that it will always be that way - wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts