Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked or talked about before, But I was wondering if anyone has ever done an engine swap on a VN900? If so, which engine? How difficult? I think the VN1700 with the 6 speed box would be awsome in an VN900

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Dude that would be awesome. You are ambitious. I have never done it but have done some unorthodox transplants.

1. It would be cheaper especially in the parts department if you find a wrecked 1700. Especially all those electronics and wiring harnass.

2. Weight. you will have to know the weight difference between the engines and compensate in the suspension department.

3. Size. Make sure the thing will fit. Especially height, length and width. Measure everything.

4. Planning. Lay everything out and know where you will put all the parts off the 1700

5. Fabricating. To me this is the challenging part. You will need a welder, a good mig and torch, to fabricate some kind of engine cradle. Make sure the front pulley is aligned properly with the rear pulley. You will have to come up with some kind of exhaust. I have never done a job like this where I didn't come up against the unexpected and had to make something else or farm it out to a machine shop.

In the end it won't come cheap, but it will be your bike and definately unique.
Leave the 900 airbox on and embarrass them all.

Take lots of pics.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant see it being that involed like you say it might be. Most of these bikes chassis are usually built on the same principal design for the same model. The way I figure, a VN is a VN, just bigger suspenison parts like you said to accomadate the heavier engine. But how much more could it weigh? Maybe 50lbs? I think if I were able to get measurments of a VN1700 Mill, and take the vn900 Measurments, it mat shoehorn in. It may even use the same mounting locations, who knows. Anything is possiable, I think that would be a badazz ride. All the Power you need in a mid size bike that is compact and easy to manuvere and ride, and be able to blast down the turnpike at 80-90 MPH all day for touring trips. Now that wold be the best of all worlds, how come they cant make a bike like this to begin with? It seems you sacrifice comfort for style, style for power, and power for price. Hey Kawasaki, are you guys listening?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
The frames could be identical. I don't know. That is what you would have to research. The part # for the 1700 frame is 32160-0366-18R, but I can't seem to find the # for the 900. The wiring harnass could be the same too. Ditto.

The 1700 Nomad weighs in at 822 lbs. The 900Lt is around 600. If they are the same, as you say, then there is an engine difference of much more than 50lbs. There is not enough difference in the weight of the suspension components to make that much difference.

Is the radiator the same, the hoses, pulleys, wheels, gas tank?

All I am saying you have to plan and know what you are getting yourself into before you do it. It's a lot of work.

Also, if what you say is true that the chasis' are all the same. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy a 1700 and strip the thing down?

I have a Buell XB12 which weighs 450 and dynos at around a hundred hp, hopefully more soon. It will thump most light to light, except the bigger cc Jap Sport bikes and I haven't met anything that will leave it in the corners. Why? Weight.

There was an engineer on another bike site that explained this, for every 12 pounds of weight you can shed off your sled you gain 1hp. Actual rear wheel on pavement running. For every 12 lbs you add you lose 1hp.

The point is if you start adding too much weight you start losing that hp advantage you are looking for.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It'd be neat... I wonder when they'll offer cams or a stroker kit for the 900.

I kinda doubt that'll ever come, but it'd be fun!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The frames could be identical. I don't know. That is what you would have to research. The part # for the 1700 frame is 32160-0366-18R, but I can't seem to find the # for the 900. The wiring harnass could be the same too. Ditto.

The 1700 Nomad weighs in at 822 lbs. The 900Lt is around 600. If they are the same, as you say, then there is an engine difference of much more than 50lbs. There is not enough difference in the weight of the suspension components to make that much difference.

Is the radiator the same, the hoses, pulleys, wheels, gas tank?

All I am saying you have to plan and know what you are getting yourself into before you do it. It's a lot of work.

Also, if what you say is true that the chasis' are all the same. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy a 1700 and strip the thing down?

I have a Buell XB12 which weighs 450 and dynos at around a hundred hp, hopefully more soon. It will thump most light to light, except the bigger cc Jap Sport bikes and I haven't met anything that will leave it in the corners. Why? Weight.

There was an engineer on another bike site that explained this, for every 12 pounds of weight you can shed off your sled you gain 1hp. Actual rear wheel on pavement running. For every 12 lbs you add you lose 1hp.

The point is if you start adding too much weight you start losing that hp advantage you are looking for.
I am not saying that the frames and/or chassis are all the same, but may be very similar. They may have the same angles and such, but may be beefer. I really dont know. But I LOVE the look of my VN900 SE, but I hate the power. Just needs more grunt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, I know all about N2O. I want constant power when I want it, not drag racing power, and I dont want to have to fill a bottle, or hit a button When I see the exit of a Long sweeping turn . Just looking for Nice Seemless power that rolls on and makes it effortless to move you and your passange and luggage down the road at 1/4 throttle. I found a great deal on a Vulcan 2000 at my locak dealer, its a 07 leftover with 0 miles(or close to it) for $8199. Thinking of upgrading

·
Registered
245 Posts
LOL, I know all about N2O. I want constant power when I want it, not drag racing power, and I dont want to have to fill a bottle, or hit a button When I see the exit of a Long sweeping turn . Just looking for Nice Seemless power that rolls on and makes it effortless to move you and your passange and luggage down the road at 1/4 throttle. I found a great deal on a Vulcan 2000 at my locak dealer, its a 07 leftover with 0 miles(or close to it) for $8199. Thinking of upgrading
That's quite a good deal coming from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 1700 engine into a 900 frame would be quite the feat.

The 1700 is a different frame entirely. Maybe the mounts could be in the same place, but I doubt it. I'm more than sure the 1700 has a different bottom end than 900.

I doubt it would fit aswell, The 1700 engine is taller, and there isn't exactly a huge amount of room on top of the 900 engine left.

Is the frame able to handle the increase in torque, power, and weight?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 1700 engine into a 900 frame would be quite the feat.

The 1700 is a different frame entirely. Maybe the mounts could be in the same place, but I doubt it. I'm more than sure the 1700 has a different bottom end than 900.

I doubt it would fit aswell, The 1700 engine is taller, and there isn't exactly a huge amount of room on top of the 900 engine left.

Is the frame able to handle the increase in torque, power, and weight?
Who knows until they try right? But it would be awsome

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
For less money and time you could turbo the 900 and have tractable power that would kill any 1700 built. When operated as a cruiser and not a killer the fuel mileage would be awesome as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can't find it, but I remember seeing someone post a picture on this forum a couple months back of a 900 with a Turbo Charger bolted on. It sat sort of beside the front jug and looked like a Frankenstein option. I think whoever did it actually used a turbo off a car with no chrome or nothing. Bet it made power though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts