Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, got a oil qyestion, lol, I run Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 with a Purolator Pure One PL 14610 filter in my 05 2000 and it seems to love it. My question is since I change my oil every 2500 miles can I use the Rotella 15w-40 dino oil and can I go from synthetic back to dino? Hopefully this won't create another oil blog.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VN2053rider, that website is helpful. The new rotella ( Dino and Synthetic ) both carry the JASO MA certification on the bottle now. I buy it from the local Wally World for a really good price.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey folks, got a oil qyestion, lol, I run Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 with a Purolator Pure One PL 14610 filter in my 05 2000 and it seems to love it. My question is since I change my oil every 2500 miles can I use the Rotella 15w-40 dino oil and can I go from synthetic back to dino? Hopefully this won't create another oil blog.
If you change your oil every 2500, you're wasting your money using synthetic.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dadinator, what's a good OCI running synthetic? Should I go 4-5 thousand? I'm new to synthetic in MC's.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
You shouldn't ask questions like that. It's almost as bad as asking blonde or brunette.
Some people say stay with 3000 mile interval and in the same thread others will say I run my oil 20,000 miles.

I agree that if you're using synthetic you can go longer than 2500 miles. Otherwise you're wasting lots of money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good point coolpig59, I'll just stick with the synthetic and stretch out the OCI's a bit to get my money's worth out of the oil.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Think about it....with plain old dino oil the Kawasaki change interval right from the manual is 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Surely if dino oil is OK for that long synthetic sure ought to be. I ride 5,000mi/yr, give or take, on the Vulcan. A yearly oil change before I put it away for the winter, which I did yesterday, falls within the recommended interval.

The only ones telling you you need to change oil frequently are people from "way back" when the recommended change intervals were short, and those selling you oil and filters. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Think about it....with plain old dino oil the Kawasaki change interval right from the manual is 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Surely if dino oil is OK for that long synthetic sure ought to be. I ride 5,000mi/yr, give or take, on the Vulcan. A yearly oil change before I put it away for the winter, which I did yesterday, falls within the recommended interval.

The only ones telling you you need to change oil frequently are people from "way back" when the recommended change intervals were short, and those selling you oil and filters. :)
What he said. ^^

CP - Brunette. LOL!!
Though, I like 'em all.

I currently am using Rotella Dino (JASO MA).

My Change interval isn't regular. I change it at the end of the season so the dirty stuff doesn't sit there all winter and I change at approximately 5K during the riding season. So it varies. I rode about 7.5K last year and about 9K this year. Hopefully break 10K next season. :D

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
What he said. ^^

CP - Brunette. LOL!!
Though, I like 'em all.

I currently am using Rotella Dino (JASO MA).

My Change interval isn't regular. I change it at the end of the season so the dirty stuff doesn't sit there all winter and I change at approximately 5K during the riding season. So it varies. I rode about 7.5K last year and about 9K this year. Hopefully break 10K next season. :D

Good grief, are all you people working overtime or something? I'm surprised your bikes aren't rusted down to nothing by now. 5K miles in one YEAR???? What the heck are y'all doing that keeps you off your bikes?

I got my VN2000 at the first of February and now it's the first of November, let's see that makes it about nine months, right? My speedo reads 20,747 as of last night when I parked her in the garage. I bought her new so there were no previous miles on it.

I've been changing my oil at approx. 3K miles just to keep my conscience satisfied. Since I started running full synthetic oil I'm gonna let it go the recommended 7.5K as per the manufacturers spec's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts