Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Motoman engine break in he says that this has to be done within 20 miles of getting new bike. My question is I have purchased a demo bike with 70 kms. on it. Does this mean that it is too late to seat the rings by Motoman method. When I had my roadking I did 10 runs of 30 mph to 60 mph allowing the engine to decellerate back to 30mph and then again to 60mph in third gear. This method was done at 200 kms and everthing was fine. Any input and opinions from forum members would be appreciated. On my other two Nomads before the RK I broke in as per factory specs and never had any problems either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You are still good.

I built a Chevy 383 TPI motor for a customer several years ago, after a few weeks the customer brought it back to me saying it was using a quart of oil a week. The fuel injection was running so rich (big cam) that the rings hadn't seated. The engine machine shop told me to get it HOT 2-3 times and that should do it. I unplugged the fans and let the car idle 'til it got to about 250* then shut it off and let it cool. Did this 3 times and it worked, no more oil consumption. Point is, after driving this car for several hundred miles, I was still able to get the rings to seat.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You are too late for the Motoman procedure, so you are doomed to do what 99.9% of the internal combustion engines out there receive, successfully... follow manufacturers recommendations or just drive without giving it a second thought.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the different point of views. I guess I will have to think about this one a while. Haven't picked up the bike yet. Still cold here in Winterpeg.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't over think it.....just ride and enjoy it. Just my opinion :cool:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I performed a modified Motoman breakin on my bikes. I don't drag race so I didn't need to do his specific method.

I warmed the bike up until the fan came on.
I did 1st gear accelerations and decelerations without using the brake.
I kept the RPMs to the manufacturer specified RPMs
I repeated this for several miles on a side street and worked through the gears never touching the brakes.
Then at about 20 to 50 miles I dump the oil and put in fresh oil and follow the manufacturer recommendations but make sure I warm the bike up fully, don't do any rides shorter than 20 miles, etc.

43000 miles and no oil consumption on the Voyager. over 20,000 miles on most of my other bikes and no oil usage. The most miles I have put on a bike before getting bored with it is 50,000 miles so I don't know what happens at 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Or you can ride it like you stole it off the showroom floor. That seems to work also......

I always just ride like I always do when I get a new scoot. Never had an engine/transmission issue in over 50 + motorcycles..... except replacing worn clutch paks on a couple. Which is normal wear and tear when you put between 150k and 300k on a motorcycle pulling trailers of various sizes. Back in the 60's we made our trailer hitches for our home made trailers that we pulled behind the BMW's that my dad sold out of old drive shafts from BMW's. The old open drive shaft models prior to 63-65 somewhere around there. Making a swivel hitch. A butt ugly hitch home made frame on the BMW but it worked. Back then the only company that made ANY after market stuff for the Beemers was Butler and Smith that made very stinky fiberglass fairings and bug saddle bags, and a banana seat as the Beemers came with a rubber solo saddle. Someone made 4 inch pull back no rise handlebar riser but I cant remember who it was. I would give anything to have one of my 69 R60's again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
bought mine brand new 2 weeks ago.

Let the motor get warm then banged through the gears getting on the interstate, think i ran it up to 4500 RPMs or so with 6 miles on it.

It wasnt until a few days later i read that Kawasaki recommended keeping it under 2500 RPM.

Bike comes with a 36 month warranty, ride it like you would normally.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will ride it the way I normally do. I don't baby it. In Canada we only get a 2 year factory warranty. I guess it must be only in the US for the 3 year factory warranty. Good for you guys.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct about the voyageur warranty and this includes designated vacqueros. My nomad however is only 2 years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used the motoman method on my 09 Classic which I purchased new in 2011. 24,000 miles later no problems, no oil consumption, runs strong.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So, those of you that did the full motorman break in, did you trailer the bike home? Or start the break in at the dealership?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So, those of you that did the full motorman break in, did you trailer the bike home? Or start the break in at the dealership?
As soon as I drove off from the dealership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts