Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the bike is coming up to three years old and the MOT is due.
Time for a new bike I hear you cry. Yes, but finances are a bit tight at the moment so.....
I booked it in with the local bike dealer and popped it down this morning. At one o'clock I get the call.
'It's failed'
"What do you mean, it's failed" "What, when, how, why...!!"
"Indicators don't work properly"

"Yes they do. It's fitted with a KISAN SIGNALMINDERr"
"Well maybe so but it's failed"

I shot down to the dealers and, to summarise:

001 Centre Front Direction Indicators flashing less than 60 times a minute (1.5.1c)
002 Centre Front (indicators work flash when stop lamp is used) Direction Indicator affected by the operation of another lamp (1.5.1c)
003 Centre Front (only flashes 9 times then turns off) Direction indicators flashing less than 60 times a minute (1.5.1c)

The rule (as I understand it) says

1.5 Direction Indicators
Reason for rejection
1.c '..not working or not flashing at 60 to 120 flashes per minute, or which is affected by the operation of another lamp.'

001 The Tester felt that because the indicators canceled after 9 flashes this contravened the requirement of '60 flashes a minute'
002 The Tester felt that because the indicators came on when the Brake Light came on this came under 'affected by the operation of another lamp'
003 The Tester wasn't too sure how this differed from 001 but this, again, contravened the requirement of '60 flashes a minute'

It think this guy has got his knickers in a twist over the difference between the Flash Rate and the actual number of Flashes.

I also think that the reference to 'affected' should read 'adversely affected'. I don't believe the Indicators coming on with the Brake Light comes under 'adversely affected'. I believe the more lights coming on the better when braking!

Anyway, I store the original Flasher Unit on the bike, so they gave me the chance to pop it back on and they then passed it.

The moral of this story is beware! If you fit a KISAN SIGNALMINDER or any other Self-Cancelling device AND my local Tester moves into your area, swop it back before you take it for an MOT

HoraceG

1 - 1 of 1 Posts