Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been reading about the ignition wire problem, and today found this on my brand new Voyager Custom with 2500 miles.

Another area to tape up.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I am so sipped at this. £14,000 this cost me

Doesn't anyone build a bike you can rely on these days? Now I have to pull the tank off to see if I have the ignition wire problem too.

Think I might just go to an old Police Honda for £2000 and have no worries about people sitting on it whilst its parked up, or otherwise fiddling, or keeping it clean and shiny. Suffer no constant belt whine.

Spray it with FS365 spray, never clean it, job done.

Sold my Harley because it was a POS.

AARRGGGGHHHHHHHH!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yep. Found it. Same thing. Chafing not as far along, but evident. Even though the harness is rubbing on plastic, it is still a sharp enough edge to eventually chafe away the protection. Just taped the hell out of it. Good Lord!
Maybe this thread should be made a "sticky" just below the one for the ignition post wiring harness.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2014 update

okay I've popped the strip off the tank, and the wiring on mine is shielded along the entire run from the ignition switch to the plug, and runs no where near the tank or frame, so it would appear that on the 2014 model at least that Kawasaki have addressed this issue.

Photo to follow if I can get the camera in there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is a wire bundle on both sides of my 2012 Voyager-NO Chaffing at all at 22000K.Also My Ignition wiring under the tank where it rubs was corrected by Kawi from the factory,so I have no issues there either.Been lucky so far.
If your dealer ty raps your wiring by the steering head it will likely rub through and cause issues.Mine is free to roam.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Just checked mine. Thanks for the heads up. No wear at all on my 2012 Voyager with over 14,000 miles. Belt wine???? Sounds like it is set to tight. Mine did that from the factory but the dealer adjusted it and never heard it again.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rang my dealer today to book second service, they were about to contact me.
It would appear that Kawasaki are 'quite interested' in this. They need the bike in to see exactly what the problem is, and what caused it, which will take all of 30 seconds. That part of the loom goes from the right handle bar switch cluster to a plug behind the headlamp where it connects to the main loom.

The problem is not the wire sleeving, but rather the sharp metal bracket it rubs on. You can put all the extra sleeving you want on that wire, but with the sharp edge of the bracket still there, it will eventually rub through, it may take 20,000miles instead of 2,000, but it will eventually happen.

It may end up being a recall.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The right side or left side handlebar wire loom on mine does not even come close to the fairing mount bar like Keef.

Both handlebar looms go into my fairing at on the outside edge of the opening. The only thing touching the mount are my throttle cables rubbing along the top of it. Both sides of the handlebar wire looms move with the handlebar.

It should be an easy fix to make it stop rubbing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts