Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test rode a 2012 voyager yesterday, and the only problem I had with it was the seating area. Im 6' 3" with 36" inseam and long arms. The bike had a drivers back rest but I couldn't get back far enough for real comfort. And the back rest was into my wife had her wedged between both back rest (at least she couldn't fall out) and she's only 5'4" and 125 lbs. So my questions are can you move the trunk back any and will a Russell daylong move me back any (up some also wouldn't be a problem either). The existing seat was real comfy but if a custom daylong would get me further back. I'm really wanting a full dresser, and the voyager is on the top of my list, 2nd is a vic xct, or put more money into the nomad to make It as close Possible.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I test rode a 2012 voyager yesterday, and the only problem I had with it was the seating area. Im 6' 3" with 36" inseam and long arms. The bike had a drivers back rest but I couldn't get back far enough for real comfort. And the back rest was into my wife had her wedged between both back rest (at least she couldn't fall out) and she's only 5'4" and 125 lbs. So my questions are can you move the trunk back any and will a Russell daylong move me back any (up some also wouldn't be a problem either). The existing seat was real comfy but if a custom daylong would get me further back. I'm really wanting a full dresser, and the voyager is on the top of my list, 2nd is a vic xct, or put more money into the nomad to make It as close Possible.
Try the Mustangs, Some riders reckon that they sit further back, then the stock

·
Registered
894 Posts
My RDL has me up more and maybe slightly forward . . . It could be the back rest on the RDL that pushed me a little forward. No one makes a truck relocation kit . . . yet (come on Marvella's, Chuckster, Thunder Manufacturing!) . . . but we can hope. I believe RDL can work with you to move you back - however - until a trunk relocation kit comes out, you are dealing with fixed real estate - you move back, wife gets less room.

I believe that Corbins generally move you back and down a little, but my experience is that they are too hard on my back . . . Others love them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have mustang on my nomad and its better than the stock but not as comfy as I would like. The stock seat on the Voyager is a lot better than my mustang. Another guy on the VBA site said he moved his trunk back 3" by making adapters out of steel tubing. I guess Ill contact RDL and see what they can tell me about moving me back. Just hoping someone else had the same issue and was able to solve the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I contacted RDL and they told me that they could get me back about 1 1/2" and their standard suspension would raise me 1 1/2" but could do more if I wanted. So now I need to go look at the Voyager again. Will also recheck the Vic XCT again also. I really want a more complete touring bike. So if i can't make these fit then I just put more $ into the 1600 to get it as close as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I took the vibration dampeners out of the passenger back rest, (three of them) made new mounting brackets with short pieces of flat iron, peeled off the bottom pieces of foam on the back side of the back rest, and put it back on. It put the backrest back almost 3 inches, it is now snug against the trunk and the wife says it has much less vibration. If you look you can see a gap between your passenger backrest and the trunk and if you push on it, it goes back a little.

Moving the trunk back would be a chore unless you can live without all that chrome cover and trim.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My buddy is 6'4" and had a Voyager he put 40,000 miles on in 2 1/2 yrs. He since upgraded to a Victory Cross Country Tour and has more leg room.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would look at a different bike like the Goldwing, BMW, Victory, or the 1600 Nomad.

You can't move the trunk without killing the looks of the bike because of the plastic chrome.

The Victory is probably the most roomy of the group.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
If you want tons of room for you and the passenger... go ride a Venture... Most comfortable scoot we ever owned and most room... I am 6'2" LONG legs... needs to be one with the pillow top seats... not the smooth seats...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would look at a different bike like the Goldwing, BMW, Victory, or the 1600 Nomad.

You can't move the trunk without killing the looks of the bike because of the plastic chrome.

The Victory is probably the most roomy of the group.
GW and BMW not my style, Vic is on my short list and I have a 1600 nomad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want tons of room for you and the passenger... go ride a Venture... Most comfortable scoot we ever owned and most room... I am 6'2" LONG legs... needs to be one with the pillow top seats... not the smooth seats...
So why don't you still ride one? I have looked at them and sat on a couple haven't rid one yet. Like the looks not sure about going back to carbs, and a cassette player and they aren't a V-Twin. The voyager is the best looking bike IMHO

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Corbin seat (made for Vaquero) on my 1700 Nomad. Brought me back at least 1 1/2" maybe more. It also gives lots of room to move around on. It is a hard seat though so anything over an hour and I need the airhawk. With the air hawk it raises me up an inch and is comfortable all day.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So why don't you still ride one? I have looked at them and sat on a couple haven't rid one yet. Like the looks not sure about going back to carbs, and a cassette player and they aren't a V-Twin. The voyager is the best looking bike IMHO
All that and you have to adjust the valve lash, and pay more than the cost of a Voyager.

IMO the Voyager would be a perfect bike with a nice high revving V-4 with hydraulic valves. I get on the Voyager after riding the Concours and it takes a while to get used to going from a Ferrari to a Tractor. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The reason I did not get a new Venture was because I wanted to try a v-twin FI machine. You would think that after20 years riding HD Police scoots I would know better. I would not have wanted to go cross country on one of those. The good part was, you got off it a lot and walked around.

You can speculate, read, and listen to people all day long about a motorcycle. The ONLY way to know is to get one and ride it for a year or so. Then you will know if it was worth it. I do like riding the Voyager. The Venture was worth it. But in 15 years nothing but the color was changed.

And besides, what I like, you would hate, and you will never change my/your mind about it. My idea of the perfect motorcycle (that does not exist) is much different than say... Ray's idea about the perfect motorcycle.

The Venture is a much more comfortable/ roomy ride for both the driver and passenger than the Voyager. But the Voyager is a very good bike to ride. But for comfort, it is just average. Not much floor board room. I cut my brake pedal in half just to give my right foot some room.

My next choice after a Venture for comfort would be a Victory Vision. I rode one of those for two months. Put about 4 thousand miles. Belonged to a friend. I thought it was over priced and really did not like the look, and had TINY TINY saddlebag space. Those bags are huge, but it is all show. And it was also hot to ride.

As far as adjusting the valves, I had 250k miles on it and it still did not need the valves adjusted. I did change out the clutch pak to a Barnett kit when I got my camping trailer the second year I had it. Did I need to? Not really, but it was free and easy to change out.

Yes the Venture has the cassette player, I also had the CD player, never used them. I used my XM receiver or mp3 player all the time. Never used the radio at all. With the Voyager I use a mp3 player that cost 5 bucks. I only listen to 60's, 70's and some 80's Rock and Roll.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I sat on my buddies Harley and my Voyager has tons more room than his. I don't think I could ride his very long. Was like a toy version of a real bike. He moved his trunk back and got more room for his old lady, but the front riding position plain sucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts