Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a 485 mile loop consisting of about 100 miles of twisty to mega twisty roads. Up to 10,000 feet. The temps were running mid 70s in the Sierras. The scoot's temp stayed right at the center mark and it was actuall chilly in the higher elevations....

Noticed the radio reception was only fair. The usual stations I would listen to through that loop that I have done at least 200 times, I had to get closer or over the "hill" to get them.

While we were stopped to eat I removed the bottom cover of the radio antenna mount. Sure enough the coax connection "disc" was upside down shorting the center wire to the metal mount. BESIDES that, there was a ground wire connected to the center post which is the antenna mast. I relocated the ground wire to the mounting frame, flipped the coax disc over to the correct orientation, and guess what? I could receive any and all the stations I normally do.

Coming across the lower valleys outside of my home town, for 100 miles the temp was over 100 degrees and we were going with the wind. I must say it was the hottest ride for me so far.

The VV handled far better than my old Venture in the twisties, I just about erased the left floorboard skid, and the right is shorter too. I was very pleased taking those 15/20 mph turns, hairpins at 50 mph or better. You can drag those boards all the way through the turn.... One of the guys with me was on a Victory Vision, and he managed to completely erase both of his floorboard skids and the outer edges of his floorboards. (like he normally does) By the way, he is a 70 year old minister... and he can flat drive a scoot. His last motorcycle was a Goldwing and he drove it the same way.

If it wasn't for the heat issue, I think the VV would or could be the "perfect" all occasion motorcycle. I have not been able to get the highway pegs, back rest yet, and this is the first motorcycle I have driven that long (9 hours) in a very long time without those, and I really did not need them. Comfortable all the way. (except the furnace of course) I can see why Venture owners go for this motorcycle. I did....:)

When I go back I did the 600 mile service (actually 760 miles)

All those 20 years I was a Motor Officer, people were always asking me if I wanted to try out their motorcycle, locals, tourists, passer byes. I took every opportunity to do it. Also one of the regulars that came through my town in the summer was Peter Fonda and his riding entourage. For many many years. Only 3 highways go across Nevada and where I live is the southern most one.

Anyway going to do the loop all again Wednesday, hope we don't get as much rain on us next week. (everyone I ride with is retired like me and we can go anywhere anytime):D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
first oil change vs. warranty

Hey Bubba,

Thanks for sharing your recent fun.

Do you know if doing our own first oil change may mess with warranty? :confused:

Maybe I'm too concerned, but mine is ready at 600 miles, and I hate to give the dealership all their labor fees for such a simple job.

Thanks in advance,

Hutsomn

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Bubba,

Do you know if doing our own first oil change may mess with warranty? :confused:

Maybe I'm too concerned, but mine is ready at 600 miles, and I hate to give the dealership all their labor fees for such a simple job.

Thanks in advance,

Hutsomn
Some crooked dealers may try to give you a hard time about such things, but they are just looking for suckers. To be on the safe side, just keep a receipt of your oil and filter purchase, and create a log entry with the date and mileage that you did the work.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did a 485 mile loop consisting of about 100 miles of twisty to mega twisty roads. Up to 10,000 feet. The temps were running mid 70s in the Sierras. The scoot's temp stayed right at the center mark and it was actuall chilly in the higher elevations....

Noticed the radio reception was only fair. The usual stations I would listen to through that loop that I have done at least 200 times, I had to get closer or over the "hill" to get them.

While we were stopped to eat I removed the bottom cover of the radio antenna mount. Sure enough the coax connection "disc" was upside down shorting the center wire to the metal mount. BESIDES that, there was a ground wire connected to the center post which is the antenna mast. I relocated the ground wire to the mounting frame, flipped the coax disc over to the correct orientation, and guess what? I could receive any and all the stations I normally do.

Coming across the lower valleys outside of my home town, for 100 miles the temp was over 100 degrees and we were going with the wind. I must say it was the hottest ride for me so far.

The VV handled far better than my old Venture in the twisties, I just about erased the left floorboard skid, and the right is shorter too. I was very pleased taking those 15/20 mph turns, hairpins at 50 mph or better. You can drag those boards all the way through the turn.... One of the guys with me was on a Victory Vision, and he managed to completely erase both of his floorboard skids and the outer edges of his floorboards. (like he normally does) By the way, he is a 70 year old minister... and he can flat drive a scoot. His last motorcycle was a Goldwing and he drove it the same way.

If it wasn't for the heat issue, I think the VV would or could be the "perfect" all occasion motorcycle. I have not been able to get the highway pegs, back rest yet, and this is the first motorcycle I have driven that long (9 hours) in a very long time without those, and I really did not need them. Comfortable all the way. (except the furnace of course) I can see why Venture owners go for this motorcycle. I did....:)

When I go back I did the 600 mile service (actually 760 miles)

All those 20 years I was a Motor Officer, people were always asking me if I wanted to try out their motorcycle, locals, tourists, passer byes. I took every opportunity to do it. Also one of the regulars that came through my town in the summer was Peter Fonda and his riding entourage. For many many years. Only 3 highways go across Nevada and where I live is the southern most one.

Anyway going to do the loop all again Wednesday, hope we don't get as much rain on us next week. (everyone I ride with is retired like me and we can go anywhere anytime):D
Thanks for the feedback Bubba.......I checked mine and found that it's installed correctly. Used the following thread to know what to look for:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12975

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hutson said................

Do you know if doing our own first oil change may mess with warranty?

Not true.

All you need to do is keep an accurate record of what you did, following the schedule procedure and receipts for your oil, filter. Make sure you have a Kawasaki service manual (or whatever brand motorcycle you are working on) not just a Clymers. Which I do. In fact you will find that when you take it to a dealer for scheduled service, they tend to "skip" a couple of them. IE: removing the tank just to look at the end of a hose. Also their bulk use oil for service is 20/50 and they put that in almost all serviced motorcycles. (so do I) I used to work at a Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer after my regular work for 10 years. I did the warranty and recall work, and assembled all the street motorcycles. Some regular service work when they got behind. But the same year I retired from the Sheriff's Office the dealer closed up and moved out of state. I also did the maintenance/repair including radios on the Sheriff's Office motorcycles for our station. Three for our area. Kawasaki 1000p's for 8 years then Harley's for 12 years. We wnt to the Harleys because of the better resale value. Not performance.

When I was getting the new Voyager I showed the dealer my maint logs on my 2002 Venture for trade in, and he added another $1,000 to my trade in value. Every single thing I had done to it in 11 years was written in that book. Everything I added, everything I added than took off... every tire change, oil change (every 3k miles) everything. They were very impressed.

By the way, I have only had this Voyager 9 days and I already have a full page of maint I have on it. That also includes the stuff I found assembled incorrectly, like the antenna assembly. One piece of misaligned chrome on the right rear fender that was causing noise and rubbing on the chrome.

I spent too many years in the Air Force doing maint tech orders I guess. But that's the way I do it. I have a 83 Honda GL650 Interstate that still looks as good as the day I bought it in 83. Here is a pic I took of it about 2 years ago. My youngest daughter has it right now for a while so I could have some room in the garage. My wife and both daughters , son in laws all drive scoots.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bubba, I am envious of you. We are coming out on the 13th to Las Vegas for a weeks vacation at the Golden Nugget downtown. This will be our third trip out to NV. My wife and I both like it very much. We could definatley retire in southern NV.
I am bringing my parents with us. My mother has never been out west, and my father use to be stationed at Nellis sixty years ago, so its been along time for him too. My uncle and cousin from Yucca Valley are coming over for a couple of days to join up with us too.
I know that there are great riding roads out there compared to the bumby roads of New England. I only wish I could ride my 2010 Nomad around the area.
Last August, we went up to Rachel for one of our day trips. I wanted to see the region around area 51. So, I guess we were heading in your direction along the ET highway.
All I can say is that it is so beautiful in the desert. We also did the the Valley of Fire for a second time. We went down to Laughlin too.
I'll be taking my parents to some of the scenic places on this trip. I think I'll check out the area around Mt. Charleston. Kyle and Lee canyon roads look to be interesting. I jsut wish it wasn't in a minivan!
Maybe, in about ten years we'll be out looking for a condo to move into for good.
Take care, and good luck with your Voyager, Eric

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hey Bubba,

Thanks in advance,

Hutsomn
There is more to the the 600 mile service than just changing the oil. Although, some techs might just change the oil and call it good.

Oil change is one of 27 items that need to be inspected, and adjusted, etc if needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts