Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added a pair of hard bags and a trunk to my '09 VN900 Classic (photos to be posted soon) and I've noticed that my gas mileage went down a bit and now I could use a little extra HP to climb the hills here in Colorado. I've actually considered selling my 9 and getting a new Voyager but that's a bit more money than I want to spend right now. I would rather spend some money to improve my power. I'm open to all suggestions and warnings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Big 3 (intake,exhaust,tuner)
Turbo
nitrous

Those are the only things I have seen done to a 900 to gain hp. I dont know if anyone has got into stroking, porting and polishing or not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Big 3 (intake,exhaust,tuner)
Turbo
nitrous

Those are the only things I have seen done to a 900 to gain hp. I dont know if anyone has got into stroking, porting and polishing or not.
Big 3 seems to get about 15%~ for a power increase. Not terrible, and most guys are pretty satisfied with the results.

Don't know much about the turbo kits. I imagine they're not cheap at all and could result in some maintenance, reliability, and rideability issues.

Nitrous is nice for the drag strip, but probably not a great solution for powering up hills out in traffic lol

Really not a lot of options for the 9 that aren't spendy custom jobs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did the big 3 and it helps. I gained about 25% in hp. The dyno was right at 58 hp and 58 torque at the rear wheel. Which is good enough to run with a 1500. I am satisfied with the 9. But The top 3 bikes on my bigger bike list is a vulcan 2000 v twin. Honda F6C Valkyrie 6 cylinder 1500 gold-wing motor(1996-2005) and Yamaha royal star tour its a v4 1300. All 3 of these bike are right at 100 ft lbs of torque and 100 hp. They can also be found fairly reasonable money wise.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/first-rides-tests/2009/april/apr2809-10-massive-cruisers/

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Did the big 3 and very satisfied with the performance. Have saddlebags and trunk, ride 2 up and no power issues in the mountains. Might squeeze a few more HP by porting and polishing, but anything else seems a waste of money. If I ever have a reason to pull the heads will do a port and polish on them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Big 3 seems to get about 15%~ for a power increase. Not terrible, and most guys are pretty satisfied with the results.

Don't know much about the turbo kits. I imagine they're not cheap at all and could result in some maintenance, reliability, and rideability issues.

Nitrous is nice for the drag strip, but probably not a great solution for powering up hills out in traffic lol

Really not a lot of options for the 9 that aren't spendy custom jobs.
The only guy doing turbo kits for the 9 seemed pretty fair on price and if done correct nitrous would be perfect for the extra uuumph to get up a hill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses. My black motorcycle is hard to photograph with a phone, this photo came out darker than I thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cobra PowerPro autotuner, BAK, and a set of pipes :)
Yes I'm with you on this!! I have powerpro autotuner , LA chopper air intake , vance & hines pipe with custom baffle ... And secondary butterfly remove...all those is Day and night!!!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
these bags slowed you down ...

I rode from Denver across the mountains to Durango and got tagged by a 50 mph head on as well as x winds ... that's what slowed me down, the mountain climbs were fine ... and I was a lot wider and heavier than you. My classic is stock except for a K&N filter and a 200 rear.

Must be those things hanging from my trailer .... or 65 mph puts me smack bang in the peak torque range.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I did the air scoop, tuner and a partial debaffle and I saw a big difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts