Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

My wife and I got our '09 classic a few months ago and really enjoy it. This is the bike we'll have for the next few years until the last child leaves home or we hit the lotto. I've been searching through the threads and I'm trying to find out a way to get a little more juice out of the bike when on the interstates. Most of our rides are like many of you; back country roads and small highways, cruising in the 60-70 mph range. However, with the two of us and my big windshield, the bike gets pretty uncomfortable running much over 70 mph on freeways when necessary. We have a big trip to the Blue Ridge mountains this summer and I could use more juice. Do you all think adding more ponies with a BAK and pipes would get our baby to handle higher speeds better or changing the front and/or rear pulley?

Many of you are WAY smarter than me and I welcome your advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Intake and pipes are the only thing curently out there for the 900. Don't expect miracles in performance gains. Need more explanation of uncomfortable over 70 and handle higher speeds better. Not sure what is perceived as shortcomings.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pipes + intake + fuelpak = about 6-10hp. You will notice a difference, albeit nothing earth-shattering. If you are running a lot of freeway/4-lane roads, you may want to consider the above, plus add the Scootworks front pulley.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer your question, Baitis, over 70 or so, the engine is producing more vibrations throughout the bike, which ends up making our backsides get tired sooner than normal. I know many owners complain of that but it doesn't happen to everyone. Perhaps some of that could be from buffeting due to the windshield. The one I have doesn't have an adjustable rake so it sits straight up. I don't like riding the freeways but sometimes it's just necessary and most of the freeway speed limits around here have moved up to 70.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Meangreen88, The vibration on my 900 at high speed comes from the high engine RPM. The pulley will reduce rpm which should also reduce the vibration.

Buffeting was also a problem, which pretty much went away when I installed lowers. The thing that really helps my butt is an Airhawk cushion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Meangreen88, The vibration on my 900 at high speed comes from the high engine RPM. The pulley will reduce rpm which should also reduce the vibration.

Buffeting was also a problem, which pretty much went away when I installed lowers.
I must agree, adding the Scootworks Front pulley is the best thing i've done to my 900.

·
Registered
167 Posts
pulley/pipes/air kit/fuel pak...is all you need...this bike is agile while giving enough power to get me around...plus it goes above 110+ so its got that too...not too bad for a 900

·
Registered
382 Posts
what does the scootworks pulley do for MPG? I like my ~40mpg, miss the 50-55mpg of the 650R I had before (best of about 65mpg).

I also miss the acceleration... too bad nobody makes a traditional Japanese 'sport cruiser' (think Pre-Harley Clone metric 'cruiser' like Magna and stuff) outside of the Yamaha V Max, which would make the insurance company lots of money and the thing looks really gaudy.

EDIT: it reduces the final drive ratio... it would therefore reduce engine RPMs and help fuel economy providing the engine doesn't lug, which I'm sure they tested it out and made sure it won't lug the bike down in normal circumstances.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Scootworks pulley only drops the rpms by a few hundred. Depending how much faster over 70 you want to go the buzzing will come back. You'll also lose some low end grunt with the bigger front pulley which may or may not be a problem riding two-up. The 900 is already a slow bike so the pulley will only make it slower on low end. Too bad the NC winshield isn't adjustable - do they make a different mount? The 900 is a cruiser and not a touring machine so there's always going to be some trade-offs...unless you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have thought about the Scootworks pulley, but have decided against it now that I have had the bike for a while. I think what the 900 really needs is a sixth gear, or a little more spread between the five. To me the 900 tranny feels like a six speed with the sixth gear removed, the gear ratios seem a little too close for a five speed.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A 200 tire in the rear will help also and is much less expensive than a front pulley.
Not enough to be noticeable and without a tach I don't know how much the rpms changed...but the buzz range doesn't shift a whole lot. I have the Avon Venom which stands about 2" taller than the LOP or Met. The buzzing in the bars at 70+ still makes my fingers go numb on long trips. Frame buzzing doesn't kick in until about 80 on the short sprints. I don't know how much the pulley changes the ratio's. I don't know how the pulley costs but I can't believe it costs more than my Avon....which will wear out frequently and need replacing....recurring cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info on the pulley, Baitis. I did e-mail NC but unfortunately they don't offer a different bracket. They suggested getting something fabricated. I might look into that.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I think I'll just have to chalk it all up to character points for the 900 until I can get something beefier. It's a great bike overall, I just need a little more gusto.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Did you happen to notice if your new tire had a positive impact on speedometer accuracy?
The Avon Venom 200/70/15 fixed my speedo errors for a week....until I replaced the speedo dial and started adjusting from scratch again (what a pain). By GPS my speedo is now within 1-2mph across the board.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The pulley should slightly improve your milege depending on your riding habits. The other thing it might do is you may find yourself only using 4 gears on city streets (unless you're doing freeway speeds).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had the front pulley on my bike for a few months now and the reduction in torque is negligible, even riding 2-up it takes off from the line with no problems. The pulley and the exhaust are the only performance mods i have done. If you go with the pulley, you won't be disappointed!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Touring

The 900 is a very good touring bike set up with a shield mustang seat bags and a backrest i would'nt be afraid to ride anywhere . All this griping i hear with modern day riders makes me wonder how on earth we made it in the old days . I'm 47 years old i once rode a honda cb350 on a 1200 mile ride no problems and had a blast . Now days everyone has to have everything so so or they can't ride .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts