Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a la choppers big air kit and a cobra fi2000r already fitted and like the look of my black stock pipes on my custom se my question is weather or not to debaffle or do i need to get new pipes. i want a little more noise and also think i may need to debaffle inn-order to open the pipes up to get the benefit of the new air kit would this help ? are they restricting the air flow now ? i know i would get more noise if i debaffle but would it also improve performance ? i have never done anything like this before but have read the threads and am willing to give it a go but don't want to waste my time if i am not going to get the results i am looking for as i said i do like the stock pipes so would rather keep them if i can any advice would be great

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have fully debaffled pipes (love the tone & noise level, don't think it's too load), ArlenNess Big Air Sucker, Cobra PowrPro, and removed the secondary butterflies. I did these in stages starting with 1) debaffled pipes, 2) Air Kit & Fuel Mgmt, 3) Butterflies. Noticed the performance improvement once I added the air kit & fuel mgmt. The butterflies improved throttle response.

Doing the debaffle I believe you'll see the performance your air kit & fuel mgmt will deliver.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
the butterflies he might be referring to are the secondary butterflies located right behind the air filter. it allows for a quicker throttle response. or so ive been told
Correct. They are easy to remove (two screws). I noticed the difference in throttle response immediately.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks bosco i think i might go for it and while i am their take the butterflies out as well and see what its like if dont like it i can still get some aftermarket pipes i like the vance and hines slash cuts anyway would you also marble with the debaffling with this set up or just leave it ?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
thanks bosco i think i might go for it and while i am their take the butterflies out as well and see what its like if dont like it i can still get some aftermarket pipes i like the vance and hines slash cuts anyway would you also marble with the debaffling with this set up or just leave it ?
I did the marble mod to reduce the back fire and it does help. Another simple 10 minute mod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it cant be explained better than that

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I bought my bike (used) the original owner already had the stock pipes debaffled. It popped but very infrequently and a little popping is a characteristic of V-Twin so it was acceptable but when I add the K&N air filtering, popping got a lot worse. Since K&N filters allow much more air, it made the bike run leaner. My remedy was Cobra Fi2000 FM unit. I have not done the marble mod nor have I seen the need for it yet. Funny, I honestly didn't think it meant and actual marble when I saw the "marble mod".

I think with almost any FI bike, if you are debaffling or using a slip-on and also use a K&N air filter, some sort of a fuel management unit is a must since due to ridiculous Federal and state emission requirements, almost all bikes manufactured in the last several years are configured to run lean already. Lean running engine means low emissions but also a hotter running engine with a shorter life span.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts