Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had it a month, couple days ago noticed the drivers seat looked like is had swallowed a balloon and had a bubble in the middle of it all the way across.. You could grab and pull the material up and away from the seat. I took it off flipped it over and saw that all 3 of the pleat stays. (the threaded cords going from the underside of the seat pan into the seat) had torn loose fabric from the seat.

I emailed my dealer (as they are 250 miles away) and told them what happened, they requested I send some pictures of it. I did that and then got an email advising that Kawasaki said they would replace it and a new one is ordered. When it comes in they will mail/UPS it to me and want me to get the old seat back to them the next time I go to Vegas.

I do plan on getting the pillow top Kawasaki seats anyway. I do not like the Mustang or Corbin seats.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have the stock, gel, and heated seats for my bike. I am thinking about sending the stock rider seat to Russel Day Long to see what they can do. The stock seat compresses too much after a couple hours in the saddle. The Gel seat is definitely better, and the heated seats are only on the bike 6 months out of the year.

You can't beat the price of the Gel seat for the Voyager.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have had Corbin several times... never liked any of them. I don't like Mustang either but I would take a Mustang over a Corbin. I have already done 12-14 hour rides on the VV stock seat already and ts fine... I am 6-3 and 275 lbs... But I am going to try the pillow tops. Yep... they are a good price too considering. Found the tall pillow top backrest on ebay for $119 free shipping so I have it coming, and will get the other two before too long. Have not seen the drivers seat for less than $152 anywhere with free shipping. (and no tax which makes the deal)

Kawasaki will only replace the stock seat with another stock seat. Tried...

The stock Venture seat I could do a 600-800 mile day with no problem and not be tired when I got there. I would go from here to my Brothers house in Clovis NM, 1,115 miles... non stop in a long day. We do that when we go in the car too. It takes more daylight going than coming back...

I/we do 600 miles days all the time out here just on our Saturday lunch runs....... no big deal. I can go 150 miles or so on this stock VV seat no problem too. Stop for gas and I am good for another 150 miles or so. We do not have gas stations every 20 miles out here, every 150 to 200 depending on which way we go. Closest the way we seldom go is 102 miles...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The stock Venture seat I could do a 600-800 mile day with no problem and not be tired when I got there.
The pillowtop seats on the Venture sure were cushy. The studded seats on the midnights weren't as good IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I could get the Venture seat to fit on the VV, I have a new one in the box....

Yep, that was one nice seat.. the wife loved the rear seat too...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Pillow Top

I have had Corbin several times... never liked any of them. I don't like Mustang either but I would take a Mustang over a Corbin. I have already done 12-14 hour rides on the VV stock seat already and ts fine... I am 6-3 and 275 lbs... But I am going to try the pillow tops. Yep... they are a good price too considering. Found the tall pillow top backrest on ebay for $119 free shipping so I have it coming, and will get the other two before too long. Have not seen the drivers seat for less than $152 anywhere with free shipping. (and no tax which makes the deal)

Kawasaki will only replace the stock seat with another stock seat. Tried...

The stock Venture seat I could do a 600-800 mile day with no problem and not be tired when I got there. I would go from here to my Brothers house in Clovis NM, 1,115 miles... non stop in a long day. We do that when we go in the car too. It takes more daylight going than coming back...

I/we do 600 miles days all the time out here just on our Saturday lunch runs....... no big deal. I can go 150 miles or so on this stock VV seat no problem too. Stop for gas and I am good for another 150 miles or so. We do not have gas stations every 20 miles out here, every 150 to 200 depending on which way we go. Closest the way we seldom go is 102 miles...
Bubba
When you get the pillow top, and give it a good working over, let me know what you think of it.
Tks

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
chrisboggsfmc...

Hopefully I will be able to get the pillow top drivers seat end of next month. (military retiree payday) and will let you know. I may have to raise this VV up a couple inches somehow like the 3 inch lift I did on the Venture. By the way, I have always been "Dark Side" on my "long trip" motorcycles and will more than likely do the same the first time the rear tire is changed. Did your change your speedo a lot? I had to get the "yellow box" speedo converter on my Venture. The tire I had on it lowered my speedo indicated speed 11 mph slower than actual. Had to use the yellow box so I could set the cruise at actual 80 mph. CORRECTION, the underlined is corrected to be..

The tire lowered my actual speed while indicating a higher speed of 11 mph higher than I was actually going... (Old man brain fart on original post... it happens and some day you will know too :eek:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dark Side

chrisboggsfmc...

Hopefully I will be able to get the pillow top drivers seat end of next month. (military retiree payday) and will let you know. I may have to raise this VV up a couple inches somehow like the 3 inch lift I did on the Venture. By the way, I have always been "Dark Side" on my "long trip" motorcycles and will more than likely do the same the first time the rear tire is changed. Did your change your speedo a lot? I had to get the "yellow box" speedo converter on my Venture. The tire I had on it lowered my speedo indicated speed 11 mph slower than actual. Had to use the yellow box so I could set the cruise at actual 80 mph.
Bubba
I'de say yes to the positive. With the OEM Bridgestone I was running 4 to 5 below what the spedo said. When I put the 195/60-16 Bridgestone on the speedo was only about 2 hight up to about 70mph. Over 70 it will be 3 to 4 higher. I'm usually within 60 to 70 so I can live with a 2 mile difference.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
chrisboggsfmc,

Cool actually I meant it showed 11 mph higher than what I was actually doing. (Old man brain farts again)... I will correct my original... I believe I will go ahead and order the same tire you have so it will be handy....

·
Registered
287 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage we both get out of the same tire. I've read some Dark side posts on other sites that are claiming 20,000 out of the General Altimax, but right now I can't find any General Altimax in 195/60-16. I can find it in a 205/60-16 rated for 70,000 miles. I went with the 195/60-16 because several Voyager posts indicated they couldn't get the 205 in the swing arm, but some said they could but it was credit card close.

Bubba; have you tried a radial on the front with the radial CT on your other bikes?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had over 22,000 miles on the rear tire on that Venture I traded in and it did not look like it even worn any. The casting tabs were still on it...

·
Registered
287 Posts
What brand of tire did you have on the Venture? And have you tried a radial on the front with these radial CT's on the rear?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you buy a Corbin for your Vaq? How about some pics?
I know this is an old post but I too would like to see a pic of a Corbin on the Vaq if possible. Corbin is near me so might shoot down there though been a fan of Mustang for years. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be making any progress. So again, Slowpoke or anyone have pics of the Corbin on the Vaq?
Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
For anyone considering a custom seat you may want to check out Diamond star. The other day I met Racnray and looked and sat on his new seat from them It felt real good. They make seats for you not a generic off the shelf. They are also comparable in price to corbin,mustang....ect.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Corbin on VV

Well the Corbin just arrived. At first, I couldn't get the back end to fasten into the bracket on the bike no matter how hard I pressed down - even sat on it and bounced; so I removed the bracket from the seat and added a pair of thick washers, one for each bolt - washers were about 1/8". Re-installed bracket - she snapped on like she was supposed to. Later I saw on their website that this is a known issue, and they suggest exactly what I did to address it. The rubber bumpers on the underside are riveted on poorly. One fell off of the passenger backrest and I hadn't touched it. Screws would have been better.

Initial impressions (without riding): Does not lower you as much as they claim, :mad: but it definitely moves you back! So much so that I'll have to get a set of risers (I'm 5'9"). My feet don't reach the Highway pegs nearly as nice as they used to either - not much adjustment room there, but did the best I could with it. If you're tall and you feel cramped on the bike, this seat's for you! I measured and it's 2 + inches further back than stock. The seat felt comfortable, nice and firm. Backrests (driver and passenger) feel good, and Driver Backrest adjusts nicely (but not up and down). Definitely looks better than stock. Will get a better idea once I can take it on the road after this 40 day flood comes to an end. But first, I'll have to wait until my risers arrive - can't ride the bike with this seat until I can get a little closer to the handlebars.

Update: Haven't put much mileage on - the Risers sure changed the slow speed handling of the bike - almost like riding a different bike. Hopefully just a matter of getting used to the new position (seat and handlebars are 2" further back). Just ordered a different set of Highway Pegs (going with Kuryakyn's Tour-Tech Mounts w/Iso Wings, so will be selling my Longhorn Offsets w/Iso Swept Wings). It appears the seat will do it's job in eliminating "monkey butt", but it seems that it may create a new problem - like sitting on a rock all day...ha ha! Like I said, need to put more miles on it to get a better opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts