Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from a thread in the V2K forum. Post up the mods that you got and didn't like and explain why you didn't like it. Or even post mods that you got and wished you would have gotten somthing different (even if it wasn't a total dislike) This could be useful for other people thinking about buying a product that might be quite up to par. Hope this is helpful!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
lizard lights

a waste of money because NJ is strict on laws regarding riding around with multi-colored lights whether they are flashing or not... but that's not the real reason... you install them in places to "enhance" the cylinder heads and unfortunately during the day you can see the reflection of the wiring and all on the chrome?!?!?

they looked neat... for a bit. but i am not doing shows with this bike?!?! anyone want a set of the 7-color ones? :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
lizard lights

a waste of money because NJ is strict on laws regarding riding around with multi-colored lights whether they are flashing or not... but that's not the real reason... you install them in places to "enhance" the cylinder heads and unfortunately during the day you can see the reflection of the wiring and all on the chrome?!?!?

they looked neat... for a bit. but i am not doing shows with this bike?!?! anyone want a set of the 7-color ones? :)
How much for them?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
mebbe you got this idea from THIS forum.. :)
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9340

annie

I got this idea from a thread in the V2K forum. Post up the mods that you got and didn't like and explain why you didn't like it. Or even post mods that you got and wished you would have gotten somthing different (even if it wasn't a total dislike) This could be useful for other people thinking about buying a product that might be quite up to par. Hope this is helpful!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I lowered mine 2" with a Scootworks kit. Set the shock to its 2nd stiffest setting, and I had problems bottoming out riding 2 up (and once in a while riding solo). My wife and I are about 310 lbs. combined. Sometimes it sounded like the shock bottoming, and sometimes it sounded like the tire hitting the splash guard. I've since raised it up to a 1" drop and had the service guys stiffen the shock when they put new tires on (I could NOT get that thing to go that last "click"!). All's well now. Someday I may go back to 2" to see if adjusting the shock helped, but I doubt I will.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think you'll get better luck if you ask what upgrades did u like and why. But I think it has been asked several times.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I see a very practical purpose for this thread. Like the 2" drop kit, had he just said "I don't like it" without expanding as to why someone would have flamed him for that. A thread with what is a dud and why is very helpful to those of us without unlimited funds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
1) Scootworks 3" risers was a waste of money. Hated the look.
2) Kaw flame gel seat - butt still sore and the covering is cracking across the flame threads after a year.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I guess I can give some input on one thing.

Willie & Max solo great looking seat but very uncomfortable. Just a tad better than the stock but makes me feel like I'm riding on the stock seat after 1hr. The Corbin Young Guns was way better and even the OEM Gel seat feels better too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I see a very practical purpose for this thread. Like the 2" drop kit, had he just said "I don't like it" without expanding as to why someone would have flamed him for that. A thread with what is a dud and why is very helpful to those of us without unlimited funds.
+1 and bump.
I have a zero-mod bike (unless you count my el-cheapo throttle lock:D )
I'm probably going to debaffle soon - and then invest in a Mustang seat.

I'm always interested in "Mods Gone Bad" posts, and will post any that I do - badly or otherwise.

That's the value of a forum after all.:cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only mod I did that I didn't like was the Saddlemen touring seat I had on the bike for a couple of months. It turned out to be not much better than stock, but I fixed that with a Russell Day Long Saddle...mmmmm... plush!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
1) Scootworks 3" risers was a waste of money. Hated the look.
2) Kaw flame gel seat - butt still sore and the covering is cracking across the flame threads after a year.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the 3" risers on your bike would you?

I've got a 2010 Custom SE and was thinking about the 3" risers in black.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Going darkside is on my list of bad mods. Thought it would be great but after only a few thousand miles I have a death wobble at about 85. With my highway riding and the scootworks pulley bow installed that instability is terrible. Putting a metzler 880 back on as soon as it comes in. Also for those mechanics yes I checked the front end. Tore it apart, added grease to the bearings a lot better than the factory did and torqued it back to spec, wobble still there but now definitely noticeable and coming from the rear instead of all over. It. Works for some but it didn't for me and my riding style.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Going darkside is on my list of bad mods. Thought it would be great but after only a few thousand miles I have a death wobble at about 85. With my highway riding and the scootworks pulley bow installed that instability is terrible. Putting a metzler 880 back on as soon as it comes in. Also for those mechanics yes I checked the front end. Tore it apart, added grease to the bearings a lot better than the factory did and torqued it back to spec, wobble still there but now definitely noticeable and coming from the rear instead of all over. It. Works for some but it didn't for me and my riding style.
I tried this on a friends bike and didn't like it. I learned to ride on his back then new shadow 750 and after the DS it was a different bike. Like I stated before, yes you will get use to the new handeling but just not for me. He's actually back to MC tire and states will never go back either. He too had wobble at high speed, when I tried it we took the back reads with lots of twisties and never went over like 70mph but he also stated that at faster speeds like 80mph it would wobble a lot. He also used to drag his pegs with the DS and now with the MC back he seems to not do it so often. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Kuryakin mini spot and LED lightbar.... put one on husband's bike a couple years ago and boy was that a mistake. Cant really see the little mini spots anyway..and cannot see the LED running lights at all....cant see when he signaling for a turn from the front.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/prodFam/Metric/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/16/scID/35/IMID/515

we left it because it cost a bundle....but now after a couple years, everything is loose and the lights are intermittent and blink rapidly most of the time like it has a nervous twitch. Poor contact of course since they use the frame for ground and eveyrthing is loose.

Took it off and threw it away today... :) Put on a National cycle bar that looks sharp....!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts