Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the option to remove the trunk when I don't need the extra storage space. I haven't researched all the parts needed, but am considering putting the nomad rear parts on the bike. I know the photos don't match exactly, but you get the gist of what I am thinking about.

I already have a wind deflector shield like the Vaquero, and am considering the radiator surround from that bike as well.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is what I am thinking
My wife wouldn't go for that. Plus, I don't like handlebar mounted shields/fairings due to the affect of crosswinds on the steering.

·
Banned
229 Posts
Is the Vaquero fairing handlebar or frame mounted?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the Vaquero fairing handlebar or frame mounted?
It is the same fairing as the Voyager which is frame mounted. The difference is the windshield and the lowers. Frame mounted fairings provide lighter steering and less affects from the wind.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it fit on a Nomad?
I guess that would depend whether the framing to mount the fairing attaches to common points between the two bikes or whether mounting tabs were welded to the Voyager/Vaquero frames to support the fairing frame.

You might be able to gather this information by going to Kawaski's website and looking at the parts diagrams for the Nomad and Voyager and see what is different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
twowheel,

I guess one of the reason I personally went with the Voyager is that it had the trunk and passenger friendly back rest. I installed a trunk on my 1997 Classic for that reason, to make the little lady comfortable. I understand the reason for not having a trunk for riding locally, but, my riding is really not that style anymore. Mainly start her up and shut her down at least 100 miles later.... Guess I have become old. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wish that Kawasaki (or someone) would make a quick-disconnect kit for the Voyager trunk, one that removes the trunk and the upper part of the support bracket (leaving a relatively clean rear fender exposed). There are times when I would like to ride without it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Curious

Hey Upstater, did they up the horsepower on the Triumph Rocket Touring bike? My last Rocket Classic III was rated at 140HP, but the new touring back in 07 or 08 was going to be 106hp? I'd love it if the tourer had the 140hp. Nice Pic.
T-Rec

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Upstater, did they up the horsepower on the Triumph Rocket Touring bike? My last Rocket Classic III was rated at 140HP, but the new touring back in 07 or 08 was going to be 106hp? I'd love it if the tourer had the 140hp. Nice Pic.
T-Rec
No they have not. It has more torque at a lower rpm than previous R3's. On the road test with the Queen on the pillion, I accelerated 3/4 throttle and went from 40 to 70 mph in a flash. I did not get punched, I mean tapped on the back for that. She actually said, wow that was smooth.

I have read that you can get 90% of the h.p. back with hardware upgrades and tune boy. Not in my plans though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice weather and time on my hands meant that I could attack the idea of removing the Voyager trunk without too much fuss.

Here's the result:

kawasaki voyager SG1.jpg

kawasaki voyager SG2.jpg

kawasaki voyager SG3.jpg

kawasaki voyager SG4.jpg

kawasaki voyager SG5.jpg

I can remove / replace the trunk in about as much time as it takes to turn four bolts and connect the tail light plug and the antenna wire.

I can write up a basic set of instructions on how to do this if anyone is interested. Basically I removed the plastic trim that covers the sides of the trunk mounting bracket (I personally like the look better anyway). With that piece of trim out of the way, the four bolts that connect the trunk bracket to the bike frame are exposed.

It can be called the Voyager Vaquero (?), or the Kawasaki "Street Glide," or whatever. While it lacks the chrome fill pieces between the bags and fender, it looks good enough for me. Maybe if I find the right material I'll try to fashion some fill pieces, maybe not. For now, I really like the idea of being able to change the look of the bike so easily. The trunk and bracket weighs around 20-25 lbs (I'm guessing), and it does make a noticeable difference in the feeling for how the bike handles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's what it looks like with the trunk replaced (without the side trim pieces).

kawasaki voyager rpl1.jpg

kawasaki voyager rpl2.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Davemc,

I would appreciate a set of instructions. I do like the look for around town. Also since I am going to add a set of rear speakers I would have to disconnect them. Thanks.

Snoop

·
Registered
198 Posts
Davemc,

I would appreciate a set of instructions. I do like the look for around town. Also since I am going to add a set of rear speakers I would have to disconnect them. Thanks.

Snoop
Here's the procedure. The reason it seems a bit complicated is that the various trim pieces overlap each other, so you have to take lots of stuff off to get to the ones you need to remove. (Disclaimer: I am not legally responsible for anything that happens in the process of, or as a result of, doing this mod.)

1. Remove the plastic floor pan from the trunk. Press in the center of the 4 plastic "pop rivets" and hope the pan comes out without breaking the rivets (I broke one).

2. Remove the three screws inside the trunk holding the antenna mount, and then remove the bottom cover of the antenna mount (one screw). Then disconnect the antenna wire (held on with an 8mm nut) and pull it through the hole and into the trunk.

3. Unplug the tail light connector, inside the trunk.

4. Remove the tail light; 4 black philips head screws inside the trunk, and four chrome philips head bolts outside underneath.

5. Unbolt the trunk from the trunk bracket. Four 12mm bolts inside the trunk. Pull the antenna and tail light wires through the hole and out of the trunk. There are a couple of clips you will have to remove / open to get the wires completely free. You can roll these wires up together and stash them under the rider's seat.

6. Remove the chromed plastic trim from the bottom sides of the trunk bracket. Two chrome philips head bolts on each side connecting it to the bracket, and three chrome philips head bolts on each side connecting the trim to the bracket side trim.

7. Remove the bracket side trim. Three allen head bolts on each side holding the trim to the frame, and one screw on each side underneath the rider's seat (you'll have to remove to seats to get to these screws).

8. Locate the four bolts that connect the trunk bracket to the frame. Two 12mm bolts on each side. Hold the trunk bracket and do not let it fall and scratch your bags or fender! You should how have a clean rear end on your Voyager.

I may have gotten some step of this out of precise order, but it should be clear as you proceed which piece needs to come off to get to the next piece, etc. The goal of this first part is to get the trunk, trim pieces, and trunk bracket off the bike.

To make it a "quick connect" trunk:

9. Reattach the antenna mount to the trunk (three philips head bolts). Remember to include the antenna grounding strip (or whatever it is) with the bottom bolt.

10. Attach the bottom side pieces of trim to the trunk bracket with two chrome philips head bolts on the top of the outermost part of the bracket (on each side).

11. Bolt the bracket to the trunk. Remember to include the antenna grounding strip (or whatever it is for) with the left rear bolt.

12. Reinstall the tail light.

Now you should have a complete trunk (with side/bottom trim pieces and tail light) attached to a trunk bracket with bare sides -- the sides of the trunk bracket are exposed. To attach the whole thing to the bike, just set it over the back of the bike and line up the four 12mm bolt holes. Install the bolts, run your wires through the trunk and connect the tail light and antenna. You should have six allen head bolts and six chrome philips head bolts left over (these connect the bracket side trim to the frame and upper trim pieces).

Let me know if I can help in some way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If anyone is interested in buying the parts to convert the Voyager rear end to the Nomad rear end, I have them and will sell. If you are interested, I will send the exact part numbers and price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dave

I used your instructions today to remove the top box off my Voyager and make it a quick release one and they were great so thanks for that post - Jon from sunny Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the parts are still available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

I removed the back trunk from my 2011 Voyager. It looks great and easier to drive. What did you all do about the antenna?

Many Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts