Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to switch to synthetic oil. Was planning on going with Mobil 1 10/40 motorcycle oil. I came across one thread on another forum stating Mobil had changed the formula and that the result was clutch seizures. There was some reference to a Brock performance report but I could not find anything on the net I.e. An actual technical report. There are a lot of good things said about Mobill 1 and it is fairly easy to get.

Is there any truth to the claim that Mobil 1 motorcycle oil can cause clutch seizure?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I seriously doubt it. Any motorcycle specific oil is safe for a wet-clutch; that's what it's for.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is meant, exactly, by "clutch seizure"?
Not sure. From the few posts I could find it sounded like either the clutch would not dis engauge or that the clutch would not slip I.e. Stall or pop a wheelee when you let the clutch out.

Since I can't find very much about this issue I am thinking it has nothing to do with the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil but may be related to use of Mobil 1 car oil in motorcycles.

Personally I will only use motorcycle specific oil, however many guys use Shell RT6 for Diesel engines because it is a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If it says "mobil 1 motorcycle" on the bottle I will put it in my bike. Just let me get to 1500 miles first. Running the Kawi house blend non synthetic for break-in. Run the regular mobil 1 in every vehicle I have ever owned. Approaching 750,000 miles driven in my life, no major mechanical failures, never stranded. Most of those were on vehicles that I got with over 100,000 on them. Just installed mobile 1 and ran them to 2-250k. Only time that wouldn't be the best option is when it comes to lawn mowers. Valvoline HD SAE 30 FTW. Anybody got a mower that has ran for more than 17 mowing seasons on a 3 acre yard without a single mechanical failure? Get you some of that!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would think if it was JASO MA oil it would be fine, synthetic even better.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I get my JASO whatever's mixed up but I believe that it is the new spec that supersedes all the other JASO's. So yea its even better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts