Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Bike was running fine last night, took her out for a Spin on interstate She runs fine till 75. But when I try to push her pass that real fast she starts to mis-fire or sputor and spit . I say mis-fire. Any ideas before I put her in the shop ?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
How old are the plugs? That'd be the first thing I would check on an '06. Also a plugged up air filter element can cause break up under a high load. If you're using paper it may need to be replaced; cloth might need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SHe is the shop will update what they find

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Couple things that will contribute to mis-fire at speed. In addition to what has already been mentioned.

Fuel disruption (pump, dirty filter, dirty injectors)
Coil
ECU (maybe) this would be last on my list

Interested to hear what your shop finds.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok Bike was running fine last night, took her out for a Spin on interstate She runs fine till 75. But when I try to push her pass that real fast she starts to mis-fire or sputor and spit . I say mis-fire. Any ideas before I put her in the shop ?
By any chance are you dropping down a gear to accelerate real fast? If so, you MIGHT be hitting the rev limiter. If backing off the throttle a little causes the missing to go away, then I think it is the rev limiter.

Or, then again, it could also be a partially clogged fuel filter. Unless you're really winding up the motor, it's probably a clogged fuel filter. Just my guess. I could be wrong of course. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Update!!

Went to the shop they still did not look at the Bike yet so I pulled it out of the shop
I got it home went out and bought plugs, When I lifted the fuel Tank so I could Install new plugs I found a Vacum Hose unpluged. So I secure the vacum hose back down and went for a ride , Rode great but still had problems with any thing above 65, So I went and did the spark Plug change and whooo Hooo, yes rides better now then when I bought her.

FYI: Spark Plug change no reason to pull fuel tank with wrench supplied with tools of bike did the spark plug change in 10 minutes, just need to remove back bolts on fuel tank wedge something under the back of the tank, Lol I used and old black plastic ashtray .

So all in all this bike as the Dealers say is almost bulletproof

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey ErnieC glad it all turned out. Thanks for the update. Looks like it was a good thing the dealer didn't get to it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
ErnieC,

Glad it worked out for you. How many miles you got on this bike? Is this the first time you've changed the plugs?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
30k on the bike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts