Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Huh, i thought there was already a thread in here for Minnesota... i guess not!

There's actually quite a few of us in the forum.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Huh, i thought there was already a thread in here for Minnesota... i guess not!

There's actually quite a few of us in the forum.
Yeah, there was a Minnesota thread last year. Not sure what happened but this should do nicely!

I too am in the Twin Cities area. Just thought I'd mention that there is a scheduled group ride going out from the So. St. Paul Hitching Post next Saturday, May 21 at 11am. I've done these rides for the past couple of years and I find them to be a lot of fun. Group rides are not for everybody, but it's a different kind of riding experience and fun to try if you haven't ever done it. They haven't posted the route yet, but in the two rides I've gone out from this location, one went up the WI side of the St. Croix river and down through Taylors Falls etc., another one went down to Red Wing and back up. And when the ride gets done, they even serve a free cookout lunch in the parking lot. Can't beat it...

Disclaimer:
I have no connection with Hitching Post Motorsports, other than I bought my bike there and have gone on 3 or 4 of these rides with them and always had a good time. Get to meet other local riders that way too.

P.S. Here's the link to the old thread called 2010 Minnesota Rides that you had started Helek! (But maybe it's time to start fresh anyway...)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had a super nice ride today, first really perfect Saturday we've had this season. A friend (with BMW 1200GS) invited me go go with him up to Duluth so he could order his Aerostitch riding suit at the factory there.

We left early (8:30 am), slabbed up I-35 to Askov, rode Hwy 23 to and through Jay Cook State park (gorgeous roads and twisties!), early lunch at Gordy's in Cloquet, took some back roads over to Duluth where he got the suit ordered, then up the North Shore Scenic Road along Lake Superior up through Two Harbors and we ALMOST got to the Split Rock Lighthouse but the traffic was backed up with road construction... so we bailed.

Turned around, stopped for coffee at a nice little lakeside bar and restaurant. When it got to be 4pm we found our way to the newly opened Castle Danger Brewing Company, a micro- no make that a NANObrewery. We got to sample three (little 2 oz.) samples and each took home a growler full of their delightful Danger Ale. Then a stop at Russ Kendall's Smokehouse for some smoked salmon and lake trout to also take home, and we high-tailed it back to the Twin Cities from there. Gone 12 hours, I put on 378 miles which I think is probably the most I've rode in a single day.

The Mustang proved it's worth. While I was plenty glad to get home and sit down with a cold one, I still felt I could have kept riding if I'd had to... an easy almost 400 miles in a day.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My name is Tom and I live in Faribault...first bike was an '06 Vulcan 900 classic. Sold 'er in September and just picked up an '05 2000 limited. Great 900 LT ForestLake! Here's to Minnesota!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well, my time in der nort country is rapidly coming to a close. We sold our house and will be moving to the warmer climes of AZ on Nov 3rd. No more changing the clock due to Daylight Savings for me!

I'll have to remember to sign in under the Arizona Registry... : )

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ron here in Eden Prairie riding a '94 1500. One more ride before hibernation, the Swan Ride on Nov. 6, http://www.mnswanride.com/. Winter stinks!
Sweeet me too. This will be my fifth year. Praying for sun, and swans. We'll be some of the few not on Wings.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ron here in Eden Prairie riding a '94 1500. One more ride before hibernation, the Swan Ride on Nov. 6, http://www.mnswanride.com/. Winter stinks!

I'm down in Rochester and wish I could make the Swan Ride, but have to cover a job Sunday. I don't know where you go on the Swan Ride, but a ton of swans land on a small Mississippi backwater pond/lake just north of Alma, WI on route 35.

Have a great ride.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah that sounds like where we go. I have heard that if you get there earlier you can ride around the back of the area and see more.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hey Ron I think I saw your bike down at the Swan Ride. I think I was actually riding behind you for a little while. You and about 6 other guys went straight when you were supposed to turn right. You guys drove into Afton State park.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yup, only Buell there I think, and a yellow ninja500 (son's friend) riding with me. found out that my new GPS, garmin nuvi 1300 does not allow custom routes to be loaded into it, very frustrating, doesn't really tell you that anywhere! So I brain farted right through that turn. Put the written directions visible in my tank bag, end of problem. I do like the GPS ability to show the curves coming up in the road ahead, came in handy on road KK when I had the lead in the pack of mostly Hogs and left them way back. That short, torquey Buell eats those twisties like nothing else but you sure are up there high flapping in the wind and you just don't have the weight of the Vulcan. I think my float needle is bad causing the gas leak, I'll deal with it in the spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New Member in Minnesota

Scott here in White Bear Lake. I just bought a Vulcan 900 Classic, my first bike in about 25 years (last bike was a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750). Scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. I will have to "permit" ride for a while before I take my license test.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Scott here in White Bear Lake. I just bought a Vulcan 900 Classic, my first bike in about 25 years (last bike was a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750). Scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. I will have to "permit" ride for a while before I take my license test.
Congrats on the new purchase! Have you considered the MSF course to obtain your license and sharpen up your skills? Use their bike and come away fully licensed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! Have you considered the MSF course to obtain your license and sharpen up your skills? Use their bike and come away fully licensed.
I was thinking of taking the MSF course through nearby Century College, but I didn't know they provided the bike.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I was thinking of taking the MSF course through nearby Century College, but I didn't know they provided the bike.
Yeah they are small machines like 250cc and easy to manuver on the course.

From the MSF site:
Basic RiderCourse (BRC)
The best place for a new rider to start once they've made the decision to ride. Successful completion of this course and its knowledge and skill tests, which consists of approximately five hours of classroom and 10 hours of on-cycle instruction (conducted over two or three sessions), may serve as a license test waiver program in some states. Motorcycles and helmets are provided for your use during the course. Also, a course completion card may provide a rider an insurance discount. (In some states, this course may lead to only a motorcycle permit and require completion of the BRC2 to obtain full licensure.)

page to quoted material

1 - 20 of 26 Posts