Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im looking at getting a set of mini apes for my 900 custom does any body know how big i can go with stock cables and lines not many custom bike shops around for me to measure up with thanks for all your help

·
Registered
430 Posts
10" is the tallest. I installed a set of 9.5" tall with the stock risers from the classic 900.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have Biltwell Chumps which are 8 inches, but I also have 3 inch spacers on the stock risers. Roughly 11 inches. Clutch cable gets tight if I turn the bars all the way to the right. No problems during normal riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Look one here for some risers. I bought mine for a pretty good price from a member.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Exactly-- 10 inch apes are just right unless u want cable changes. On my Classic 9, I just had to cut off the upper, hose-retaining rings on the front brake hose because it was getting pinched when maxxing a handlebar turn.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I just put on 12" apes with the stock cables. The clutch cable is a little snug but still has some space.

·
Registered
121 Posts
nice setup, atineo, where in Queens do you ride?
Lovin ur handlebars ...and the green paint, my fave color.
U reminded me with ur pix to reattach my swingarm bag.
Ride free and safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the looks of the 12" bars but I'm limited to a 15 bar height the opp already have a hate on for me

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went with 16's and I love them!... I did have to get new cables but they only ran me $110 from motion pro.... On a side note, I think 18's would be better.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Sandman, Good 4 u. But do watch out for frayed cables. My brake hose had to be reconfigured. Also some cables could be longer.
Yeah I'm planning on getting them extended or just replaced with longer ones. Probably do it next month after I get back from my upcoming vacation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
nice setup, atineo, where in Queens do you ride?
Lovin ur handlebars ...and the green paint, my fave color.
U reminded me with ur pix to reattach my swingarm bag.
Ride free and safe.
@tedkawi I live in jackson heights but I keep my bike at my parents house in Richmond Hill. They have a garage but it sucks that I can't ride whenever I want. I have to drive there to be able to ride my bike.

But as for changing cables, if youre gonna change the bars, if you could afford to change the cables, I'd go with the stainless steel cables. Some people reroute their cable behind the triple trees but I couldn't figure it out... I was too anxious to get it all back together that I just hurried up and finished. I heard it takes some finessing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey atineo: If u need a mechanic to "finesse" your cables, I'll gladly bring u to a pro [good prices, pro job] in Long Island City nearby. Maybe I'll ask him if he can do mine, too. You know I'm at Woodside. PM me for my cell.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just put on 12" apes with the stock cables. The clutch cable is a little snug but still has some space.
Sand Man1...If you see an old man on a red 900 custom waving you to pullover, it will just be me looking to see those 12" apes up close. :cool::)

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Sand Man1...If you see an old man on a red 900 custom waving you to pullover, it will just be me looking to see those 12" apes up close. :cool::)
Cool, I'm not far from you as I live off I35W and Sycamore School Rd. I usually ride south taking 67 to Glen Rose, ride down 171 near Lake Whitney and down FM917 and 1187 Crowley Rd to 377. I posted more pics on the Vulcan 900 pic thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cool, I'm not far from you as I live off I35W and Sycamore School Rd. I usually ride south taking 67 to Glen Rose, ride down 171 near Lake Whitney and down FM917 and 1187 Crowley Rd to 377. I posted more pics on the Vulcan 900 pic thread.
I bet I see you on the road. I ride I35W often and Sycamore School Rd. is what I take on my way to church. I bet I see you before you see me.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts