Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for anyone running this wheel on their 900. I was wondering what size and brand tire you are running or what is recommended. I am seriously thinking about doing this over the winter and what to get a list and a total together before I start anything.

Also is Mean Cycles the place to get the wheel and pulley from? I thought I read somewhere on here someone had problems with them. I don't want the tire mounted before I get it since I will be sending it and my front wheel to the chrome shop before its installed.

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That is a really nice wheel/pulley. But 18"? Really? The stock is only 15". They say it's for 200 tires but you'd need a really low profile. I'm surprised they don't list the actual size needed for their mod-free installation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
18" is the 240 Kit and 17" is the 200.

Stock Yamaha Raiders and Strykers both run 18" rears with 210/45/18 tires I believe.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
From MeanCycles web site: The Mimic wheel is designed for those who do not want to change the front wheel. It is a factory match in 18" x 5.5" for 200 tire applications. The Raider and Stryker both come stock with 18" rear wheels. Our 9ers are 15" stock. I'm not saying it won't work, just that they say on the website that it's mod-free but they don't say what size tire you need. To get down to nearly the same diameter you'd need a 200/45 but the lowest profile I can find is 200/50. That's about an inch taller than our stock tire.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SteveJB. I don't know why I thought the 200 was a 17". I'm not worried about the low profile tire. Thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed the Mimic 17" x 6.25" wheel on my 2009 900 Custom. I use a Metzler ME880 200/50x17 tire. Fits great and looks very nice. The ride is smooth and feels better than stock. I ordered the wheel directly from the Sumo-X website. I ordered the tire from my Kawasaki dealer for $233 complete and another $20 for mount/balance. I tried contacting MeanCycles but they didn't respond to my emails. Took a total of 11 calendar days to get the wheel from Sumo-X. Beautifully polished I must say. I also ordered the bracket to invert the rear brake caliper and that fits easily and clears up the overall look quite nicely. installation is straight forward just like changing a tire with the spacer provided by Sumo-X along with the wheel.

Larry S. - Florida

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Larry. How much did Sumo-X nail you for shipping?

And is the wheel a 17" or 18"? Mean cycles says 18" for both the 200 and 240 kits.

Do you have any pics of your bike?

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
Thanks Larry. How much did Sumo-X nail you for shipping?

And is the wheel a 17" or 18"? Mean cycles says 18" for both the 200 and 240 kits.

Do you have any pics of your bike?
Since he's using a 200/50 17 tire im gonna guess its a 17" wheel..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 18" Mimic fits either 200 or 240 tires depending on the width you get. Sumo-X offers the Mimic wheel for our 900 Customs as a 17" diameter and a 6.25 width. I am not positive on shipping but I believe it was $45 -$55. Note that any Mimic wheel for our bikes requires the use of the Sumo-X pulley and that adds to the price. I think for all I got from Sumo-X it cost me right around$1700 with shipping included (wheel, pulley & brake relocation/inversion bracket). The brake bracket is not required but opens up the view of the wheel. No pictures of the bike just yet. I don't have a digital camera and just haven't taken pics with my cell phone yet. Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll take some pics with the cell phone and email them to you.

... Larry S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts