Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 99 Vulcan 1500 I’m planning a trip from fla to sturgis bike has 80,000 miles debating on getting new bike how many miles is to many miles on bike I’ve only been rideing a couple years bought bike with 70000 on it it’s a beautiful bike and seems to run great still

·
Registered
309 Posts
Every year for the last 5 years myself and 3 others have gone cross country with the intent of eventually riding in all 48 lower states. Last year we went to Maine and back, about 6500 miles. One of us rides a Harley with that many miles on it. The other three have about half that. We've never had a mechanical issue, BUT, we're all maintenance freaks, and I think that's the key. Advice: make sure you ride with a buddy and have tow coverage. Have a plan in place about what to do if there is an issue either with the bikes or yourselves. We've had two flat tires and one major pothole that bent a front wheel making that bike unable to ride. There's a lot more to be aware of that's too much to list here, but as for me those are the key things if your concern is about the mileage.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I got a 99 Vulcan 1500 I’m planning a trip from fla to sturgis bike has 80,000 miles debating on getting new bike how many miles is to many miles on bike I’ve only been rideing a couple years bought bike with 70000 on it it’s a beautiful bike and seems to run great still
If it hasn't had the plastic oil gear replaced, I wouldn't ride it farther than I'd want to push it home, especially with that mileage. An oil gear failure at highway speed can mean just a few seconds to shut it down. Kawi replaced the plastic oil gear (POG) with a steel one in 2000 because of the failure rate.

If it was me, I'd get a second bike and maybe keep this one for a project. I wouldn't ride it cross country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts