Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the forum about the fuel gauge indicator being off and a fix for it is resistor. I was wondering. What the average mileage on a tank is? I been playing it say and when the gauge reads almost E I fill up but that's only 3-3.5 gallons at most and specs say it's a 5 gal tank. My last trip up and around Mount Rainier I got 180 miles before I was on E, and I still didn't use 4 gal of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, I'll try the resistor mod and see if that will balance out the fuel gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I would suggest to trust your mileage/ fuel used from pervious fill ups before I trusted any gauge, fixed or not fixed. After a while you will get a feel on how far you can push it. Having toured numerous times from Canada to Az and NV, I have never come close to running out of fuel, the reserve comes on and there is around a gallon left in the tank. If I'm paranoid about anything, its a flat tire on a tubed wheel in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
673 Posts
High 40's to low 50's on mpg here. Speed seems to drop mileage some.
60-65mph is the sweet spot for me.

I just finished going to Cle Elem and back this weekend, 400+ miles. More than half the time at 70+mph. I averaged 48.7mpg. Best 52mpg.

The resistor mod was one of the best and cheapest so far, 270 ohms here. I first used an adjustable one first to dial it in, less than $10 with everything.
Good Luck
Enjoy the weather!

·
Registered
166 Posts
resistor mod will not affect the lite coming on, I get a little over 200 miles before it comes on. takes around 4 gallons for a fill up and I did the 270 ohm resistor mod. before the mod at around 140 miles my needle was on empty but lite was not on. after about 4 or 5 tanks I did the mod.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Speed makes a huge difference. You can get a lot more range doing 65 instead of 80 on the highway, for example.

IMHO, ignore the gauge, watch for the light. When the light comes on, start looking for fuel. You've got about a gallon left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts