Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older guy, 65, semi-retired. Live in a small town just off I-5, between Portland and Olympia. Love to ride, whether alone in with others. Ride with PGR, but looking for others for rides that are a little longer and on a more upbeat note. Ride a 97 Classic 1500 and a 98 Honda Tourer....depending on the mood and the planned route.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you tried Hwy 4 from Longview to Long Beach? Or, from Vancouver on east. Great curves, great scenery. Another ride would be from Winlock, out King Road to Pe Ell, then on to Francis and finally Raymond. About 5 miles of that is dirt road over the mountain, but well graded.

Better yet, out King Road to Raymond, on to Long Beach by way of the old road along Willapa Bay, then back to Longview on Hwy 4. Now that I bring it up, makes me wish to borrow a bike and ride it next time I am up there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi there TrapperAH1G,
I like heading out to the coast from Longview. I like Hwy 4 on the WA side, but maybe I like 30 on the Oregon side more. Take it all the way in to Astoria. Cross the Columbia and come back on the WA side. That is a nice loop. There is a ferry in Cathlamet too that is a nice way to cross the river.

Also, go east at Woodland and up around Mt. St. Helens. Lovely country. It is great early in the morning.

Riding up 101 all the way to Sequim is nice too, if you do not mind looking at the clearcuts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have ridden several routes from home to Vancouver, Longview, Pe Ell, South Sound, Yakima, etc. Took a couple of rides today on back local back roads....dodging the rain showers. Thanks for your comments, tips. Will be making the coast runs this summer, along with the Olympic Peninsula. If my son doesn't chicken out, probably riding to New Mexico and back.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Welcome aboard the forum.
Lot of great roads in the northwest
But I am semi retired, have to do the bulk of long drives in spring/fall.

westcoastkevin: if you keep going for about 20 miles past Sequim two great rides hwy 112 & 101 through Lake Cresent

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm in Puyallup, closer to Spanaway, actually. I like going through Enumclaw, get onto 410 east heading towards Yakima then back on 12 to Packwood, Morton, Elbe, Eatonville and home. Its fun running over to Ocean Shores, just for giggles, too.
This summer I am definitely going through Morton over to Randle then turning right (south) to go past Mt St Helens, eventually picking up Wa 14 so I can run along the north side of the Columbia eastward. The return trip can be any number of different routes.
Anyone want to ride along?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm about 2.5 hours away I guess. Maybe we can meet at the Denny's in Centralia some day and BS some.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am very much thinking about an eastward Wa 14 run this year. Maybe spend the night in the Kennewick/Pasco/Richland area or even Walla Walla for that matter.

Anyone else up for such a run?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I answered this once but apparently it didn't "take" so here goes again.
As I mentioned above I am definitely planning on an eastward Wa 14 run this summer. I'm thinking of an overnight run, staying in the general Pasco/Kennewick/Richland area or even Walla Walla for that matter. I've not gone along the river's north side before and never on a bike so its something I am looking forward to doing for sure.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Interesting. NOW it shows up. Strange.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I work Thurs - Sat in Tumwater, able to ride any of the other days. Going to take a couple of months off this summer and do the long ride I've always wanted to do. From here down thru CA then over to New Mexico (and probably on to Texas to see family and friends), then come back going thru either Colorado or Utah. About half of this trip I'll be riding with my youngest son. He rides an '01 Classic 1500. I'll probably ride my '01 Nomad.

Interested in joining the trip east, maybe as a "training exercise", you remember those VN750Guy? Also, why not plan a Sunday ride....all meet up in Olympia and ride out to the coast and back? Southern riders could meet up and ride up together, any northern riders could arrange to do the same? I'm geared for cold weather rides but okay with waiting 'til it warms up some more.

Only group rides I've done in the last few years are PGR.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Call me Chris. That sounds like a plan.
First, before I ride one inch again, I need to fix the blasted air leaks in my front tire. The tire was on for a year before it started developing very small, but very many, leaks around the rim.
I thought I fixed it once but I guess I'll need to pop the tire loose again, THOROUGHLY wash the rim and tires edges, and see if that does the trick.
The valve stem is not the issue.
THEN I will be ready for summer!
I have a sister that lives in McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. I was stationed in Ft Worth at, what was then Carswell AFB, a B-52 base. The Navy has the base now.
I would really love to take a long trip like that but don't see how I could get out of family commitments for that long. Many a time I have made plans to go to the DFW area and back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am very much thinking about an eastward Wa 14 run this year. Maybe spend the night in the Kennewick/Pasco/Richland area or even Walla Walla for that matter.

Anyone else up for such a run?

We did 14 home coming back from Hells Canyon/Snake River a couple of years ago. We started in the morning from Pendleton OR It was October and just a great ride. If you are at all a Lewis and Clark fan (as I am) it was really cool to travel along the COlumbia River the same month they were on their last leg to the Pacific. Good road and the river stays mostly in sight. Plenty of little towns to stop for gas, breaks, lunch etc. I was going to come back that way last August via Lolo pass on a 2000 mile trip I did....but fires made going over Lolo problematic so I had to head south from Missoula all the way to Challis ID and then over to Boise.

Great route...hope you can do it!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am itching to take a truly long distance ride, something like you mentioned. But it is terribly difficult for me to do so because of family stuff. If I take off for a week or two it big-time impacts my daughter and her family. So any trip that I decide on taking of that magnitude would have to be coordinated with her family as to if they can handle the disruption my absence would cause.

I can easily do three-day rides though and plan to do as many as I can this summer. The Columbia River route is definitely on the agenda. I'd love to have some company along the way guys.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am itching to take a truly long distance ride, something like you mentioned. But it is terribly difficult for me to do so because of family stuff. If I take off for a week or two it big-time impacts my daughter and her family. So any trip that I decide on taking of that magnitude would have to be coordinated with her family as to if they can handle the disruption my absence would cause.

I can easily do three-day rides though and plan to do as many as I can this summer. The Columbia River route is definitely on the agenda. I'd love to have some company along the way guys.
I am fortunate to be retired since 2009. Every year since I have done at least one 10 day to 2 week ride and many 3-5 day trips. Wife retired in 2016. We get some grandkid duty but we joke that everyday is pretty much Saturday for us.

This year I am heading east in Sept to meet the 2018 Cannonballers coming from Portland ME to Portland OR (Pre 1929 bikes this year). They have a two day layover in Sturgis so will be there when they arrive. And I have hotels reserved for all their stops heading west as they move towards Portland.

Keep us in the loop on your plans. May-July-Sept best months right now for my riding plans.

Take care

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
About this time of year I start getting the hankering to GO somewhere. Anywhere. So for us western Washington folks lets start paying close attention to what either Steve Pool says on KOMO or MJ says on Q13 or whoever from whatever channel you watch. If the consensus from the assorted weather people says we've got a good weekend coming, what say a few to a bunch of us decide to meet in Morton at that burger joint beside the Shell station?

They've got that decent little place to eat outside. The ride just to get to Morton is at least something and then maybe those of us from in "here" can meet out "there". Even if we don't ride anywhere else, its at least something.

It might be a long way to go for those that live north of the general Tacoma area but for those south, its a nice run.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For Sure. That is a good morning/ early afternoon ride for me out Hwy 7 and over to Morton. Then up 12 and around the park someway heading home (Lakewood WA) via Buckley etc to 512. Late April and into May is probably going to be best for me on a weekend. Weekdays are pretty wide open usually.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm retired too and thought I'd have more time available for myself but watching the 2 year old grand-squirt is also rewarding. Be that as it may, I predict that this summer promises some good rides and meets with new people.

Looking forward to it.

Reactions: auwing1978

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are so many good day rides where we are situated. Mt Rainier, Carnation area, 101 from Oly up towards the HC Floating Bridge, Long Beach via 101, Gig Harbor/Wilochett/Olalla/Manchester/Belfair, Port Orchard. etc. Done them all many times and back for my afternoon nap usually! :wink2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts